Preview Brisbane Lions v Essendon Bombers, Round 5, Saturday April 17, 7:25 PM, GABBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to see on AFL 360 King highlight a few things wrong with the team.

For those that can’t watch it. Highlighted Andrews and Neale and a little bit of Zorko. Showed a video with a few times where Neale hasn’t done the right thing when defending. Andrews being beaten in one on ones isn’t really showing much but they did say last year he only lost 1 in 6 contests but this year it’s 1 in 3.

They also showed a few stats about our lack of turning the ball over and marks inside 50.
Andrews has looked a lot off the pace so far this season.

I really don’t like the amount of room our tall defenders often give their opponents. We just don’t recover fast enough to even spoil a leading forward.

I’d also really like them to highlight Charlie appearing lost in the forward line.

Needs to get back to being that pressure, defensive small forward, and let the goals come to him via turnovers.

Andrews has looked a lot off the pace so far this season.

I really don’t like the amount of room our tall defenders often give their opponents. We just don’t recover fast enough to even spoil a leading forward.

I’d also really like them to highlight Charlie appearing lost in the forward line.

Needs to get back to being that pressure, defensive small forward, and let the goals come to him via turnovers.

I still think Andrews has been good - just a bit more shaky than we are used to. I wonder how much of that is because of what has been going on up the field. In the middle is where the biggest issue has been.

Actually they highlighted on 360 tonight that unlike last year, we aren't winning the ball and we're not able to win the ball back through midfield turnovers.

Really hurts our defenders ability when there is lax defence further up the ground.

I still think Andrews has been good - just a bit more shaky than we are used to. I wonder how much of that is because of what has been going on up the field. In the middle is where the biggest issue has been.

Actually they highlighted on 360 tonight that unlike last year, we aren't winning the ball and we're not able to win the ball back through midfield turnovers.

Really hurts our defenders ability when there is lax defence further up the ground.
I agree with the comments about the midfield.

My comment about our tall defenders playing to loose is not a new one. I’ve mentioned it the last 3 years.

We give far to much room to opposition tall forwards, and they kill us when they lead in to space.

One reason for this, is a lack of marking type players amongst our small and medium defenders, so our talls are often caught out as they’re looking to intercept mark a bomb in to the forward 50. But get caught out by precision passes to tall or marking forwards.

Lack of mid pressure allows players to take a look and not bomb it.
I honestly do not think the back 6 been bad defending the ball coming in.
It just been coming in too fast at times
We still 8th in clearances in 2020 vs 2021
Although our inside 50 is way down 2020 3rd now 2021 12th

Then you look at these stats probably why
Turnovers 2020 15th now 2021 8th
Tackles 2020 5th now 2021 10th

I don't know about not winning anything, but looking purely from the outside, he doesn't seem like the best example to younger players and isn't the sort of character I'd respect as a leader. But who knows, maybe he's well-loved amongst the playing group as captain.
I sat at a table with Zorks and Rich at a function down here in Melbourne two years ago. He seemed a nice bloke. He and Rich were obvious friends and we were all impressed with his professionalism. I have to agree that he sometimes appears on the field in less than a perfect way but you have to take the good with the bad. I still remember when we couldn't get close to winning a game if he didn't kick 5.

How are all you Brissie people doing with getting your tickets? Are you getting your reserved seats? What does your membership get you/

Zorks might be passionate and sometimes goes over the top but I'll take his better than 22 disposals (mostly kicks) every game this year. I'll take his better than 6 marks a game and 5 tackles. He has had the best output of any of our midfield. His numbers and influence are highly valuable to us.

On CPH1920 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Also generally has highest pressure acts. I have no problem with the whole package. Those who get frustrated with the occasional going to far need to look at his overall contribution.

Good to see on AFL 360 King highlight a few things wrong with the team.

For those that can’t watch it. Highlighted Andrews and Neale and a little bit of Zorko. Showed a video with a few times where Neale hasn’t done the right thing when defending. Andrews being beaten in one on ones isn’t really showing much but they did say last year he only lost 1 in 6 contests but this year it’s 1 in 3.

They also showed a few stats about our lack of turning the ball over and marks inside 50.
Saw this last night. It was quite damning but also informative which helps to explain why we are at where we are at. The problem allows one to find the solution, over to you Fagan and Co.

Our small forwards (I’m looking at you Charlie) need to have a good listen to what Shaun Hart has to say.

Cam still looking fit.

We are really missing his positive and infectious personality out on the field this year.

I might be an older lady now, but I really like looking at that photo😍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our small forwards (I’m looking at you Charlie) need to have a good listen to what Shaun Hart has to say.

It's so cool that players like Shaun Hart are still so invested in the club.

As with almost all AFL clubs, a team’s success is often dictated by how it’s performing at the contest.

Four rounds in and the Lions, who finished in the top four in 2019 and 2020, are a bottom-five team in this area.

King highlighted the fact the Lions’ contested possession differential ranking had dropped from 10th last year to 16th this year, while they’d also slid from ninth to 15th in the competition for clearance differential.

“They’re not winning it, they’re not dominant in there,” he said.

“When we picture the Lions, that’s what we picture.”

Brisbane has also dipped from fourth to 15th for intercepts between the 50m arcs and was now ranked 16th for scores from midfield intercepts, according to Champion Data. King pointed out that 40 per cent of team scores come from that source and area of the ground.
He also suggests that Neale and Andrews are in worse form than people realise.

This week i hope we go to one Ruck with Daniher as backup even if McStay does not return
Fullarton to drop out for McStay if he is ready is the obvious choice

If McStay not ready any of :
Answerth, Cockatoo, Coleman, CEY, Joyce, Madden, Mathieson, Prior, Sharp, E. Smith
Yes I named half of the VFL side but we need more run than Fullarton gives us

They should not drop Deven Robertson he shows potential. A few should go before him.

Our defense
I think they need to "rest" someone and slot a bit of pace down back. Who that is will be up to the coaches
If that pays off then that player holds his spot for next week

At least the two's get to play this Saturday. Hopefully a few standout performances that will then put some pressure on the seniors

This week i hope we go to one Ruck with Daniher as backup even if McStay does not return
Fullarton to drop out for McStay if he is ready is the obvious choice

If McStay not ready any of :
Answerth, Cockatoo, Coleman, CEY, Joyce, Madden, Mathieson, Prior, Sharp, E. Smith
Yes I named half of the VFL side but we need more run than Fullarton gives us

They should not drop Deven Robertson he shows potential. A few should go before him.

Our defense
I think they need to "rest" someone and slot a bit of pace down back. Who that is will be up to the coaches
If that pays off then that player holds his spot for next week

At least the two's get to play this Saturday. Hopefully a few standout performances that will then put some pressure on the seniors
Yes I like Dev as well and hope he is preserved with. Madden is super fast just not sure of his disposal. Lester is the interesting one for me. Probably his best year last year, but previously spent basically a couple of years in NEAFL, and IMO he is handy backup but should not be guaranteed a regular spot each week. Reckon Birchall is playing slightly better than late last year, may those 4kg he shed has helped but he should not be guaranteed a regular spot either. IF we lose this week, unless these two are standouts 'rest' them and put some pace into the backline.

If we can jump them I think we can put them to the sword but if Essendon plays as well as they have recently and we arm wrestle then it’ll be flip a coin.

He also suggests that Neale and Andrews are in worse form than people realise.
a few journalist still have him as AA this year, but a few of us on BF, have thought he is down on form. With the game possibly changing with inside 50's, Andrews needs to be a bit more accountable 1v1 and this is not his strength, despite being an AA. He is not overly fast so is disadvantaged against those leading type forwards.

If we can jump them I think we can put them to the sword but if Essendon plays as well as they have recently and we arm wrestle then it’ll be flip a coin.

Dunno we seem to "get the jump" on teams a lot and then promptly fall asleep and it all goes pear shaped.

Saw this last night. It was quite damning but also informative which helps to explain why we are at where we are at. The problem allows one to find the solution, over to you Fagan and Co.
WE are in real trouble if Fagan & Co start taking on board anything that David King has to say. David King & Kane Cornes are just as bad as eachother in my opinion. Dislike them equally the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back