Music Documentaries...

Remove this Banner Ad

I've recently watched the Country Music series on SBS (apparently a lot more footage in the original PBS production) - very good history of country.

Last night I watched the Beastie Boys doco on Apple TV+ - highly recommended.

I watched A Band Called Death the other night and was actually pretty disappointed with it. The music Death produced was killer and there is an interesting story in there, but the film itself was pretty boring. Has anyone else seen it?

Is it the one where they give Chuck s**t for canceling tours?
I've got no idea what you're referring to haha. A Band Called Death is about three brothers in the early 70s that started a punk band a few years before punk existed, but their album never got released due to their record label pulling their deal because they refused to change their band name to something else.

I've got no idea what you're referring to haha. A Band Called Death is about three brothers in the early 70s that started a punk band a few years before punk existed, but their album never got released due to their record label pulling their deal because they refused to change their band name to something else.
Lmfao
Im thinking of the band...Death

But gotta say
Yours sounds interesting

I've recently watched the Country Music series on SBS (apparently a lot more footage in the original PBS production) - very good history of country.
That was a Ken Burns production - that's why it was a quality production - with his favourite narrator, actor Peter Coyote. Google him and you will recognize his face, he has done hundreds of bit pieces in movies over 50 years, never the star, and has been a voice over actor for docs for 25-30 years.

Burns' Country Music 8 x 2hrs nicely complemented his Jazz doco series of 10 x 2hrs from 2001. No more music stuff in his future projects for the next few yers.

As someone who doesn't mind some country music, rather than a greater lover of it, I knew Dolly Parton was a prodigious writer, producer of other people's songs but had no idea how influential Willie Nelson was away from his own performances over the last 60 years, and also the impact of Kris Kristofferson. Never new he wrote Me and Bobby McGee and had recorded it before Janis Joplin. Loved the Johnny Cash stuff in the series.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This a nice breezy watch. I’m going through a big Modest Mouse phase at the moment, and TLCW is their opus.

Tracks their progression from playing in basements to recording their first LP and the covered a heap of the key songs from TLCW. Bit of a cultural piece really - looks at Isaac Brock writing about the mini mall landscape emerging around him, and the effects that was having on the places he was living in.

There’s a few in this series floating around. I saw maybe 15 minutes on the Soft Bulletin, and that was pretty cool too.

This a nice breezy watch. I’m going through a big Modest Mouse phase at the moment, and TLCW is their opus.

Tracks their progression from playing in basements to recording their first LP and the covered a heap of the key songs from TLCW. Bit of a cultural piece really - looks at Isaac Brock writing about the mini mall landscape emerging around him, and the effects that was having on the places he was living in.

There’s a few in this series floating around. I saw maybe 15 minutes on the Soft Bulletin, and that was pretty cool too.

Top 10 of all time. Moon & Antarctica not far behind.

This thread being bumped reminded me that I watched Martin Scorsese's Last Waltz on SBS on New Years Eve. So did Jimmy Barnes as per his tweet below doing the song Helpless, which Neil Young did in the doco.

It was about The Band's last performance on Thanksgiving Day in 1976, at Winterland Ballroom in San Francisco. The Band invited many of their friends and people they had performed with headlined by Bob Dylan who they supported and worked as basically his band for years. Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Muddy Waters, Ringo Starr, Eric Clapton, Ronnie Wood, Van Morrison and many others join them over the show as well as doing big group jams at the end.

The doco was 2 hours but the show itself, with breaks went for about 4 hours.

Scorsese has done several music doco. Maybe he can do one on TISM given they have did a song about him 30 years ago. From his wiki page

As a fan of rock music, he has directed several documentaries on the subject after editing Woodstock (1970), including The Last Waltz (1978), No Direction Home (2005), Shine a Light (2008), George Harrison: Living in the Material World (2011), and Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story by Martin Scorsese (2019).

This thread being bumped reminded me that I watched Martin Scorsese's Last Waltz on SBS on New Years Eve. So did Jimmy Barnes as per his tweet below doing the song Helpless, which Neil Young did in the doco.

It was about The Band's last performance on Thanksgiving Day in 1976, at Winterland Ballroom in San Francisco. The Band invited many of their friends and people they had performed with headlined by Bob Dylan who they supported and worked as basically his band for years. Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Muddy Waters, Ringo Starr, Eric Clapton, Ronnie Wood, Van Morrison and many others join them over the show as well as doing big group jams at the end.

The doco was 2 hours but the show itself, with breaks went for about 4 hours.

Scorsese has done several music doco. Maybe he can do one on TISM given they have did a song about him 30 years ago. From his wiki page

As a fan of rock music, he has directed several documentaries on the subject after editing Woodstock (1970), including The Last Waltz (1978), No Direction Home (2005), Shine a Light (2008), George Harrison: Living in the Material World (2011), and Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story by Martin Scorsese (2019).

Still has good pitch.

Saw them in 2008 at V fest. They were awesome

“Cosmic Psychos. Blokes you can Trust.”
Doco from about 2014, on Amazon Prime. Missed it somehow until now.
******* brilliant! Had me in tears (of laughter) at times. What a life those Aussie boys have lived.
Best music doco I’ve seen in a while. So Aussie! Legends!

Edit. Found it on youtube for all you old punks!🍻🍻🍻🍻

Last edited:
“Cosmic Psychos. Blokes you can Trust.”
Doco from about 2014, on Amazon Prime. Missed it somehow until now.
******* brilliant! Had me in tears (of laughter) at times. What a life those Aussie boys have lived.
Best music doco I’ve seen in a while. So Aussie! Legends!

Edit. Found it on youtube for all you old punks!🍻🍻🍻🍻

That was excellent. Thanks for the link.

The ABC/TV Plus have been showing various music documentaries on a Wednesday night, they started with "Hitsville" about Motown a few weeks ago which was very good and last Wednesday they had a doco on a-Ha that didn't really interest me.

In between they had a documentary on The Go-Go's which was brilliant and really informative. What I really enjoyed was they spent a first 30 minutes or so on their beginnings in the LA Punk scene and tour of the UK. It was great seeing a young Belinda in spikey shoes and a dress made out of a garbage bag and Jane Wiedlin looking more like Steve Severin (original member of Siouxsie and The Banshees for those who don't know who he is) than the cute little guitarist I had a crush on a few years later. It is worth a viewing if your a fan of the era, or the band.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back