Discussion Prison Bars debate

Should Port be allowed to wear the PBs as their home jumper?

• Total voters
Nov 20, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Portsmouth
Facebook is the pits of opinion, especially when it comes to Port. Everyone seems to have an opinion but knows nothing...

I even saw a comment about Good Friday Footy claiming it should be St Kilda vs Melbourne, purely for the “Saints vs Demons”, good vs bad matchup.

Would be a better matchup than anyone vs North.... *Runs for cover*

Sportsmad93

Debutant
Sep 19, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
I think they should be able to wear the prison bars, however they should add teal to the top like they had on their guernseys during the 2004 Grand Final. It's not the prison bars themselves, it's the colour scheme which is the same as Collingwood's. Get creative Port. Ditch the V jerseys you currently have for the prison bars with teal above. I guarantee it would look much better than the ones you currently have.

I think they should be able to wear the prison bars, however they should add teal to the top like they had on their guernseys during the 2004 Grand Final. It's not the prison bars themselves, it's the colour scheme which is the same as Collingwood's. Get creative Port. Ditch the V jerseys you currently have for the prison bars with teal above. I guarantee it would look much better than the ones you currently have.
This has been brought up hundreds of times by oppo fans on the Port board, I just keep replying with it's a great idea for an away/clash jumper, you can mess around with that, but the home prison bars jumper should be in its proper form.

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This has been brought up hundreds of times by oppo fans on the Port board, I just keep replying with it's a great idea for an away/clash jumper, you can mess around with that, but the home prison bars jumper should be in its proper form.
Then wear the ‘proper’ prison bars when occasionally allowed, like nowadays. And for the rest of the time wear a prison bars jumper. At least you would be showing the football world you were serious about the prison bars design, and they would be part of every guernsey you wear. I would personally go for the grey and black home, grey and white clash and drop teal altogether? But that’s your choice as a club. But don’t tell us they are so important, then wear a V design every week.
Let the football public, who know nothing of these debates, see the prison bars on Port Adelaide’s jumper every week and build brand identity with them. And show us they are important, because it’s seems like the club is acting like a spoiled child saying “the Collingwood like prison bars or nothing.”!

And show us they are important, because it’s seems like the club is acting like a spoiled child saying “the Collingwood like prison bars or nothing.”!

We’re showing how important they are to us by not giving up on the prison bar guernsey in its unadulterated form.

We already have our compromise guernsey in the chevron design.

Nov 20, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Portsmouth

Oh boy.

Can of worms in 3....2....

Then wear the ‘proper’ prison bars when occasionally allowed, like nowadays. And for the rest of the time wear a prison bars jumper. At least you would be showing the football world you were serious about the prison bars design, and they would be part of every guernsey you wear. I would personally go for the grey and black home, grey and white clash and drop teal altogether? But that’s your choice as a club. But don’t tell us they are so important, then wear a V design every week.
Let the football public, who know nothing of these debates, see the prison bars on Port Adelaide’s jumper every week and build brand identity with them. And show us they are important, because it’s seems like the club is acting like a spoiled child saying “the Collingwood like prison bars or nothing.”!
The problem with this take though is that the situation nowadays is that the AFL never grant Port permission to wear it unless it's backed by years of prodding or an exceptional circumstance. I mean you can see this from the gaps between each time the bars were worn at AFL level.

2003: The first heritage round so it makes sense to wear the most iconic Port jumper right? Funnily enough it wasn't the design we would usually think of as the prison bars (as in the 2003 had no white trimmings or a number panel) it was a nod to the 1914 invincibles team so that was cool.
Then in 2004 and 2005 we wore different heritage jumpers, we asked to wear the bars in 2006 and were denied due to Collingwood and wore our lightning clash jumper of the time against St Kilda.
2007: The AFL gave in to the pressure under the proviso we would only wear them in heritage round games not involving Collingwood. Conveniently, as far as Collingwood and Port are concerned this was the last heritage round as the 2008 edition only involved Melbourne and Geelong. So there's a solid attempt by the AFL to throttle the use of the jumper.
So now there's a weird limbo period where there's no post-Heritage round precedent until...
2013: We get to wear the jumper in the last AFL game at Football Park against Carlton which is just a weird occasion for it. Sure, I'm glad we wore it and yeah we won a few flags at Football Park but the less said about the horrible stadium deals at a stadium plastered in Crows branding, the better.
Then, 100 years after 1914 we ask to wear the invincibles jumper (from a season where we were undefeated SAFL premiers, won the Championship of Australia and beat a combined rest-of-SAFL team, pretty handy achievements) we are declined, however later in the year we know the fiasco that lead to...
2014: Richmond's clash jumper is deemed ineffective against Port because of course it ******* isn't, and I reckon the AFL granted us permission to wear the jumper because they thought we wouldn't be able to get it done, but we did and looked damn good steamrolling Richmond that day.
Then despite the massive momentum that game should've provided, we just didn't get to wear them again. Starting in late 2018 though the Bring Back The Bars campaign began and over a year later..
2020: To honour the club's 150th anniversary we got to wear them once more. Collingwood were prepared to oblige (because the AFL have decided it's up to them which is another ******* LOL) provided we never wear them again (sigh).
5 occasions in 25 years is abysmal, but it'd be far less if the club wasn't "acting like a spoiled child"

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
Says the supporter of a club that literally won't wear anything but a red sash surrounded by some sort of black on any jumper.

Nov 20, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Portsmouth
Our clash guernseys are red. It's Collingwood that don't wear anything much in an away or clash form.

Collingwood's away jumper is actually the most effective - when worn appropriately.

Baird

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 3, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
There is no debate, it's too similar to Collingwoods. Port fans can cope and cry about Eddie all they want but they need to accept that it will NEVER be their home jumper. Just move on.

Also it's not even that good so why do they care so much? The original power strip is better. Wouldn't you prefer the power to have their own identity instead of just being the magpies?

Nov 20, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Portsmouth
There is no debate, it's too similar to Collingwoods. Port fans can cope and cry about Eddie all they want but they need to accept that it will NEVER be their home jumper. Just move on.

Also it's not even that good so why do they care so much? The original power strip is better. Wouldn't you prefer the power to have their own identity instead of just being the magpies?

We don't want them as our home jumper full time. That has never been the club's stance. All we want to is wear them once or twice a season for heritage matches/rounds and showdowns, without the drama. That's it.

Mr39

Club Legend
Mar 3, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We don't want them as our home jumper full time. That has never been the club's stance. All we want to is wear them once or twice a season for heritage matches/rounds and showdowns, without the drama. That's it.

Speak for yourself. If the opportunity to wear it full time was a possibility, I, and many other port members would be 100% behind it.

The Prison Bars is a Port Adelaide jumper. The black and white stripes is a Collingwood jumper. Both supporter bases are smart enough to know the difference. And when we play each other, there wouldn't be a clash, because we'd probably be wearing a clash jumper with different colours in this scenario.

Nov 20, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Portsmouth
Speak for yourself. If the opportunity to wear it full time was a possibility, I, and many other port members would be 100% behind it.

So would I and it would be bloody awesome. But the *clubs stance* is currently the bare minimum, that is heritage matches and showdowns. Literally once or twice a year.

Wouldn't you prefer the power to have their own identity instead of just being the magpies?

No one is arguing that we should be the Magpies. No one.

Why would we stop fighting for what we believe in? Even if it takes another 100 years, why would we stop?

Would you stop fighting for anything you believe in?

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
No one is arguing that we should be the Magpies. No one.
The Magpies name is dead anyway, I don't know why Collingwood supporters are so obsessed with it. There's no reference to the Magpies on the guernsey these days, just the current 'PA' logo 🤷‍♂️

Non-Port fan doesn’t understand why Port are attached to their jumper. What’s new? At the very least as an Eagles fan you of all people should be able to empathise given the whole issue with the wings/tri panel.

Port Pies.png

/thread

Back