Rumour Goodwin under close scrutiny

Remove this Banner Ad

That's fair, but the same applies to Worsfold who seemed to dine out on the same level of success and at least Roos' Sydney side didn't leave a trail of victims of crime and drug abuse in it's wake.

i agree about Worsfold but only one of the two went down media street strutting his goodesy and hallsy no dickheads to the world.

I don't think Yze wants to be a head coach (at least when I talked to him 3 years ago). I think they will go for an outside voice when goodwin is sacked later this year
When you think about it, being a well regarded assistant is a bit of a gravy train. They’re probably very well paid and can coast about for decades with no real scrutiny.

Stuff up as head coach and you’re marked for life.

Not sure is Yze changed his mind about a senior gig. But he did go for the crows job and I believe ran a close second. I reckon if Goody was sacked even if Yze wanted the job we’d be having a real good look at Mark Williams and Ross Lyon.

Roos worked a miracle in morale boosting but he didn't leave a lot behind in game plan or skills. Goodwin pretty much had to start again on the fly there. Roos also traded away a whole bunch of picks for instant improvement (which was really the only way to go). But bringing in Tyson, Vince, Bugg and others for short term gain has cost the list now. Melbourne have really had to do a mini rebuild since 2018.

And AFL support? Debt protection, a CEO hire suggestion and the same dodgy free agency compo here and there that every team gets, nothing like what the Suns have got and on par with several sides who have botched it under the recent AFL admin - Brisbane, St Kilda, maybe even Port in terms of finance protections.
Let's just take a breath for a moment. Yes it was a gutsy win against St.Kilda. Melb has the reputation of looking at themselves in the mirror and breaking down in tears at how good they think they are. Let's see how it looks after Round 19.

Let's just take a breath for a moment. Yes it was a gutsy win against St.Kilda. Melb has the reputation of looking at themselves in the mirror and breaking down in tears at how good they think they are. Let's see how it looks after Round 19.
Absolutely, nothing has changed on the back of two games, I was just arguing against the idea that Goodwin should be lumped in with the bottom rung of coaches of modern history if things go poorly for him this year.

I mean I thought if he went into ANZAC Eve at 2-3 he was in real strife. He has 2 wins and the players seem to be in form, and with names to come back too. Going to be very interesting.

I mean I thought if he went into ANZAC Eve at 2-3 he was in real strife. He has 2 wins and the players seem to be in form, and with names to come back too. Going to be very interesting.

GWS game be a good test, we love to drink our own bathwater and they are a team who will be looking to respond to a s**t start to the year.

Are you forgetting that Choco was pivotal in getting Dustin Martin on track as a footballer and a person. He was a mess prior to Choco. Without Choco's influence on Martin, you don't get those flags.

The issue with chocco is he divides a club

He starts of brilliantly, but after a few years he starts white anting those who are not in his chosen circle.

Much of the divisions in RFC in 2016 were due to chocco. Reiwoldt wanted to leave because he was over the drama, drama which was chocco undermining cotchin and Hardwick, and trying to convince jack to take over. Deledio was also one he was into. He was extremely tight with Martin, and did a lot for him. Martin didn't want to be a part of the friction however (as we know now he was very tight too with Hardwick)

Chocco has a great footy brain, and can make a great impact upon a club. The issues if Port were repeated at Richmond however, and my advice to any club is keep a very tight leash on him

He starts of brilliantly, but after a few years he starts white anting those who are not in his chosen circle.

Much of the divisions in RFC in 2016 were due to chocco. Reiwoldt wanted to leave because he was over the drama, drama which was chocco undermining cotchin and Hardwick, and trying to convince jack to take over. Deledio was also one he was into. He was extremely tight with Martin, and did a lot for him. Martin didn't want to be a part of the friction however (as we know now he was very tight too with Hardwick)

Chocco has a great footy brain, and can make a great impact upon a club. The issues if Port were repeated at Richmond however, and my advice to any club is keep a very tight leash on him
Interesting points. Thanks. In a weird way, I think that dynamic will work with Goodwin. Goody is very passive and underreactive in many different scenarios. I think he will benefit from having an agitator asking him "wtf are we doing here?" when things are going pear-shaped. It might only work for a couple of years, but believe me when I say we need some fighting spirit in the club. We've been polite and gentlemanly for far too long. I can wear the risk of having a volatile type at the club for a while. There might be an expiry date on such an arrangement, but I do think he brings a lot of value and intangibles to a club.

The guy eyeballed death and was lucky to win. You learn and change after an experience like that. No doubt he did..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The guy eyeballed death and was lucky to win. You learn and change after an experience like that. No doubt he did..
my gut he's one of those guys who cant help but to keep tinkering with the engine.

he gets things fixed and working, but then starts seeing probs where they arent.

not an uncommon trait (its why a lot of peeps become consultants)

To be fair Goodwin has made a positive start this season. Not just with the 2 wins. He has had to make do without his first choice key forwards. He’s given Jordan particularly a good go in the middle and has put a lot of faith and trust in Kozzy. Further we have been able to control the tempo and there is no doubt we would have s**t the bed against Saints last year in the second quarter.
At this very early stage it’s a tick for Goodwin. I have made it clear no finals this year and no Goodwin next year IMO. And yes I’ll acknowledge the coaching additions. That would have helped.

Last edited:
From what I'm hearing if we don't win enough in the first half of the season, it'll be Chocco interim coach till end of season and then Yze head coach next year.

Also I've been hearing that even at the moment, Goodwin is simply the face of the club and Chocco is doing the heavy lifting behind the scenes anyway.
So who is coaching ?

Well the players are certainly playing the best footy I have seen from them in years. They actually seem to be fully on board, the second efforts and team orientated efforts are always a very good sign of a side in the right frame of mind.

Can confirm this is 100% true.
I am keeping a VERY close eye on Coach Goodwin. And there is lots of scrutiny going on, let me tell you! Early days, but very nice so far in 2021!

Head of game day strategy or somehting isn’t he? Well you’re f’*d lol
Nah, we gave him the arse from that one. Now he's "general manager" of performance (ie: skills, psychology/medical teams), which means (if it's anything like where I work) he occasionally asks the actual managers how their job is going.

Can confirm this is 100% true.
I am keeping a VERY close eye on Coach Goodwin. And there is lots of scrutiny going on, let me tell you! Early days, but very nice so far in 2021!

Nah, we gave him the arse from that one. Now he's "general manager" of performance (ie: skills, psychology/medical teams), which means (if it's anything like where I work) he occasionally asks the actual managers how their job is going.
Well Melbourne are flying at the moment, he must be on leave

Nah, Chocco's only running circle work while Goody nips down the TAB.
Players are desperate for Goody to get an online account so they don't have to continually listen to Chocco's boring 2004 GF stories!
Don't need to go to the TAB nowadays. It is all on the phone and you can watch the race.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back