The positives thread

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
How do you even find a post like this on a niche thread on the Lions board?

Do you have a search set up for the phrase “Ballarat”.
He made some good points though Brab.

All the clubs should have to play at least one game at Ballarat. Just so everyone gets the chance to experience this superb oval. Would go down a treat with supporters and sponsors as well.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He made some good points though Brab.

All the clubs should have to play at least one game at Ballarat. Just so everyone gets the chance to experience this superb oval. Would go down a treat with supporters and sponsors as well.

Don't worry about Ballarat. An absolutely spiffy location to play football at compared to Williamstown on a stormy windy day.

If our VFL team gets to play there on a bad winters day they'll know about it lol.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Don't worry about Ballarat. An absolutely spiffy location to play football at compared to Williamstown on a stormy windy day.

If our VFL team gets to play there on a bad winters day they'll know about it lol.
I went to Williamstown a few times when the VFA was huge every Sunday a long time ago now.

This was like travelling to another country. To be in the outer at Williamstown was like being on the set of No Country for Old Men. You daren't say a word. Just rugged up hoping it would be over soon.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Remember that BOTH teams have to play in the same conditions on a given day. So much frankly is ridiculously, even hysterically overstated by the media about the playing conditions at Ballarat. The oval is superb, the weather is no different on a given day to Geelong, and certainly is no worse than Hobart or Launceston. The AFL players are not China dolls, they all pretty much grew up playing footy and developing their kicking skills and accuracy on grounds that would barely pass as paddocks, being rained upon in Winter with no protection from prevailing winds. It is a Winter game after all. In Hobart the Southerly winds at Blundstone Arena are notorious and only North Melbourne have mastered the art of using them to their home ground advantage. Then of course there is a little phenomenom in Perth known as the Frematle Doctor, which hammers in East to West mid afternoon. Nobody moans when it monsoons at the Adelaide Oval or at Metricon or the Gabba ... and it has. So why the hysteria about Ballarat?
Probably lucky Payne was out injured, playing his junior footy for Noosa he might have froze with the wind chill factor...actually he would have been very busy in the backline with the 'Dogs' constant entries.
If it is anything like the NRL then the Dogs would likely receive money from the AFL to take the game to Ballarat. South Sydney use to play their NRL home game against the Auckland Warriors in Perth and now on the Sunshine Coast. Manly play a few games at Gosford, and Hawthorne and Nth play a few AFL games in Tassie.
Conditions not ideal, but not sure Dogs have a significant home ground advantage at Ballarat, actually we have a few Ballarat lads in our team, just think the Dogs are playing much better footy than us at the moment.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Remember that BOTH teams have to play in the same conditions on a given day. So much frankly is ridiculously, even hysterically overstated by the media about the playing conditions at Ballarat. The oval is superb, the weather is no different on a given day to Geelong, and certainly is no worse than Hobart or Launceston. The AFL players are not China dolls, they all pretty much grew up playing footy and developing their kicking skills and accuracy on grounds that would barely pass as paddocks, being rained upon in Winter with no protection from prevailing winds. It is a Winter game after all. In Hobart the Southerly winds at Blundstone Arena are notorious and only North Melbourne have mastered the art of using them to their home ground advantage. Then of course there is a little phenomenom in Perth known as the Frematle Doctor, which hammers in East to West mid afternoon. Nobody moans when it monsoons at the Adelaide Oval or at Metricon or the Gabba ... and it has. So why the hysteria about Ballarat?

Couldn't agree more.:thumbsu:

As I've said before, I like Ballarat and it has always annoyed me when people go on about how cold it is, the crap ground etc....

....you have expressed your post perfectly imo.

Bobby Beecroft

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2003
Junction Oval Goalsquare
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions THFC
Couldn't agree more.:thumbsu:

As I've said before, I like Ballarat and it has always annoyed me when people go on about how cold it is, the crap ground etc....

....you have expressed your post perfectly imo.

But if they can’t even attract a crowd of 9.000 what is the point? People vote with their feet.

At Marvel you might get that amount of Lions fans let alone the home team crowd.

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
But if they can’t even attract a crowd of 9.000 what is the point? People vote with their feet.

At Marvel you might get that amount of Lions fans let alone the home team crowd.
I would like to hear from the AFL with regards to the benefit they get from playing games in Ballarat. They must get a significant kick back $$$ or something. In my opinion the promotion of the game could be better served by providing the fans in Ballarat free transport to Southern Cross Station rather than play a game at a venue where the players dislike the conditions & the crowd is a fraction of what you would get should it be played at Marvel.

Dec 7, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Rabbitohs, Villa, McLaren F1, ENG
original.gif

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Would think the club would be in contact with Marcus/Will to see where he's at. Still weighing up his options or a pretty good chance of nominating the Lions.

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
That the best ya got ... pfft!

I'm glad it's got you spooked out. I'll pray to what ever footy God does the AFL fixturing for a Brisbane v Bulldogs game in 2022 :praying:

Just to keep it interesting :grinv1:

Last edited:

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
How do you even find a post like this on a niche thread on the Lions board?

Do you have a search set up for the phrase “Ballarat”.
LOL ... You hit search "Brisbane Lions v Bulldogs" ... There's a big "Search" button on the top right of your screen. It's no national secret ;) 🙂

It's all good.

LOL ... You hit search "Brisbane Lions v Bulldogs" ... There's a big "Search" button on the top right of your screen. It's no national secret ;) 🙂

It's all good.

What?

Given this is the Lions board and the Positives thread, I doubt there's more than maybe a few dozen supporters that would consider a game in Ballarat instead of Melbourne a positive, so moving on...

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
Just an observation, but there is a lot of negativity in this "Positives" thread. Buck up your attiudes guys, the world's not that bad. Heaven's look at who I barrack for and I can still keep smiling. So what have you got to whinge about huh? :smilev1:

Back