TV Rights

Remove this Banner Ad

Important they stay on Foxtel as I doubt FTA will give as much coverage. Foxtel you’re more likely to flick to the games. Not sure people would bother as much if on a streaming service.
Just get bloody Robbie Slater off.

Important they stay on Foxtel as I doubt FTA will give as much coverage. Foxtel you’re more likely to flick to the games. Not sure people would bother as much if on a streaming service.
Just get bloody Robbie Slater off.

How many people have Foxtel these days? Can't say I agree with this mate. Plenty of people have Stan and Channel 9 would be able to show it on one of their auxilliary channels.

How many people have Foxtel these days? Can't say I agree with this mate. Plenty of people have Stan and Channel 9 would be able to show it on one of their auxilliary channels.
True I suppose. Actually just looked up numbers and didn’t realise Kayo was that popular. Hopefully on auxiliary channels. Suppose I was looking at it from personal point of view I’m less likely to bother if A League just on streaming.

Question in general as just curious... can you Chromecast Kayo?

Question in general as just curious... can you Chromecast Kayo?

Yes, but I think just with newer versions of Chromecast. Some TVs have the Kayo app on there anyway so you don't need to Chromecast.

Don't know? Prime works if that means anything

Kayo is the only one (not that I have many), is that I have not been able to use/find.

Not sure what to make of that then. Prime launched in 2006 but in 2018 in Australia. So it seems older Samsung TV models can get apps launched in the following years.

Not sure what to make of that then. Prime launched in 2006 but in 2018 in Australia. So it seems older Samsung TV models can get apps launched in the following years.
According to the kayo website the app is only available for models 2017 and latter. It's also on Telstra TV and Android TV boxes. Consoles and other smart TV's are coming soon.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Kayo app isn't Samsung (or any other manufacturer) specific - its an Android TV app. Older Samsung TVs don't use Android TV, hence they can't get Kayo. Same deal with even newer Hisense TVs - they don't use Android TV so only 2021 models and onwards get Kayo

Amazon Prime (and Netflix), given they are a global streaming service, would probably find it to be monetarily favourable to build apps specific to older smart TV systems where an Australia-specific app like Kayo wouldn't

Sports flicks deal may be in trouble as they, apparently, have been unable to get a bank guarantee. Also women's world cup are up for tender.

Sports flicks deal may be in trouble as they, apparently, have been unable to get a bank guarantee. Also women's world cup are up for tender.

Ironically (given recent events) this is an example of pure greed by UEFA. Awarding these jokers the broadcast rights instead of an established company/brand that actually has a customer base. Additional money for UEFA at the expense of the fans in Australia.

I think all CL broadcast deals would be torn up if the ESL went ahead anyway. Broadcasters wouldn't honour their agreements with UEFA if they believe the product has been heavily devalued after the contracts were signed.

I reckon they didn’t even have the rights and this has been one big troll.

Ironically (given recent events) this is an example of pure greed by UEFA. Awarding these jokers the broadcast rights instead of an established company/brand that actually has a customer base. Additional money for UEFA at the expense of the fans in Australia.

I think all CL broadcast deals would be torn up if the ESL went ahead anyway. Broadcasters wouldn't honour their agreements with UEFA if they believe the product has been heavily devalued after the contracts were signed.
I think it was a blind auction.

But the esl potential is an interesting development; with the leagues and associations against it (and the potential banning of playing internationals) it could be difficult to get everything ticked off. The silly thing is that the next iteration of the ECL is said to allow 2 teams based on previous performance that didn't qualify, which is likely to be these super league teams.

That is the problem with blind auctions. s**t like this happens. Mind you, it is how Optus got the rights for the EPL and that has worked out a lot better than I think most people would have thought.

Surely UEFA needs to do some diligence on those who make bids? Amateur stuff

UEFA and due diligence doesn't really go hand in hand with each other.

Mind you, it is how Optus got the rights for the EPL and that has worked out a lot better than I think most people would have thought.

Fair point although there's a big difference between Optus and Sports Flick. One is a massive telecommunications company branching out to sports streaming and the other is a complete unknown in the market who lists their headquarters as some guy's home address.

The fact is fewer people will be watching the CL in Australia if this deal with Sports Flick goes ahead. UEFA should be weighing up multiple factors outside the sum of money they get each year.

Fair point although there's a big difference between Optus and Sports Flick. One is a massive telecommunications company branching out to sports streaming and the other is a complete unknown in the market who lists their headquarters as some guy's home address.

The fact is fewer people will be watching the CL in Australia if this deal with Sports Flick goes ahead. UEFA should be weighing up multiple factors outside the sum of money they get each year.

UEFA couldn't care any less about us. I doubt we are even a tiny blip on their radar with the amount of money we would bring in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back