Is this the best Bulldogs team you've ever seen?

Is it?

• Total voters

Contador

Club Legend
Aug 24, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I've been watching properly since about 2000, and this is clearly the best team I've seen in terms of personnel. The only competition would be the 08-10 teams and 15-16 teams. Those teams were all good but pretty significantly flawed in various areas, and we were always trying to plug holes with people like Aker and Barry Hall. Our midfield is pretty much 100% guns now (with middling rucks), our forwardline is a mix of quality talls and middling smalls, and our defense is very well stocked for our gamestyle (ie. a couple of decent/good big defensive players mixed with a plethora of gun intercept/rebound defenders). On top of that we have multiple players who are potentially top 10 players in the comp (Bont, Macrae, Treloar, Bailey Dale. This is the best Bulldogs team ever and we should enjoy it while it lasts.

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Based on pure talent. Yes. We’ve had more talent in individual areas, but across the ground there is more than our 2016 premiership side, and any other Bulldogs side, ever.

This side has multiple flag potential. They just need to stop getting ahead of them selves and get it done.

Dazb86

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You are talking like getting in Barry Hall and Aker was a bad thing.

I think this sides good. Probably a Brian Lake away from being extremely good. It's our best midfield by far and we've always had solid midfields.

Wetdog

I really am Aker.
Jun 23, 2008
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
The 2016 team started like this, and then the injuries hit - without all the injuries I still believe we were headed for a top 2 finish - a belief validated with our dominant finals campaign.

Agree 100%.

There is a myth amongst many football supporters that we came out of nowhere in 2016 and just played 4 weeks of great football in September.

I don’t subscribe to this. We played some amazing footy during the year, but then were curtailed by injuries which impacted on our performance.

We were only 1 win from a top 4 finish and 2 wins from top of the ladder.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, Melbourne City
85 team was amazing with Beasley, Dougie etc. I’m old so I can’t remember them all
Before my time, but...

Hardie, Royal, Kennedy, Wallis, McPherson...
Also Purser, Buhagiar, Sewell, Edmond, Daniels, Bamblett, Cordy x2 and how could you not mention Foster!!!

Also Purser, Buhagiar, Sewell, Edmond, Daniels, Bamblett, Cordy x2 and how could you not mention Foster!!!
‘OMG’ :$
It was an amazing year - every week Beasley and the team would beat some scoring record :rainbow:

May 27, 2002
Torquay
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs
Agree 100%.

There is a myth amongst many football supporters that we came out of nowhere in 2016 and just played 4 weeks of great football in September.

I don’t subscribe to this. We played some amazing footy during the year, but then were curtailed by injuries which impacted on our performance.

We were only 1 win from a top 4 finish and 2 wins from top of the ladder.

Agreed 15 home and away wins would normally get you top 4. At was a strange year in that the top 7 all had 15 plus wins. Plus the last game loss to Freo meant nothing as we couldn’t move up the ladder even with a win. We had a great year in 2016, emotion and believe was high.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apr 22, 2004
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
‘OMG’ :$
It was an amazing year - every week Beasley and the team would beat some scoring record :rainbow:

An amazing year. You'd have thought that adding Tony McGuinness and Murray Rance to that list in 1986, we would have been set for a sustained tilt at the flag. Instead, it all went a bit pear shaped :(

The 2 dogs versions that rival this group are the plough late 90s group (grant, west, Johnson, smith, Darcy, Romero, Libba, wynd, cameron) and the rocket late 2000s group (Cooney, griffen, Johnson, cross, Boyd, Murphy, lake, Gilbee, aker, hall, ward).

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

fred cook

Premiership Player
Jan 14, 2005
brunswick
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
nnn
The 2 dogs versions that rival this group are the plough late 90s group (grant, west, Johnson, smith, Darcy, Romero, Libba, wynd, cameron) and the rocket late 2000s group (Cooney, griffen, Johnson, cross, Boyd, Murphy, lake, Gilbee, aker, hall, ward).

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

not yet the 1985 side was still the best I have seen

bigboysdontcry

All Australian
Apr 19, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Easily the best team talent wise we have ever had in my opinion.

I’ve been a bulldog fanatic since early 80’s.

Best teams in order: 2021
1997/98

We have never had such weapons as power forwards as we do now with Naughton/English/Bruce/Ugle Hagen

I predicted this team would be top 4 at the start of the year. Martin and Treloar have made us so much stronger. All the younger guns getting better with maturity. This list if we can keep it together and to think we can add Ugle Hagen later in the season,has potential multiple premierships in them. It’s taken more than 30 years to see a list this good. Our time is now!

Back