Bluemour Melting Pot XXVIII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except that they did say that they specifically wanted to play for different clubs. They'd had a whole life of being compared with each other and were well over it, looking forward to developing identities independent of one another.

Of course, this could have changed, but such things are usually fairly deeply ingrained.

I expecting both players to stay put for now, but it may come to fruition later in their careers

Great reply

I guess it's hard to quantify, in a team environment

If I was doing the for and against, it would be:

Barker's numbers across his career have never been substandard and has worked under a number of talented, innovative coaches/teams. Continuity at all levels is an important factor in team/organizational success

Barker, while having strong numbers and working under a number of talented innovative coaches/teams, may have grown stale. The positives of a fresh voice/ideas, normally outweigh said continuity if there is buy in to any replacement
There’s a case to be made each way here, no doubt.

IMO, I think the latter point you make is the most relevant. A fresh outlook would be good for a young and talented midfield group.

Any chance you could drum up some stats on percentage of clearances won, rather than just total clearances? Because when we're talking a difference of 1 or 2 clearances per game between the top sides and the mid-ranked sides, the number of stoppages within the four game sample size is probably a factor too.

Do you mean differentials?

If Norf continue to rebuild I’d like us to ask questions around Goldstein for a year or two. Martin went to the Dogs and it hasn’t hurt English’s development at all.

Goldstein would be ideal if we could get him at the right price.

Do you mean differentials?

Yep, illustrates the point I think.

We've won the most clearances of any team (well, equal with two others), but we're 9th on differential which indicates that our games have probably been stoppage-heavy, which has skewed our numbers more severely across four games than it has our opponents who have only played us once each.

If we're 9th for clearance differential and only winning 1.5 clearances more than our opponents on average, I don't think that's anything to write home about.

Yep, illustrates the point I think.

We've won the most clearances of any team (well, equal with two others), but we're 9th on differential which indicates that our games have probably been stoppage-heavy, which has skewed our numbers more severely across four games than it has our opponents who have only played us once each.

If we're 9th for clearance differential and only winning 1.5 clearances more than our opponents on average, I don't think that's anything to write home about.

I guess a couple of things need to be considered. The 1st 3 games were high scoring which adds to the extra numbers.

Tigers spanked us in centre clearances, the reverse to the Pies game

Dockers was comfortable

Suns love a negating, contested, congested game, where they also add extra numbers at round the ground stoppages

Add to that, Cripps playing hurt the 1st 2 weeks, then the slightly less attacking setup by Teague in the last 2 weeks

The added sample size of the next 3 weeks will give us a better picture of that measure

Early stages, certainly room for improvement

I’m even more happy we missed Shiel. Zero loss there it turns out.
I disagree, Sheil went over to the Dons and had to be the number one midfielder, which he had never been before. If he had come to us he would have been behind Cripps doing elite inside work, something the Dons still lack. I'm not losing sleep over it, but I think Sheil would have performed a lot better in our midfield.

That's not saying a lot in fairneas. there's a steep drop off after Cripps/Walsh. It doesn't make Cerra worth $3m over 4 years.

You don't necessarily play for the player they are, you're projecting the player they're going to be.

Yep 2022 version may or may not be worth 750k, but if Cerra elevates into the top echelon then he's comfortably worth the money. Think Boak/Cotchin just about to enter their prime.

IMO the club will go hell for leather if he's available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I disagree, Sheil went over to the Dons and had to be the number one midfielder, which he had never been before. If he had come to us he would have been behind Cripps doing elite inside work, something the Dons still lack. I'm not losing sleep over it, but I think Sheil would have performed a lot better in our midfield.
Of course he would... but he did a Goddard and went to the drug cheats instead of coming to Carlton. Wasn't Shiel a Carlton supporter growning up... a bit like Goddard it seems.

I guess a couple of things need to be considered. The 1st 3 games were high scoring which adds to the extra numbers.

Tigers spanked us in centre clearances, the reverse to the Pies game

Dockers was comfortable

Suns love a negating, contested, congested game, where they also add extra numbers at round the ground stoppages

Add to that, Cripps playing hurt the 1st 2 weeks, then the slightly less attacking setup by Teague in the last 2 weeks

The added sample size of the next 3 weeks will give us a better picture of that measure

Early stages, certainly room for improvement
And I would add the pies clearances were streaming fwd to our just chuck it on the boot

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

I was big time disappointed that they didn't shuffle any of the coaching chairs and bring in coaching talent at end of last year. You only need to look at Choco Williams and Melbourne to see the impact a talented Senior Assistant can have on the way a group plays.

But I suppose if they are now prepared to make a hard call this early in the season that shows a bit of a ruthless side to our administration I was beginning to think didn't exist.

I'd say I hoped it was Barker but others pointing out it's not. Bruce or Stanton another 2 names that have come from shocking cultures as players and could not be expected to be very good at coaching.

Can we not all start a witch hunt and run Faucon off the board for sharing the Bluemours please?

Strangely I actually like it when someone puts rumours in the Bluemour thread.

No reason to. Straight to the point. No point scoring or arrogance.

The last one everyone thinks we ran off the board was a multiple time banned user and admin pulled the plug on them, not us.

Or:

You cant handle the truth! Son we live in a world that has trolls, and those have to be guarded by mods with sticks. Whose gonna do it ... you? you ? We have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for the rumour monger, and you curse the moderators. You have that luxury, you have the luxury of not knowing what I know, that the rumour monger's banning while tragic, probably saved lies. And our existence while grotesque and incomprehensible, to you, saves lies. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you talk about parties; you want me on that board, you need me on that board! We use words like community, infractions, humble, We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something, you use them as a punch line. I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a big stick, and delete a post. Either way, I don't give a damn, what you think you are entitled to!

Last edited:
I was big time disappointed that they didn't shuffle any of the coaching chairs and bring in coaching talent at end of last year. You only need to look at Choco Williams and Melbourne to see the impact a talented Senior Assistant can have on the way a group plays.

But I suppose if they are now prepared to make a hard call this early in the season that shows a bit of a ruthless side to our administration I was beginning to think didn't exist.

I'd say I hoped it was Barker but others pointing out it's not. Bruce or Stanton another 2 names that have come from shocking cultures as players and could not be expected to be very good at coaching.

Bruce from a shocking culture?

He was an assistant while Hawks won 3 flags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back