Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s not actually that big a kick which is a surprise considering how much of a monster he is.

Harry is a much bigger kick but he’s also a big sweeping left-footer.
Kicking is the area of BMac's game that needs work - it has improved but we need him to be able to be a reliable user of the ball when he is running off the slower full forwards.

He used to miss 20 meter passes - that doesn't happen anymore so things are improving nicely.

one thing i do love about football (Australia? life in general?) is no matter where you're at - you work hard, you put in, then people around you will turn around too. They hop on the bandwagon. They love seeing it turn around. Very happy for Ben and long may he continue with these types of games.

Yeah it could actually be the making of him this period, when he has to be the big banana.....then when the others come back he's on level pegging. I loved watching him take on and flat out beat Tex, even taking off with the ball a couple times.

Given the injuries, one could wonder if Durdin was kept whether he would also be standing up with the opportunity right now also.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Given the injuries, one could wonder if Durdin was kept whether he would also be standing up with the opportunity right now also.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Anything's possible, but we gave him 3 games last year and he didn't exactly grab the chance by the throat. I think the fact that he, and most other delistees, weren't picked up by anyone else probably says enough.

150421_Gallery-13.jpg

Anything's possible, but we gave him 3 games last year and he didn't exactly grab the chance by the throat. I think the fact that he, and most other delistees, weren't picked up by anyone else probably says enough.
If Durdan was good enough he would be killing it in the sand full and have multiple parties interested come the mid season draft, sadly this is not the case as the only interest he has gained this year is by tweeting stuff at dylan allcott.

Well, he already was standing up, that is to say, holding down a key defensive post without fuss.

While he didn't excel, he wasn't terrible.

We only need stability.

Durdin is/was nowhere close to McKay.

Yes Durdin was terrible and I think extremely lucky to get the time he had.

McKay is a genuinely talented athlete and I'm excited for his future.

Plus he knows how to effectively use a "can opener" so not miss half a year not being able to, is a bonus.

Durdin is/was nowhere close to McKay.

Yes Durdin was terrible and I think extremely lucky to get the time he had.

McKay is a genuinely talented athlete and I'm excited for his future.

Plus he knows how to effectively use a "can opener" so not miss half a year not being able to, is a bonus.

i suppose right now it seems apparently but for much of the few years before 2020, Mackay seems to be the most useless. Something went right under Shaw.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah he wouldn't want to support the club who has got him here hey.
He's arguably in the top 3 best young KPDs in the competition, fresh off thoroughly destroying Tex and actually receiving some external recognition. He and his manager should literally sit there and back him in to keep getting better and playing well and watch the 0s keep getting added to the contract

He's arguably in the top 3 best young KPDs in the competition, fresh off thoroughly destroying Tex and actually receiving some external recognition. He and his manager should literally sit there and back him in to keep getting better and playing well and watch the 0s keep getting added to the contract

Glad you aren't his manager.

Who do you go for again?

Glad you aren't his manager.

LOL. It's incredibly naive to think his manager should be doing anything other than telling him not to sign anything North put in front of him. Why would Ben sign right now, when he could make tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands more, if he keeps his form up and backs himself in to get better?

His manager can say what he wants but if you have a contract offer in front of you that is fair and you are happy at the club, why wouldn’t you sign. Only have to reference Ben Brown and Josh Kelly ******* up rejecting what’s in front of you.

LOL. It's incredibly naive to think his manager should be doing anything other than telling him not to sign anything North put in front of him. Why would Ben sign right now, when he could make tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands more, if he keeps his form up and backs himself in to get better?

I'd like to discuss but you'll just suspend me.

We have got Ben to where he is.

Club loyalty still has it's place.

His manager can say what he wants but if you have a contract offer in front of you that is fair and you are happy at the club, why wouldn’t you sign. Only have to reference Ben Brown and Josh Kelly ******* up rejecting what’s in front of you.

This is the key point though. What's fair? If he was worth $450K at the start of the year before anyone had played footy, and he's currently smashing the AFL's best key forwards to pieces, is $450K still fair? What if he keeps Hawkins goalless this weekend and we scramble to put a $450K contract in front of him - "here you go Ben, here's how we value you"?

This isn't a BBB situation where he's negotiating one of the contracts on the back end. This is the contract for McKay. He can turn what might have been a 2 year, $450K extension at the end of last year, into a 4 or 5 year, $600K extension with a fantastic year this year. I just don't know why you'd ever, ever sign anything they put in front of you until you've played all the footy you can, especially if you're in the form he's in at the moment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back