Bumped Random Chat - I want BBQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hey fellow MFC nerds, don't normally post about personal stuff in here but due to a poor career decision by me I left my job for another last October and it didn't work out. Unfortunately I spent the last 5 months unemployed but today I got offered a MUCH better position than my previous job and have accepted it. Just wanted to share it in anonymity so I look like less of a flog. Cheers and love you all.

Hey fellow MFC nerds, don't normally post about personal stuff in here but due to a poor career decision by me I left my job for another last October and it didn't work out. Unfortunately I spent the last 5 months unemployed but today I got offered a MUCH better position than my previous job and have accepted it. Just wanted to share it in anonymity so I look like less of a flog. Cheers and love you all.
Flog. Na jokes - congrats. It's a bloody good feeling making a positive career move. Hope it works out

I have no life accomplishments to report, however I am in the midst of smoking a brisket in the Traeger.

Probably should have left it at 'no life.'

I have no life accomplishments to report, however I am in the midst of smoking a brisket in the Traeger.

Probably should have left it at 'no life.'
Love the smoker updates. I'm approaching the age where it's mandatory to either take up smoking various meats, golf or WWII history. I'm not into golf or history so will be getting a smoker

Love the smoker updates. I'm approaching the age where it's mandatory to either take up smoking various meats, golf or WWII history. I'm not into golf or history so will be getting a smoker
You wont regret it.

I'm cooking a couple of smaller pieces of brisket and am trying cooking at a higher temperature as cooking small pieces too low seems to dry it out a bit. So far it looks like it has worked a charm.

I use the traeger as it seemed a good entry into the game (it does the hard work controlling the temp) but I might look into an offset smoker down the track to give it a try.

nice one

What sort of work do you do?

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
nice one

What sort of work do you do?
Don’t let him tell you. I like just guessing.

I reckon Topkent is a ski instructor, you own a franchise of some description - probably pet grooming, Russian Demon is a senior tax accountant for H&R Block and schmuttt is definitely working in events management in some capacity

Completely agree. Also received a robodebt notice myself (All gone now obviously, I never paid a cent back so I wasn't due to any entitlements) and it was absolutely hideous what they did to people. I was lucky that mine was only for a few thousand so I could pay it but knew it was wrong so refused, imagine being one of those people with a 50k+ debt. Love how the media doesn't talk about the horrific suicide rates of people who did receive robodebt notices. I was actually reasonably conservative in my early 20s but now I'll never vote LNP as long as I live.
Coming in six weeks late - haven't clicked this thread in a while - but this post is a GOAT contender.

Sick to death of watching photo op Morrison and dickhead Dutton shift the blame from what is actually one of the biggest human rights abuses in Australia's history.

Speaking of anonymous news, has anyone ever had to get their cholesterol down and have any tips? I put some weight on during lockdown that I've not been able to shift, and my doc has told me my cholesterol is now moderately too high and need to sort it out. I understand avoiding fatty red meat and full cream dairy, but does anyone have any suggestions of how to get it down fast?

Not an issue I thought I'd be facing in my 20s, but what can you do? Would like to shed 10kgs before the end of the year. Play racquet sports quite regularly, I intermittent fast, and I eat reasonably healthy. Just need to take the next step I guess and really drive the calories down.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Last edited:
Isn't law like a shitfight to get into atm because everybody goes into it thinking they'll get rich.
I did law too! I think making a solid living is certainly doable, but getting into the big firms with (theoretically, albeit not sure many get it in reality) big bucks is certainly a s**t fight.

Supply of law grads is sky high but the number of spots with the big end of town is super tight. Basically need nepotism or being a model student + extra curricular hack to get a shoe-in (for the most part, not to disparage Schmutt if they're starting with Allen's or something).

I did law too! I think making a solid living is certainly doable, but getting into the big firms with (theoretically, albeit not sure many get it in reality) big bucks is certainly a sh*t fight.

Supply of law grads is sky high but the number of spots with the big end of town is super tight. Basically need nepotism or being a model student + extra curricular hack to get a shoe-in (for the most part, not to disparage Schmutt if they're starting with Allen's or something).
When I went to an open day at la trobe, some kid doing tours was saying that he's doing a double degree law/commerce and was going to do criminology as well to give himself a chance. Think you gotta be a stand out at Melbourne or Monash to get the big bucks. * that.

Isn't law like a shitfight to get into atm because everybody goes into it thinking they'll get rich.

I've met so many people who have gotten law degrees only to go into completely different professions.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Speaking of anonymous news, has anyone ever had to get their cholesterol down and have any tips? I put some weight on during lockdown that I've not been able to shift, and my doc has told me my cholesterol is now moderately too high and need to sort it out. I understand avoiding fatty red meat and full cream dairy, but does anyone have any suggestions of how to get it down fast?

Not an issue I thought I'd be facing in my 20s, but what can you do? Would like to shed 10kgs before the end of the year. Play racquet sports quite regularly, I intermittent fast, and I eat reasonably healthy. Just need to take the next step I guess and really drive the calories down.
I might actually have a suggestion. I packed on weight during lockdown. Anxiety eating I think. Got really down and shitty about it and then started actively trying to lose weight. I’ve lost nearly 10kgs in the last 5 months.

I have a pretty healthy diet anyway on the whole because I like cooking, which allows you to know what goes into your food. Ate a whole lot more Uber and snacks and crap last year. Anxiety and boredom is a deadly mix.

Once I decided to do something about it, I used the MyFitnessPal app to record all food, and paid the subscription as a one-off for 12 months because then you can have your nutrition broken down into carbs / fat / protein etc. I stayed under their kj allowance and reduced carbs big time - replaced toast with corn thins and so forth. Ate leaner protein and watched fat. More or less ditched sweet foods and chocolate etc - went to black coffee. The beauty of the app is that it lets you see whether your diet is still nutritionally balanced etc, plus you can record exercise (or let it count steps etc) which gives you credits in how much you consume.

I like the app because it counts your consumption but leaves it up to you to decide what you eat, which is generally better for longer term weight management because you educate yourself in better habits. Diet programs where they deliver food, or where you supplement meals with shakes work very well for rapid weight loss but have a high incidence of recidivism according to most studies.

I hope whatever method you choose works well for you, Tulip. I genuinely feel a lot better generally than I did before. Probably a lot of this was just getting some control back and actually monitoring exercise.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I did law too! I think making a solid living is certainly doable, but getting into the big firms with (theoretically, albeit not sure many get it in reality) big bucks is certainly a sh*t fight.

Me too! I did it while working though - graduated a few years back. I wasn’t specifically setting out to practice though, it’s a valued qualification in Government. And mostly I just enjoyed it really. I really like studying. I wish I could just be a student

Simple, lose weight and exercise a lot. I went from an almost sedentary, lifestyle outside my work which is physical, to exercising for at least an hour 5-6 days a week (riding my bikes). The only other thing I did was eat clean for a couple of months. Shed a heap of weight and when I went back for a cholesterol it wasn't just back to 'normal' he said it was better than most peoples and my good cholesterol was exceptional. I've gone back to eating whatever I want but still exercise 4-5 times a week.

So my suggestion is hard work and eat clean for a while. I'm not trying to be smug saying that, its just what worked for me. Also, look up foods that help lower cholesterol naturally. If you exercise already double it for a few months. Problem didn't hit me til my 40's but hard work and a disciplined routine. The great thing is as you get fitter your motivation increase as you see the results.

All the best.

Edit: Forgot to mention you play racquet sports. I'd add something like riding a bike (Strava is a great app to record your activity and see the work you're doing and progress). Its something you can do easily for an hour but is constant aerobic exercise.

Last edited:
I might actually have a suggestion. I packed on weight during lockdown. Anxiety eating I think. Got really down and shitty about it and then started actively trying to lose weight. I’ve lost nearly 10kgs in the last 5 months.

I have a pretty healthy diet anyway on the whole because I like cooking, which allows you to know what goes into your food. Ate a whole lot more Uber and snacks and crap last year. Anxiety and boredom is a deadly mix.

Once I decided to do something about it, I used the MyFitnessPal app to record all food, and paid the subscription as a one-off for 12 months because then you can have your nutrition broken down into carbs / fat / protein etc. I stayed under their kj allowance and reduced carbs big time - replaced toast with corn thins and so forth. Ate leaner protein and watched fat. More or less ditched sweet foods and chocolate etc - went to black coffee. The beauty of the app is that it lets you see whether your diet is still nutritionally balanced etc, plus you can record exercise (or let it count steps etc) which gives you credits in how much you consume.

I like the app because it counts your consumption but leaves it up to you to decide what you eat, which is generally better for longer term weight management because you educate yourself in better habits. Diet programs where they deliver food, or where you supplement meals with shakes work very well for rapid weight loss but have a high incidence of recidivism according to most studies.

I hope whatever method you choose works well for you, Tulip. I genuinely feel a lot better generally than I did before. Probably a lot of this was just getting some control back and actually monitoring exercise.
Top job PG! 10kg for a woman is a solid effort. You must feel svelte!

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Top job PG! 10kg for a woman is a solid effort. You must feel svelte!
I rewarded myself and bought an excellent leather coat! The idea being that this becomes an incentive not to regain weight because the coat has to continue to fit.

Weird creeping back to work this year. So many colleagues reported the same thing that they got heaps fatter super fast over 2020. It was just a dud year all round. Once that second lockdown happened and I’d got a grip an was pounding around the place exercising each day I felt a bit better. I probably would have gone fully strange otherwise watching Netflix with bbq shapes then not sleeping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back