Casefile podcasts

tombomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
The Caffey Family episode

Really kind of summed up why I think the episodes aren't quite as good as they used to be. While I found it gripping and the case itself is quite terrifying to think about, I felt like at the end I just had way more questions than answers.

It seemed to be a fairly superficial analysis of the case, especially if I look at a very similar case, Jennifer Pan, which really delved into the psychology of the murder and what drove her.

In short, I thought it was an incredible case but the episode itself was kind of meh.

The Caffey Family episode

Really kind of summed up why I think the episodes aren't quite as good as they used to be. While I found it gripping and the case itself is quite terrifying to think about, I felt like at the end I just had way more questions than answers.

It seemed to be a fairly superficial analysis of the case, especially if I look at a very similar case, Jennifer Pan, which really delved into the psychology of the murder and what drove her.

In short, I thought it was an incredible case but the episode itself was kind of meh.

I agree to an extent. I’m still a big fan and contribute to the Patreon, but there’s definitely something missing these days. Looking at the episode credits, the two writers that did most of the ‘classic’ episodes, Anna Priestland and Victoria Dieffenbacher, no longer write for the show. I don’t think the current writers are as good or as thorough as they used to be and they’re just churning out the content.

The other thing may be that the market for true crime podcasts is just so saturated now that pretty much every case has been covered in great detail by multiple shows that it’s hard to find a new angle on things.

I agree to an extent. I’m still a big fan and contribute to the Patreon, but there’s definitely something missing these days. Looking at the episode credits, the two writers that did most of the ‘classic’ episodes, Anna Priestland and Victoria Dieffenbacher, no longer write for the show. I don’t think the current writers are as good or as thorough as they used to be and they’re just churning out the content.

I've noticed the change on Casefile and looked at who was writing after I listened to one that was a bit jarring in that it didn't quite flow with the usual style. There was something in it that also sounded like BS the way it was worded. Then the Family Murders pod was released and there was a piece of information in there that stunned most of us, it was the suggestion of cannabalism and it had us trying to find out where that detail was found.

Casefile's writer had misinterpreted the saw dismemberment of a victim, creating 'teeth' marks (of a saw) on the vertebrae as 'bite' marks. Bits found the reference in Young Blood, the book Casefile used as a resource.

metic

Club Legend
Nov 20, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I've noticed the change on Casefile and looked at who was writing after I listened to one that was a bit jarring in that it didn't quite flow with the usual style. There was something in it that also sounded like BS the way it was worded. Then the Family Murders pod was released and there was a piece of information in there that stunned most of us, it was the suggestion of cannabalism and it had us trying to find out where that detail was found.

Casefile's writer had misinterpreted the saw dismemberment of a victim, creating 'teeth' marks (of a saw) on the vertebrae as 'bite' marks. Bits found the reference in Young Blood, the book Casefile used as a resource.

Yes that was a bit weird the way they mentioned teeth marks. Badly interpreted info.
That latest episode about JJD the golden State killer is more x-rated than other episodes. Pretty good episode after all the other 5 gsk/ ear / ons episodes before it.

Yes that was a bit weird the way they mentioned teeth marks. Badly interpreted info.
That latest episode about JJD the golden State killer is more x-rated than other episodes. Pretty good episode after all the other 5 gsk/ ear / ons episodes before it.

Thanks Met, I'll check in today. Nothing beat Casefile imo for their series on the EAR, it was brilliant.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC

The other thing may be that the market for true crime podcasts is just so saturated now that pretty much every case has been covered in great detail by multiple shows that it’s hard to find a new angle on things.

Have to agree with both your takes. I have felt they've fallen in quality for about a year now but couldn't put my finger on why. Perhaps you've found a reason. It's definitely not as engaging as it used to be.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
I could be completely wrong but some of the ones that I’ve recently found to be lacking quality sound like they are previous episodes that were done in the early days of the podcast. There’s been a few that just don’t sound the same as the other ones around it to me.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
the last podcast is unbelievable
1:shooting your own sister and brother-in-law
2: rooting your sister
3: showing your girlfriend/future wife your victims
4: the wife saying nothing for 23 years and having 3 kids with him
5: saying all those things to your family and they didn’t twing

the guy is an absolute psychopath

tombomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney

This one is complicated.
It has to be best episode lately
Valerie Storie + Michael Gregsten

Good episode, also kind of frustrating.

Because unlike the caffey family, where the girl is just straight up manipulating and torturing her father at the end and you can hate her.

Hanratty saying he is innocent and telling his family to keep fighting for him etc .. after he is dead .... is almost worse than the actual crime he committed - but he genuinely sounded like he thought he was innocent.

Has anyone requested a case? I've just sent this email.

1637353859744.png

freddy mercury

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2009
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Jacksonville
Just went back and listened to the Mr Stinky episode on my walk today. Fantastic episode, one of my favs, the bloke was a dead set psychopath.

Last year I was fascinated listening to this:

1666780430699.png

For those unaware, Netflix has a seven part series called 'The Watcher' which is based on the events of 657 Boulevard. I was completely unaware of this until Sunday.

I'd seen 'The Watcher' advertised on Netflix, featuring in the 'top 10' and 'popular now' lists. However, I didn't put two and two together to realise it was about 657 Boulevard. TBH, I don't think I was paying careful enough attention because I assumed it was 'The Witcher' I was seeing advertised, which is a completely different Netflix series. It makes me wonder if anyone here familiar with the case has also has a similar misunderstanding.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
I can’t work out what’s happened with their latest episode El Mataviejitas, I’m sure it’s been an episode before, but they’ve released it like it’s a new episode.
I started listening to it and it confirmed that I have heard it before.
Are you a premium subscriber? It's happened a couple of times where they've released it early for paid subscribers and then rerelease them to the general public.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Are you a premium subscriber? It's happened a couple of times where they've released it early for paid subscribers and then rerelease them to the general public.
No I’m not although I did do a trial for a week, would have been long odds for it to have been released just in that week.

Back