Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
Rookie Chuck McKay, give him a year. His old lad was a deadset champion and he’s got some real in your face about him. Feel like we should take a chance. One year on the rookie list, who cares? If he doesn’t impress, he doesn’t
I certainly wouldn't be averse to rookie listing him. He has enough footy attributes to work with. Hopefully there will be incremental growth in his game as the season goes on.

I certainly wouldn't be averse to rookie listing him. He has enough footy attributes to work with. Hopefully there will be incremental growth in his game as the season goes on.
With Marchbank going down, would Charlie be a good fit to be the backup defender and does the mid year draft guys go on the rookie list.

fs-acadeny-players.jpg

Any one got a clue who the guy standing to Akuei's right is? He has the makings of a good ruckman!

Also, I don't know what the parents of Tarrah and Mia are feeding them, but keep it up.

Nov 9, 2007
The honorable loss factory
AFL Club
Carlton
View attachment 1101038
Any one got a clue who the guy standing to Akuei's right is? He has the makings of a good ruckman!

Also, I don't know what the parents of Tarrah and Mia are feeding them, but keep it up.
Hogg looks like his old man.

mia papachristos could be a cult figure

Love to see that the Academy is back and that we're putting serious effort and resources into it.

Also stoked that in Uwandu and Akuei we seem to have two young athletic talls coming through who at least look like they are in the ballpark of possibly making it onto an AFL list.

We haven't had much joy from these academies just yet - particularly in comparison to some other clubs - so I'll be watching out for those two in particular with great interest.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
Tom seems a fair bit shorter than his 2 brothers. McKay is mid 180cm iirc? Toms just barely taller than that so would be mid-high 180s.

What's the go with Tom? Is this his draft year or was it last year?

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"

WEDNESDAY was a significant day at IKON Park, with the Club officially relaunching the Carlton Academy for season 2021.

The new-look Academy has taken on a restructure this year, with the Blues incorporating its father-son, father-daughter, multicultural and Indigenous prospects all into the one program.

Tom seems a fair bit shorter than his 2 brothers. McKay is mid 180cm iirc? Toms just barely taller than that so would be mid-high 180s.

What's the go with Tom? Is this his draft year or was it last year?
I've said in the past that Tom takes after his grandfather rather than his father.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Really hope we're putting a heap of work into Akuei. With his leap he's got the makings of a really exciting and versatile tall, and of the type that we don't really have, nor have we had in recent times.

Harry is tall and agile but doesn't fly, Pittonet and Cas can crash the packs but don't get much elevation, Gov can jump but can't stay on the park, Charlie coming off his knee issues may be grounded.

It's basically TDK in the ruck and that's it.

If Akuei can come on in a few years time as a third tall forward who can sit on some heads and go into the ruck and actually win the taps, I reckon it would balance our forward line out nicely.

Or have I got him completely wrong and he's a defender...?

Really hope we're putting a heap of work into Akuei. With his leap he's got the makings of a really exciting and versatile tall, and of the type that we don't really have, nor have we had in recent times.

Harry is tall and agile but doesn't fly, Pittonet and Cas can crash the packs but don't get much elevation, Gov can jump but can't stay on the park, Charlie coming off his knee issues may be grounded.

It's basically TDK in the ruck and that's it.

If Akuei can come on in a few years time as a third tall forward who can sit on some heads and go into the ruck and actually win the taps, I reckon it would balance our forward line out nicely.

Or have I got him completely wrong and he's a defender...?

He is a raw prospect right now, seems as though he hasn't settled in one position in particular just yet, but is rather splitting time between down back and in the ruck.

At 196cm with great athleticism he is a terrific prospect.

There's an article on him in the Herald Sun about a week ago - thanks to giantroo for this post...

Northern Knights unearth young excitement machine in NAB League win

The Northern Knights kicked off its season with a Good Friday win over Western Jets and may have discovered the next excitement machine.

However, it was Dominic Akuei’s performance that had tongues wagging with his marking, athleticism and versatility an intriguing combination.

The 196cm Old Trinity youngster started at full-back and took several intercept marks before being moved into the ruck, showcasing his mobility and leap, finishing with 12 touches, 13 hitouts, three tackles and a goal.

NAB League boys: Northern Knights v Western Jets. Akuei Dominic (Northern) and Paul Tsapatolis (Western). Picture: Valeriu. Campan

NAB League boys: Northern Knights v Western Jets. Akuei Dominic (Northern) and Paul Tsapatolis (Western). Picture: Valeriu. Campan

Dominic Akuei takes a mark in defence for Northern Knights. Picture: Valeriu Campan

Dominic Akuei takes a mark in defence for Northern Knights. Picture: Valeriu Campan

Knights coach Leigh Clarke said he expected to start getting some calls for more background on Akuei.

“Dom continues to literally come forward in leaps and bounds, he played full-back and took some amazing marks,” Clarke said.

“We had to swing him into the ruck because Fletcher Parkinson dislocated his shoulder so he stepped in against an AFL-listed ruckman from Geelong (Paul Tsapotolis) and almost jumped clean over him.

“It shows he’s able to impact in multiple roles and his mobility will also allow him to play on the wing, at his height and physiology could become a really exciting prospect.

“He won the 20m (sprint) and jumping at our testing day, which shows the kind of athlete we’re dealing with.”

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
With Marchbank going down, would Charlie be a good fit to be the backup defender and does the mid year draft guys go on the rookie list.
From what I have seen of Charlie he's a completely different type to Marchy & predominantly plays midfield with short stints in the forward line.

The mid-year draft is a rookie draft.

Back