TV Rights

Remove this Banner Ad

Just that Nine already have access via NRL and I guess now union.

Yeah so then I wonder if Stan picked up A-League how much that would cost them. I haven't watched any of the union but are they using commentators they had for NRL?

Yeah so then I wonder if Stan picked up A-League how much that would cost them. I haven't watched any of the union but are they using commentators they had for NRL?
They are different commentators. Had been speculation they were going to pick up Sonny Bill and a female player who had links to both but it never occurred.

The rugby deal is worth $100m over the 3 years, would think it would be something similar.

They are making a big play for it, there is also a consistent amount coming in along with the adverts received through the linear channel. They currently have two tennis slams and 3 rugby union leagues. Heavy rumours that the nbl will be on its way. Aleague, among other comps would create a strong competitor to kayo.

Also could end up with cricket back on nine, which could be truly exclusive with atleast 80% of all cricket content on stan. English cricket deal ends in 2023, current cricket Australia deal with Fox ends in 2024 [if my maths is correct] (but could pick some up through the collapse of the 7 deal)

Think A-League could fall down a hole if they aren't with Foxtel. A lot of time and money from Foxtel has gone into them.
Yes, would need to be a significant investment with a plan if someone else picked them up. It's not a ready made product but this season should show a few the unlocked potential.

Kayo. From today, games from all sporting competitions supported by the Federal Government’s women’s, niche and other under-represented sports will be available free on Kayo, Australia’s leading sports streaming service. These games will be available in front of the paywall, free as Kayo Freebies, where the Foxtel Group’s rights permit. The initiative dramatically increases the accessibility of women’s and under-represented sport and will include live and on-demand games from the AFLW, WBBL, W-League, WNBL, surfing including the Women’s Championship Tour, Rugby Sevens, hockey, baseball, croquet, fencing, lawn bowls, ultimate frisbee and dragon boating.

Copa America 2021 and 2024 will be on optus sport. The first game will be on June 14 at 7am Aet (Chile vs Argentina)

Copa America 2021 and 2024 will be on optus sport. The first game will be on June 14 at 7am Aet (Chile vs Argentina)

Awesome!

International matches all early morning/late morning. Euro 2021 and Copa America 2021 at the same time.

Looks like the eoi is closed on the aleague broadcast rights. 9 bidders fox sports and Stan/nine are pretty much confirmed, and are said to be both domestic and international companies (so probably also includes optus and Amazon). Also they are happy to spread the content between providers)

"We (SBS) are also proud to be the exclusive Australian rights holder to the 2022 FIFA World Cup and will continue broadcasting a number of international football events."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vince 'Rugs' Rugari seems to have pooh poohed this idea as well.

Don’t know what I think of buying another service for another competition. I don't watch the A-League but my Dad does, so I am sort of bound to it. 😂

Leaving it on Kayo (with the AFL) or Optus buying it is preferable.

Don’t know what I think of buying another service for another competition. I don't watch the A-League but my Dad does, so I am sort of bound to it. 😂

Leaving it on Kayo (with the AFL) or Optus buying it is preferable.

Not for the league hierarchy or fans. Fox have shown they don't want it anymore and the punditry and commentary has become a complete pile of s**t.

Most of whom will almost certainly follow to wherever the rights end up

Possibly, but getting Simon Hill back and looking to poach from Optus will make a big difference. Getting Bozza and Robbie Slater off the match broadcast as much as possible will help immensely.

Bozza talks too much crap. He is fine analysing a game but as a sideline reporter, he is horrible. Same sort of thing with Adam. He is a great pundit and host but a terrible commentator. He goes off on too many unnecessary tangents and has no idea about adding excitement through commentary

Bozza talks too much crap. He is fine analysing a game but as a sideline reporter, he is horrible. Same sort of thing with Adam. He is a great pundit and host but a terrible commentator. He goes off on too many unnecessary tangents and has no idea about adding excitement through commentary

Peacock's still learning though, he's a lot more genuine than some.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back