News Coaching Thread: The Hardwick Era

Remove this Banner Ad

Id like footage of said game
All i've got is this shortened recount - Got thrown into CHB in boots about 3 sizes too big, Got 6 goals kicked on me in about the first 5 minutes and then mercifully got banished to the wing for the remainder of the game, Picking up like 2 kicks and a handball.

Turns out it things don't go well when you try and play Senior footy after not having played since Auskick, No matter how bad the team your topping up is.

All i've got is this shortened recount - Got thrown into CHB in boots about 3 sizes too big, Got 6 goals kicked on me in about the first 5 minutes and then mercifully got banished to the wing for the remainder of the game, Picking up like 2 kicks and a handball.

Turns out it things don't go well when you try and play Senior footy after not having played since Auskick, No matter how bad the team your topping up is.
Gee mate with skills like that im surprised the Suns didn't come after you during the Rocket days. Would of fit right in

Photo time?

The Coach till now has had an easy run but it’s clear that the scrutiny is now coming onto him.
Game Plan is questionable.
Mental toughness is questionable.
The development of players is extremely questionable.

How out of the spotlight this season also is Mark Evans? He’s becoming the scarlet pimpernel of club CEO’s. I never thought I’d ever describe him that way.

In 3.5 years we've gone from a team losing by 100 points to a team losing by 20 points.
It's an important step but we haven't progressed from there.

Whilst we're 3rd best defence this year we struggle to score. 14th for scoring despite playing 2 of the 3 worst defensive teams.

Doesn't help when King is our only forward that can kick straight.

In 3.5 years we've gone from a team losing by 100 points to a team losing by 20 points.
It's an important step but we haven't progressed from there.

Whilst we're 3rd best defence this year we struggle to score. 14th for scoring despite playing 2 of the 3 worst defensive teams.

Doesn't help when King is our only forward that can kick straight.
This is where it would have come in handy for us to have landed Josh Kennedy from the Eagles when we chased him pretty hard at the end of last season. He's currently averaging 3 goals a game so let's say conservatively he adds 2 extra goals per game for us this season. We'd currently have a season record of 3-1 with a healthy percentage around 125% and likely inside the top 4. People would be lauding us for 'turning the corner' and talking up our finals chances. Instead we're 1-3 with a few close losses that count for jack at the end of the season.

That's the kind of difference the recruitment of one proven key forward can make to a young team.

This is where it would have come in handy for us to have landed Josh Kennedy from the Eagles when we chased him pretty hard at the end of last season. He's currently averaging 3 goals a game so let's say conservatively he adds 2 extra goals per game for us this season. We'd currently have a season record of 3-1 with a healthy percentage around 125% and likely inside the top 4. People would be lauding us for 'turning the corner' and talking up our finals chances. Instead we're 1-3 with a few close losses that count for jack at the end of the season.

That's the kind of difference the recruitment of one proven key forward can make to a young team.
No doubt that Kennedy would help but I think he is effectively a replica of King.
In my mind we need a Brody Mihocek or Josh Battle (ie good version of Josh Corbett) much more than a Kennedy.

No doubt that Kennedy would help but I think he is effectively a replica of King.
In my mind we need a Brody Mihocek or Josh Battle (ie good version of Josh Corbett) much more than a Kennedy.
Difference of opinion. I remember posters on here were saying Sam Day just wasn't cutting it as a secondary forward before his injury this year and now we see how desperate we really are without Day. I'm certain King would be performing at a higher level if we had a guy like Kennedy in our forward line instead of Day/Burgess.

Despite injuries all we need to do is to improve decision-making, better execute and limit turnovers especially in red time under fatigue. Bowes had 9 clangers! which is inexcusable in his position. We also need to learn how to play less conservative especially in key moments and take more risks to transition from defense. Taking our opportunities is another big issue. By the way, despite having only King as a real KPF, we had more marks inside 50 than Carlton despite Carlton having 2 forwards over 2 meters.

You look through the league now and who would be gettable as a mature key forward that could hold down a role and help King develop and take some heat off him?
I said it last year, we should have had a real crack at ben brown. 60 goal a year kpf going for pennies on the dollar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You look through the league now and who would be gettable as a mature key forward that could hold down a role and help King develop and take some heat off him?
Difference of opinion. I remember posters on here were saying Sam Day just wasn't cutting it as a secondary forward before his injury this year and now we see how desperate we really are without Day. I'm certain King would be performing at a higher level if we had a guy like Kennedy in our forward line instead of Day/Burgess.
I'm not sure we do have a different opinion.

Both can be true - Day wasn't playing well as a secondary forward, but without someone to play that role we are clearly worse off. He was doing A job, just not particularly well. (I thought Burgess played better against Adelaide than any of Days games this year)

But of course we are going to be better with Day compared with no one

I agree we would be better with Kennedy in our team than Day

BUT I believe we would be better than any of the above options with a Mihocek or Battle type forward who can play a bit further up the ground in addition to taking a mark in the forward 50.

Despite injuries all we need to do is to improve decision-making, better execute and limit turnovers especially in red time under fatigue. Bowes had 9 clangers! which is inexcusable in his position. We also need to learn how to play less conservative especially in key moments and take more risks to transition from defense. Taking our opportunities is another big issue. By the way, despite having only King as a real KPF, we had more marks inside 50 than Carlton despite Carlton having 2 forwards over 2 meters.
Somehow we got given coaches votes. Must have been from David Teague!

Just saw a post on the main board that dew is 3 wins or less by the end of the year away from a coaching record on par with mark neeld.. is it time for him/the club to reach out to someone like Ross Lyon for support?

Just saw a post on the main board that dew is 3 wins or less by the end of the year away from a coaching record on par with mark neeld.. is it time for him/the club to reach out to someone like Ross Lyon for support?
I think you give him till mid year for that. A few winnable games coming up.

Hawthorn is not doing well , clarkson time .

Guess Rhys Shaw was partly that support
Although never had a winning pedigree so not quite the same

With this chat of Alastair Clarkson and Hawthorn assessing their future at the end of the year. If the season turns south over the next 14 weeks, do you ask the question? Tough, because I think most of us love Stewy, including myself, but to be a great club you need to make some ruthless decisions, and if by the end of the year, the club doesn't look likely for finals in 2022. Do you make that call?

With this chat of Alastair Clarkson and Hawthorn assessing their future at the end of the year. If the season turns south over the next 14 weeks, do you ask the question? Tough, because I think most of us love Stewy, including myself, but to be a great club you need to make some ruthless decisions, and if by the end of the year, the club doesn't look likely for finals in 2022. Do you make that call?
I think they have to make that call, otherwise players will start to leave and will be back to square one again. I don’t think even the most rusted on fans have the strength to go through a third rebuild not having seen any success at all

I think they have to make that call, otherwise players will start to leave and will be back to square one again. I don’t think even the most rusted on fans have the strength to go through a third rebuild not having seen any success at all
the thing is that we aren't out of it yet. Yes we lost last week but we can still get on a roll from here. Our losses whilst disappointing weren't blow outs bar one vs the flag faves . Surely that is a positive?

the thing is that we aren't out of it yet. Yes we lost last week but we can still get on a roll from here. Our losses whilst disappointing weren't blow outs bar one vs the flag faves . Surely that is a positive?
Agree it is a positive, but if we fall over like we did last year, a change will have to happen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back