Preview Brisbane Lions v Essendon Bombers, Round 5, Saturday April 17, 7:25 PM, GABBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the inclusion of McStay will make a significant improvement, his size allows him to influence aerial contests whereas Fullarton does not have that body size/strength yet. Will be interesting to see if they bring him straight back in.

I wonder which Essendon will turn up, hoping it is the flaccid version as opposed to the one that has been pretty competitive this past fortnight.

I think the inclusion of McStay will make a significant improvement, his size allows him to influence aerial contests whereas Fullarton does not have that body size/strength yet. Will be interesting to see if they bring him straight back in.

I wonder which Essendon will turn up, hoping it is the flaccid version as opposed to the one that has been pretty competitive this past fortnight.

He also could get matchups on interceptors like Ridley this week or Wood last week and drag them away from out more dangerous forwards

Fullerton too timid to committ to crashing a packs in his last few games. Its has been good for his development to get this string of games however if Dan is declared fit I would expect him straight back into the best 22. It would be huge to see Dan play 4 quarters of footy instead of being here one minute, gone the next. If he contributes for most of the game, he will help this team significantly.

He also could get matchups on interceptors like Ridley this week or Wood last week and drag them away from out more dangerous forwards

I don't want McStay doing defensive roles. After some very stagnant movement I want us being a bit more confident to go to a contest on the wing and McStay bring the ball to ground and hope Clugg or Bailey is there to mop it up and put it forward. McStay leading up the wings, Hippy CHF and Joe and Charlie deep.

First time playing against Daniher, I think that they will turn up ready to play.
It just depends on whether their young bodies can go the distance, after having some fire in their bellies to start the game.

I don't want McStay doing defensive roles. After some very stagnant movement I want us being a bit more confident to go to a contest on the wing and McStay bring the ball to ground and hope Clugg or Bailey is there to mop it up and put it forward. McStay leading up the wings, Hippy CHF and Joe and Charlie deep.

That's kind of part of the defensive role. If we can influence the play and drag someone like McGovern away from Daniher he can make it easier for Daniher

That's kind of part of the defensive role. If we can influence the play and drag someone like McGovern away from Daniher he can make it easier for Daniher

You are right but I really don't want him deep. Not like he's gonna be the key that suddenly unlocks us playing better footy but I really think he can be a massive improvement on our movement around the wing and half forward which has been, let's face it, s**t.

Gardiner was never that bad he was a victim of the way Leppa set the team up. All the defenders were told to stand in front of their player and then watched the opposition midfield stroll through the centre and kick it over their heads.

Leppa was trying to play a high press/zone with a team that was inexperienced and didn't want to run both ways.
A fair point, with the defence constantly under the pump, but I seriously had my doubts about Gardner during those early days, but i was wrong.

First time playing against Daniher, I think that they will turn up ready to play.
It just depends on whether their young bodies can go the distance, after having some fire in their bellies to start the game.
they have had a slightly longer break with the Sydney game last Thursday and we played on Sat. Early in the season but this is a very important game to get us back on track

be interesting McStay if he comes back..
Last year Dan and Eric went up the wings to get the ball and Charlie sat back with Big O
With Joe added wonder who of the three stays back?
our forward entry has to change.. As said last year we had Big O to take those English style stand and grab marks.
Fullarton could not do that. McStay can sometimes.
So kicking to a pack hoping a mark or spoiled to Charlie or Linc not happened this year.
Been hitting the ground or intercepted and run out.

It's interesting to see the debate over McStay vs Fullarton. From an opposition perspective, I'd almost prefer McStay because the obvious match up for him is better suited to him over Fullarton in Zerk-Thatcher, who is better against the slower, 195 cm types. Either way, I think we match up poorly down that end of the ground:

Francis - Daniher
Laverde - Hipwood
Zerk-Thatcher - McStay/Fullarton
Hind - Cameron
Redman - McCarthy
Heppell/Ridley - Berry

But it'll rotate around though, depending on who's there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's interesting to see the debate over McStay vs Fullarton. From an opposition perspective, I'd almost prefer McStay because the obvious match up for him is better suited to him over Fullarton in Zerk-Thatcher, who is better against the slower, 195 cm types. Either way, I think we match up poorly down that end of the ground:

Francis - Daniher
Laverde - Hipwood
Zerk-Thatcher - McStay/Fullarton
Hind - Cameron
Redman - McCarthy
Heppell/Ridley - Berry

But it'll rotate around though, depending on who's there.

Are we too tall or are you too short?

Are we too tall or are you too short?
It can be both. Our best side probably has another genuine key defender instead of Laverde though. Our players get on really well with Joe, expect something similar to what happened with Raz. Not sure the same thing will happen with Saad though

Hopefully our captain doesn’t spit the dummy this week . We aren’t winning anything while we have Zorko leading the lead would have to be the worst captain in the AFL. Immature little sook who stages for free kicks , goes missing when needed and lacks respect . Time to make Andrews captain from 2022 .
I don't know about not winning anything, but looking purely from the outside, he doesn't seem like the best example to younger players and isn't the sort of character I'd respect as a leader. But who knows, maybe he's well-loved amongst the playing group as captain.

It can be both. Our best side probably has another genuine key defender instead of Laverde though. Our players get on really well with Joe, expect something similar to what happened with Raz. Not sure the same thing will happen with Saad though

Bit of a running joke. Some here who look for excuses to rage against team selection will complain one week that we selected the wrong team because our forwardline is too tall but then also complain that our backline is too short.

Bit of a running joke. Some here who look for excuses to rage against team selection will complain one week that we selected the wrong team because our forwardline is too tall but then also complain that our backline is too short.

This would all be solved if we had 210cm players that could sprint very very fast

True, and Daniher will also be looking to show up his old team mates

Last edited:
Hopefully our captain doesn’t spit the dummy this week . We aren’t winning anything while we have Zorko leading the lead would have to be the worst captain in the AFL. Immature little sook who stages for free kicks , goes missing when needed and lacks respect . Time to make Andrews captain from 2022 .
Andrews is not any better when it comes to being immature on the field, his ego has got pretty big in the past couple seasons. Lyons would be a pretty good option for a couple years, until someone like Berry is ready.

Andrews is not any better when it comes to being immature on the field, his ego has got pretty big in the past couple seasons. Lyons would be a pretty good option for a couple years, until someone like Berry is ready.
Berry needs to worry about consolidating his place in the team before worrying about being captain. Andrews has got a bit sooky lately not sure it's him.

Zorks has been a fine captain all along . Neale should be next in line imo. Then McCluggage in 3 years/Andrews.

I prefer watching our defenders give the umpires hell after making a bad call rather then going into their shell and just taking it.
I too love our players giving away 50m penalties?

I prefer watching our defenders give the umpires hell after making a bad call rather then going into their shell and just taking it.
Yeah, but in the Pies game, Harris ripped into an umpire about a call costing us the game last week (Geelong), and how it shouldn't happen again... Except that the ump was clearly right - Harris did infringe, and then he looked like an idiot.

I too love our players giving away 50m penalties?
And too far the other way. Players whinge about calls 10 times a game (and I don't think that's exaggerating). When's the last time you saw a 50 for dissent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back