eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
4D2D6325-E99E-44E7-ACB4-CFC83CCE8E19.jpeg
388211D8-179A-4A9F-A7DB-D8CF12493BA0.jpeg
Hello all and welcome back to another exciting year for potential AFL draftees, this thread will be dedicated to all things draft in 2021 and beyond. Be on the lookout for player notes, rankings and a rolling mock draft which have become a staple and as always I’m happy to answer any draft questions you may have.

Last edited:
I thought of players that GC would need and who could potentially stick around and just thought dogs might take a player like Wilmot. Raak can potentially play 3rd tall but if it’s a proper key defender you need most then I might need to adjust for next week

Yeah, we're well stocked for small/medium defenders. Crozier, Daniel, Duryea, Williams, and now Dale are very good, Ed Richards is at his best as a running half-back, Louis Butler and Buku Khamis developing in the VFL with Khamis set to be a long term Easton Wood replacement. We only really have three key defenders.

AFL NAB League crisis: Talent managers silenced, parents seething at trimmed-down programs

Interesting read on the discontent with the NAB League by Marc McGowan. AFL heads in the sand on this one. One coach overseeing 4 programs, and this 4-week break is a major fail given only 3 weeks of competition and very little pre-season. Players just getting into the groove forced back to local, leagues is not ideal at all. I would expect we will see more picks from outside Victoria this year and perhaps a few to come if this is not addressed. This is a subscribed article so I cant post.

AFL NAB League crisis: Talent managers silenced, parents seething at trimmed-down programs

Interesting read on the discontent with the NAB League by Marc McGowan. AFL heads in the sand on this one. One coach overseeing 4 programs, and this 4-week break is a major fail given only 3 weeks of competition and very little pre-season. Players just getting into the groove forced back to local, leagues is not ideal at all. I would expect we will see more picks from outside Victoria this year and perhaps a few to come if this is not addressed. This is a subscribed article so I cant post.
Unfortunately paywalled for us plebs.

Frustrated recruiting and list managers are already noticing the detrimental impact of the AFL’s trimmed-down NAB League and talent programs.
The Herald Sun spoke with 12 of the 18 clubs this week and there is significant anger and disenchantment about the changes, including a widespread feeling they weren’t listened to.

Some are more outraged than others, but none are happy and they remain hopeful of a bounce back closer to the pre-COVID-19 situation, believing the cuts to the talent area were too drastic.

The topic sparked genuine passion among recruiters, who agreed to speak on the condition of anonymity but most for background only, fearful of any blowback if they were to go public.

NAB League talent managers have been silenced, while many parents aware of how the program worked previously are seething.

Watch the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season. Every match of every round Live on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >

The AFL’s NAB League has seen cuts to its talent programs, with many recruiters not happy with the changes. Picture: Steve Tanner

The AFL’s NAB League has seen cuts to its talent programs, with many recruiters not happy with the changes. Picture: Steve Tanner
There was an acceptance the AFL’s coronavirus-drained finances would result in cutbacks, but talent scouts are warning the decision-makers not to take their Victorian golden goose for granted.

One high-ranking AFL club official told the Herald Sun the NAB League restructure was indicative of where league headquarters was at after the pandemic.

“I’m not sure any part of the AFL is as professional as what it was before COVID,” the official said.

“The NAB League is an issue, but even stuff like flights, the way teams move, and the professionalism on game day are a concern.

“I don’t think they’ve recovered, from a competition standpoint, to be as professional as what they should be.

“The NAB League is a perfect example of where the AFL are resource light and pushing everything back onto the NAB League teams – and they’re just not set up to be doing this.”

In a statement provided to the Herald Sun, the AFL pointed to all NAB League clubs having full-time coaches for the first time and that being possible because of the inclusion of girls’ programs.

The AFL says all clubs have full-time coaches, as evidence that funding is adequate. Picture: Valeriu Campan

The AFL says all clubs have full-time coaches, as evidence that funding is adequate. Picture: Valeriu Campan
However, the view from recruiters is that even with each NAB League club coach having “up to” five assistants, it is still leaving too much to too few, including some inexperienced coaches.

The revamp includes age groups changing from under-16s and 18s to 17s and 19s, an abridged pre-season that paled in comparison to other states, fewer matches, coaches working with both boys’ and girls’ teams, and the AFL Under-19 Championships moving to September.

It’s understood the AFL has also discussed with recruiters the possibility that boys’ prospects won’t be allowed to have their skinfolds taken, at the behest of the league’s mental health gurus.

This ruling is already in place for female footballers.

The four-week NAB League break after Round 4, when most players will scatter across the state to club and/or private school teams is another cause for concern, especially off such a brief pre-season.

There will be two representative games and VFL opportunities for the top prospects, but under-resourced recruiters are still hatching plans for how they will tackle that period.

The AFL is considering banning skin fold tests for the boys’ competition as it may be detrimental to players’ mental health. Picture: Sarah Reed

The AFL is considering banning skin fold tests for the boys’ competition as it may be detrimental to players’ mental health. Picture: Sarah Reed
Full-time recruiters are set to head to Western Australia and South Australia, leaving their part-timers to cover all points of Victoria.

Preparation for the AFL’s mid-season rookie draft will also be impacted, with fewer playing opportunities beforehand a problem for prospects and recruiters alike.

Most believe the top-tier players should be OK, but the fear is the kids who need more attention and development will suffer and potentially be lost to the sport.

One positive raised was the greater focus on the under-17 group would give list management teams a clearer picture on the years ahead, making future draft pick trading more viable.

The state’s most gifted young footballers started their NAB League campaign in the past two weeks without any trial games, apart from intraclub matches, after not resuming until mid-February.

They technically started their pre-season in December, but footballers trained in limited groups and some sessions were more introductory or even online at that stage.

Foxsports0:40
Pre-finals bye to be moved due to concussion protocol?

AFL: Coaches are considering the idea of moving the pre-finals bye to Grand Final week, so a player wouldn't miss the…

At least one former NAB League coach from last year worked one-on-one with players – for a fee – over the summer to help address the shortfall.

“We’re going to create haves and have-nots, because not all families can afford to do that,” one recruiting manager said.

“I’m more worried about the kids’ lack of development and giving themselves the best chance.

“From a recruiters’ perspective, we’re dealing with the same system as every other club.

“We need to make sure we’re keeping players engaged and the sport strong, because it’s definitely not as good a system as it was and we’re starting to see more and more cracks appear.”

Eyebrows are being raised at the subpar endurance testing results, while several recruiters highlighted the scratchy skills on display in the early NAB League rounds that fell short of the players’ intent.

The NAB League girls’ competition provides a pathway into the AFLW. Picture: Kelly Defina/AFL Photos/via Getty Images

The NAB League girls’ competition provides a pathway into the AFLW. Picture: Kelly Defina/AFL Photos/via Getty Images
The worry is players already on the back foot last year and further hampered this season will take far longer to adapt if they make it to AFL level, at a time clubs have smaller list sizes.

The decision to shift the AFL Under-19 Championships from the June-July school holidays to September has also proven polarising.

Some recruiters accused the league of hypocrisy for placing more pressure on players only weeks before school exams, while there is concern about how many players are usually injured at that stage of the year.

The national Combine will again be held in the week after the AFL Grand Final.

The AFL cited a meeting about six weeks ago with head recruiting officers as evidence that clubs were comfortable with the many changes.

This suggestion was met with incredulity from recruiting staff, who said they had already given individual feedback and by then it was too late to have an influence on the direction.

The AFL’s head of talent pathways, Tristan Salter, said in a statement the programs were remodelled and streamlined to offer gender equality on and off-field.

“The AFL remains committed to aligning the national, state and community programs and how it can best benefit the development, skill and pathway for girls and boys,” Salter said.

More Coverage
Power cult hero reveals biggest mullet critic re warning the decision-makers not to take their Victorian golden goose for granted.
“The talent pathway program will continue to focus on a holistic football program to best prepare players to make the transition to AFL and AFLW football.

“The AFL will review the 2021 model throughout the year to ensure that the AFL talent pathway program continues to deliver the desired outcomes for our players and the entire AFL industry.”

It's the by-product of the amount of money invested in NSW and QLD over the past decade as well as the amount of money poured into Womens football for what is relatively small commercial gain at the moment.

The movement of money has to come at a cost from somewhere. Pre-Covid it was probably easy to cover, now it can't be covered.

That money has been pulled from the Nab League system and Tasmanian grass roots.

If it came down to Arlo Draper or Matthew Roberts for pure damaging midfielder, who would you pick?
Got a feeling these two will be around the Crows first pick.

Also, with the new rules giving forwards the ability to lead and mark, they could be become more sought after.

If it came down to Arlo Draper or Matthew Roberts for pure damaging midfielder, who would you pick?
Got a feeling these two will be around the Crows first pick.

Also, with the new rules giving forwards the ability to lead and mark, they could be become more sought after.
Both are good forward of centre, Roberts the better field kick and Draper the quicker and bigger upside. Both are high impact but I’d lean slightly to Draper.

Van Rooyen at this stage seems like the best lead up mark in the draft but still need to see plenty more from others to get a good gauge

Likelihood of Blayne O'Loughlin to move into the top 20? 44 touches is nothing to sneeze at at any level.

Likelihood of Blayne O'Loughlin to move into the top 20? 44 touches is nothing to sneeze at at any level.
I do like him but not top 20 for me at this stage, it’s a deep talent pool so plenty of players are worthy for top 20 that didn’t make the cut. I plan on adding a few more names to my thread underneath the position banners of player I rate as top 30 possibilities

0 wins this year will put us on 13 wins in 3 years. Same as the Suns in the lead up to their priority picks. Not expecting anywhere near what they got but a mid 1st rounder shouldn't be out of the question.
I don’t want to get this thread bogged down in priority pick talk as it always does.. all that needs to be said is north fans are dreaming if they think they’re getting any sort of priority pick this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If only there was a 2021 AFL Draft Discussion thread that wasn't someone's rankings board to have these types of discussions! God that'd be a pretty good idea wouldn't it?

If only there was a 2021 AFL Draft Discussion thread that wasn't someone's rankings board to have these types of discussions! God that'd be a pretty good idea wouldn't it?

Ok - I will delete. Cheers

eDPS Haven’t heard of this Ben Dobbs kid? Just wondering why you think he is a good fit at the Saints. To be fair, I haven’t heard of a lot of the draft class yet. Only really seen Horne and Daicos.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hobbs is a contested beast inside midfielder, offers plenty of grunt and tackling pressure

Remove this Banner Ad

Back