Preview Changes: R5 2021 vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

I doubt Kelly gets dropped this week (although he was arguably WOG last week).

However i'm not sure anyone else has the core strength to match it with Fyfe when he's up forward. Doedee can go to him, but that would take away our best interceptor.

However i'm not sure anyone else has the core strength to match it with Fyfe when he's up forward. Doedee can go to him, but that would take away our best interceptor.

You also want Doedee going to where the ball is, taking Fyfe achieves that.

He was nowhere near it.

McHenry, Frampton and McAdam for a start were far worse.
Wasnt one of his good games but he wasnt in the bottom 2 thats for sure.

I reckon this would be rubbish. If it were to be true, this would effectively be a contract year and that's not how you prepare for a new contract. Elliot has advisers that would be telling him that he needs to have an enormous year in the SANFL and ensure he takes whatever chances he gets with both hands. And let's face it, he started the preseason as our first choice CHF knowing it highly likely that Thilthorpe wouldn't make a round 1 side, so all he needed to do was keep ahead of Frampton. I'm not ruling it out, but it's much more likely that he does Jack sh*t throughout the break period, which is apparently what he did previous season as well. And Frampton has probably monstered him in competitive drills as well.
ALL players have 'advisors' (family/friends/manager, other players) giving them good advice about the year to come.
Your comments in bold italics prove the point about (Edited) Himmelberg's disinterest/disenchantment, or at the very least an extremely unprofessional approach if he presents in poor shape after the break.
Regardless of what we think:
--- Frampton has had 4 games; the first ok, the second weak and his last two have been woeful. WORST Crow player.
--- he has got to be dropped, or the Crows will shape up with 17 players onfield, + Frampton, and they'll need 18 fully committed men against Freo.
Much has been made about his 'usefulness' as a second ruck, but I haven't seen it. For that second ruck role, all they need is someone to unsettle/unbalance the oppo ruckman and not allow them to get clean taps (remember, Tex's first goal for the season came from some excellent bodywork against Jenkins at a throw-in on the edge of our F50). Our mids will also need to tighten up when RoB is not rucking. eg McAdam has springs in his legs. Having him jump in ruck occasionally would be more effective than Frampton has been.
If the selectors stick with Frampton this week, it'll be for reasons that are mystifying to me.

Last edited:
FB: Brown Butts Kelly
HB: Smith Doedee Hamill
C: Sholl Keays Seedsman
HF: Lynch Walker McHenry
FF: Rowe Thilthorpe Murphy

R: O'Brien Laird Schoenberg

INT: Fogarty, McPherson, Berry, Pedlar/Hately/Jones
(Mackay)

Changes:
  • Frampton - Impressive in round 1 but has done very little since then - 0 goals, 10 marks, 8 hitouts in the last 3 matches. Time to give Himmelberg or Thilthorpe a crack, they can't do any worse and probably have more upside.
  • McAdam - not sure the extent of the injury he's carrying but until the last quarter he was a non-entity. I suspect he gets a week off and we use Fogarty as that 3rd marking target inside 50, bringing 1 of Pedlar, Hately or Jones into the side.

Ya reckon? :expressionless:
For class Lockett >>> Fogarty, but the comparison is tenuous because of the disparity in career games. Better to compare them after Fog has played another 256 games ... if he does!
I'll throw Dunstall's hat into the ring, as well as Buddy Franklin who pots goals regularly from 45-55m out, on that weird running angle of his.
They're all daylight ahead of Fogarty.
It doesn't take 300 games to determine which player is the more accurate kick for goal. Admittedly, another 25 games would make the comparison a whole lot more valid, as Fogarty's small sample size is a clear limitation.

As I have stated repeatedly, I am not saying that Fogarty is a better player than Lockett - far from it. I am only saying that he's a more accurate kick for goal.

This is why some people think you're a troll Vader.

You make outlandish statements or adopt ridiculous positions, that cannot be reasonably defended...

But you do it anyway.
Fogarty came into the team to replace the injured Sloane.

In doing so, we weakened our midfield to the extent that the worst team in the competition were able to beat us for 3/4 of the game. Simultaneously, we also weakened our forward line, by unbalancing it and making it too tall & slow. Fogarty is like a witches hat when the opposition are streaming the ball out of defence. His presence arguably cost us as many goals as he kicked, due to the lack of forward defensive pressure - both in repeat I50s we didn't get, and opposition goals created by their ability to rebound easily out of defence.

We figuratively robbed both Peter and Paul, and paid nobody. If you're doing that, then you're certainly not helping the development of the other kids around him in the team.

ALL could be fixed by a big lift in fitness + a hefty dose of intent and application.
Did you see the block he effected against Cunnington in the middle of the ground (no-one else around), which freed up Laird to create one of our goals?
Fogarty has footy smarts, but with those legs and that build he needs to get much fitter. He oughta train with Sholl for a month or so.
He definitely needs to keep working on his fitness, which he's already improved significantly this year, but it's going to take more than a month with Sholl to do it. If he's going to turn it around, he needs to lose 5+kg of muscle bulk, which would allow him to make better use of his improved cardio ability.

A hefty dose of intent & application is an absolute must. On that, we are in 100% agreement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McPherson, to the eye, has had a poor 2 weeks, IMO, but hardly worth dropping.

If only he touched it 24 times instead of 23. ;)

I think I can only remember one horror moment against North (the kick that was a tad too shallow and got picked off 60 out from Norths goal), but I rated his game against North. Was stout when we lost momentum in the middle of the game and had good chemistry with Doedee, Hamill etc.

Here's what I'd do

Out: Lynch (injured), McAdam (injured), Frampton, Kelly
In: Hately, Thilthorpe, Worrell, Murray

Time to stop playing injured players. Lynch is clearly unfit/injured and McAdam copped a hit against North that made him ineffective for three quarters

There are rumors that Fremantle are bringing back Lobb. We can't go into the game severely lacking in defensive height and KPDs if we do

So this is how I'd play the team

B Brown - Butts - Doedee
HB Worrell - Murray - Smith
C Sholl - Keays - Seedsman
HF Schoenberg - Walker - McHenry
F Murphy - Fogarty - Thilthorpe
R O'Brien - Laird - Hately

I McPherson - Berry - Rowe - Hamill

Hamill can shift more into the mid-wing spot to allow Worrell down back, and providing cover for Lynch. Hately adds extra inside grunt. Thilthorpe straight swap for Frampton and Murray straight swap for Kelly. Forward rotations of Schoenberg (who was excellent at half forward), Berry and Rowe to cover for McAdam

Kelly to the sub

ALL players have 'advisors' (family/friends/manager, other players) giving them good advice about the year to come.
Your comments in bold italics prove the point about (Edited) Himmelberg's disinterest/disenchantment, or at the very least an extremely unprofessional approach if he presents in poor shape after the break.
Regardless of what we think:
--- Frampton has had 4 games; the first ok, the second weak and his last two have been woeful. WORST Crow player.
--- he has got to be dropped, or the Crows will shape up with 17 players onfield, + Frampton, and they'll need 18 fully committed men against Freo.
Much has been made about his 'usefulness' as a second ruck, but I haven't seen it. For that second ruck role, all they need is someone to unsettle/unbalance the oppo ruckman and not allow them to get clean taps (remember, Tex's first goal for the season came from some excellent bodywork against Jenkins at a throw-in on the edge of our F50). Our mids will also need to tighten up when RoB is not rucking. eg McAdam has springs in his legs. Having him jump in ruck occasionally would be more effective than Frampton has been.
If the selectors stick with Frampton this week, it'll be for reasons that are mystifying to me.
Well, that's not proof. The comments don't actually prove anything - unless there's like actual proof, rather than possibilities discussed on a messageboard.
For all we know Himmelberg absolutley smashed it in the break, and did 500 extra hours of training per day, came back so incredibly fit and good at football that he ripped a hole in space-time and we're actually watching 2019 Himmelberg on match days. It's probably very confusing for him, which explains his form.

What we do know is he's playing badly. We have no idea why.

I'm all up for dropping Frampton, so it looks like it will either be to debut Thilthorpe (in a home game against not-a-top-8-side seems like a good idea to me) or we'll go with Fog and Tex.

Or just not drop Frampton.

Interesting with McAdam

*If* I was coaching him one of things I'd be trying to instil is understanding the difference between being sore and being injured

It is interesting how many times he has looked down for the count only to make a miraculous return later in the match.

He also got warned by the umpire for playing it up for free kicks.

1) Well, that's not proof. The comments don't actually prove anything - unless there's like actual proof, rather than possibilities discussed on a messageboard.
2) What we do know is he's playing badly. We have no idea why.
3) I'm all up for dropping Frampton, so it looks like it will either be to debut Thilthorpe (in a home game against not-a-top-8-side seems like a good idea to me) or we'll go with Fog and Tex.
4) Or just not drop Frampton.
1) I see what you mean. If a player is fully fit and playing badly, it's either
--- personal/ family/ financial issues, OR
--- is annoyed/disenchanted/ doesn't like the Adelaide fishbowl/ whatever (we don't know), which affect on-field performance.
2) I watched the SANFL highlights and Berg featured in some of the plays. Frampton is playing badly; last 2 games woeful.
3) me too, and I'd love to see Thilthorpe or Worrell come in. If Lynch injured, Hately IN too.
4) Yeah/nah, drop Frampton.

Even if Lobb doesn’t play this week, we desperately need a second key defender. Butts will have his hands full with Tavener and Darcy has been a real handful when he resting in attack. I will be very surprised if Murray misses the 22 this week.

The question is which of our seven defenders miss out? Hammill? Kelly? Brown? McPherson? The other option is to move Brodie to the wing full-time and leave out one of the small forwards.

The otherkey match-up is our second ruck. Freo are using two genuine ruckmen in Meek and Darcy so Rob will be under a lot of pressure. It would not surprise me if Billy lives to ride again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back