Gym & Misc Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A minor annoyance - the leg press machine in my gym has a knob that adds either 2.5, 5 or 7.5kgs to the weight. The plate that has the numbers on it fell off so you don't know what setting that knob is on without trial and error.
The machine was recently serviced... and the plate wasn't replaced.

Welcome RickSanchez to the thread.

Thanks, man.

I'll start with a few irritating things at my gym.

I can cop missing out on a machine if someone is there first but the gym I go to is tiny and I swear people tend to jump on it about 10 seconds before I intend to use it. It will be free for the whole time I'm there and then magically soon as I am eyeing it off to see it's free, someone will waltz on in when I'm on my last few reps. There will be about 5 people there and they'll suddenly go on that machine and then I'll try to go on another machine in the meantime and somehow that is in use as well. Happens way too ******* much.

Since the gym is quite small, there's not heaps of room to exercise in peace and I sometimes like to be a bit hidden away to do a few of these exercises (still don't have the confidence yet at times). This area is where a lot of the medicine balls and other weights are for those who want to do core exercises and stretching. Anyway, there is a woman who comes at the same time I do on weekdays and weekends and she will always be in that corner I like to go to for very long periods. Not only does this restrict access for a moment to the weights for me and other members, but she has also recently been practicing for an upcoming competition so she'll take the whole area to practice her walk. Honestly just get shitty soon as I see her there as I know I'll have to deal with that s**t. That being said, I'll try to get a small space there because I don't give a s**t, go do that crap at home.

I have many more but I'll start with those for now. There are solutions to these issues but nah, * that.
Other than that I don't mind a small gym, especially for a beginner like myself.

A minor annoyance - the leg press machine in my gym has a knob that adds either 2.5, 5 or 7.5kgs to the weight. The plate that has the numbers on it fell off so you don't know what setting that knob is on without trial and error.
The machine was recently serviced... and the plate wasn't replaced.
Not great for progressive overload

Thanks, man.

I'll start with a few irritating things at my gym.

I can cop missing out on a machine if someone is there first but the gym I go to is tiny and I swear people tend to jump on it about 10 seconds before I intend to use it. It will be free for the whole time I'm there and then magically soon as I am eyeing it off to see it's free, someone will waltz on in when I'm on my last few reps. There will be about 5 people there and they'll suddenly go on that machine and then I'll try to go on another machine in the meantime and somehow that is in use as well. Happens way too ******* much.

Since the gym is quite small, there's not heaps of room to exercise in peace and I sometimes like to be a bit hidden away to do a few of these exercises (still don't have the confidence yet at times). This area is where a lot of the medicine balls and other weights are for those who want to do core exercises and stretching. Anyway, there is a woman who comes at the same time I do on weekdays and weekends and she will always be in that corner I like to go to for very long periods. Not only does this restrict access for a moment to the weights for me and other members, but she has also recently been practicing for an upcoming competition so she'll take the whole area to practice her walk. Honestly just get shitty soon as I see her there as I know I'll have to deal with that sh*t. That being said, I'll try to get a small space there because I don't give a sh*t, go do that crap at home.

I have many more but I'll start with those for now. There are solutions to these issues but nah, fu** that.
Other than that I don't mind a small gym, especially for a beginner like myself.
What machines and equipment does your gym have and what sorts of exercises do you do? Happy to give out tips on variations of certain exercises that you can use on other equipment if that particular machine is busy so you're still getting the volume in.

I have a home gym these days with the basics, but I go to the gym I used to be a member of every 2-3 weeks to use machines to have a heavy back workout as I don't have a lat pulldown/cable machine and the one I want costs about 2k so will likely be 2-3 years before I acquire it. I sometimes encounter similar issues if I go peak hour when every gym brah is training back or arms so every cable station or cable attachment is being used, so I started bringing my bands just in case. I can also go out the back and use the hammerstrength machines for pulldowns and rows instead also.

This guy at the gym tonight was literally lifting two 4kg kettlebells in a standing shoulder press and grunting extremely loudly on each rep for 3 full sets of 10 or 12... Wtf. I'm not harshing on him lifting lightly because he's obviously starting out with his gym work, but bro... Leave the grunting alone for the sake of everyone else in the gym :O

What machines and equipment does your gym have and what sorts of exercises do you do? Happy to give out tips on variations of certain exercises that you can use on other equipment if that particular machine is busy so you're still getting the volume in.

I have a home gym these days with the basics, but I go to the gym I used to be a member of every 2-3 weeks to use machines to have a heavy back workout as I don't have a lat pulldown/cable machine and the one I want costs about 2k so will likely be 2-3 years before I acquire it. I sometimes encounter similar issues if I go peak hour when every gym brah is training back or arms so every cable station or cable attachment is being used, so I started bringing my bands just in case. I can also go out the back and use the hammerstrength machines for pulldowns and rows instead also.

Thanks for the offer, should be alright for now but I wouldn't mind learning some core type exercises as I only know about 4 or 5, would be nice to switch up.

Thanks for the offer, should be alright for now but I wouldn't mind learning some core type exercises as I only know about 4 or 5, would be nice to switch up.
I've stayed away from crunch type exercises lately as I'm unsure if it contributed to my hip flexor tightness over summer

Things like planks, plank up and downs (plank position to push up position), bird dogs, landmine rotations and pallof presses is what I'm doing currently

I've stayed away from crunch type exercises lately as I'm unsure if it contributed to my hip flexor tightness over summer

Things like planks, plank up and downs (plank position to push up position), bird dogs, landmine rotations and pallof presses is what I'm doing currently
08-commando-planks-ps-1550754031.gif
plank u and d?

i didnt know what a bird dog was

This guy at the gym tonight was literally lifting two 4kg kettlebells in a standing shoulder press and grunting extremely loudly on each rep for 3 full sets of 10 or 12... Wtf. I'm not harshing on him lifting lightly because he's obviously starting out with his gym work, but bro... Leave the grunting alone for the sake of everyone else in the gym :O
Were there females in the vicinity? Grunting and related noises seem to be much more prevalent when there are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really sexual floggish behaviour there then
The 'look at me' call. My current gym is fairly small and I'm there early enough to not get this. At my old gym if it was done, it was almost always 20 something guys. Usually ones that were lifting heavy enough to sort of excuse grunting, but most of them also carrying enough fat on top of muscle that without trying to pull attention just as they were lifting, they wouldn't get any second glances.

I'll do the heavy breathing after exertion, but don't go for the grunting ever. More the opposite, I still get told off at Karate to remember to breath :D

The 'look at me' call. My current gym is fairly small and I'm there early enough to not get this. At my old gym if it was done, it was almost always 20 something guys. Usually ones that were lifting heavy enough to sort of excuse grunting, but most of them also carrying enough fat on top of muscle that without trying to pull attention just as they were lifting, they wouldn't get any second glances.

I'll do the heavy breathing after exertion, but don't go for the grunting ever. More the opposite, I still get told off at Karate to remember to breath :D
Yeah grunting is normally a major trait of an ego lifter

But doing it with light weights is weird

This looks like the confusing sh*t for my tiny brain where I do it wrong and I faceplant.
I shall do this one at home.
its like patting your tummy and rubbing your head at the same time. or is it rubbing tummy and pat head

This looks like the confusing sh*t for my tiny brain where I do it wrong and I faceplant.
I shall do this one at home.
All about the opposites

Right leg back with left arm forward

Swap to left leg back with right arm forward

Make sure you have a neutral spine and stretch those limbs out each rep slowly

its like patting your tummy and rubbing your head at the same time. or is it rubbing tummy and pat head

Gave it a go, not sure how much I'm even supposed to do but I'm a big fat dynamo so it's pretty tough.
Although I'll try it without only socks on and a mat as I was sliding like Collingwood down the ladder.

sometimes it involuntary - particularly on max weight deads, squats or bench press

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back