Preview Brisbane Lions v Essendon Bombers, Round 5, Saturday April 17, 7:25 PM, GABBA

Status
Not open for further replies.
WE are in real trouble if Fagan & Co start taking on board anything that David King has to say. David King & Kane Cornes are just as bad as eachother in my opinion. Dislike them equally the same.
Doesn’t mean he doesn’t bring up some good points though.
I Don’t for one minute think that the coaching staff would sit there and hang on his every word or any word for that matter. Be quite sill if they did.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
In Ballenden to replace Harris Andrews......He looks like he's not enjoying the game and in a couple of contests he looked scared...Not him at all. I hope he's doing OK.

After a couple of weeks of rest Harris should come back in to play at full forward.

Is this an attempt at humour?

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
I Don’t for one minute think that the coaching staff would sit there and hang on his every word or any word for that matter. Be quite sill if they did.
I thought it was a pretty well researched bit, much better than the shoot-from-the-hip hot takes that we get usually. King has done some good stuff this year, after the Sydney win vs Richmond he did some great analysis showing how they opened them up. I'm sure our coaching staff would be all over it already but I'd be shocked if they didn't at least have a look at what King said.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
WE are in real trouble if Fagan & Co start taking on board anything that David King has to say. David King & Kane Cornes are just as bad as eachother in my opinion. Dislike them equally the same.
King's making judgements which I don't have a problem with because in this instance he has a point. Even though he overlooks the story behind it.

Lachie's intensity around the contest has gone from 100% to 20% and the only reason can be that he's injured and protecting himself as has been evident from the first game . The issue for us is that what he's currently doing is better than whoever replaces him which is why he continues to play.

Watching Keays lately is a bit annoying. I didn't have a real problem with offloading him at the time so not knocking anyone but it's clear he gets it in the backline ,he creates opportunities forward and runs hard both ways .Exactly what we're lacking. I disagree with the comments justifying why we got rid of him ,too slow , poor kick etc. because he never got the chance to play in the role that he will continue to improve in. His kicking looks ordinary sometimes but usually ends up where he wants it to go. He's been underrated.

Harris looks disinterested and basically pissed off half the time so I don't know what's bothering him but he did step it up in the last half last week so let's hope he keeps it up. He's never manned up closely to an opponent so it's a part of his game that he could work on.

beardancer

Team Captain
Oct 16, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
King is spot on. Andrews looks bad, Neale is sub, sub par, Ruck is weak, Charlie looks disinterested, there seems to be no spark.....we're 16th and that's about right.

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I dont expect (for one milli second) that anyone on the coaching staff would even dare bring up what King said in conversations/meetings. If they didn't already know that what King said was in any way accurate or close to being true way ahead of the time King said it, we are again in real trouble. White noise coming from David King & 360 (& any other similar media) is what the coach's (of all clubs) ignore.

I dont expect (for one milli second) that anyone on the coaching staff would even dare bring up what King said in conversations/meetings. If they didn't already know that what King said was in any way accurate or close to being true way ahead of the time King said it, we are again in real trouble. White noise coming from David King & 360 (& any other similar media) is what the coach's (of all clubs) ignore.
Agreed!

Jan 13, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
King's making judgements which I don't have a problem with because in this instance he has a point. Even though he overlooks the story behind it.

Lachie's intensity around the contest has gone from 100% to 20% and the only reason can be that he's injured and protecting himself as has been evident from the first game . The issue for us is that what he's currently doing is better than whoever replaces him which is why he continues to play.

Watching Keays lately is a bit annoying. I didn't have a real problem with offloading him at the time so not knocking anyone but it's clear he gets it in the backline ,he creates opportunities forward and runs hard both ways .Exactly what we're lacking. I disagree with the comments justifying why we got rid of him ,too slow , poor kick etc. because he never got the chance to play in the role that he will continue to improve in. His kicking looks ordinary sometimes but usually ends up where he wants it to go. He's been underrated.

Harris looks disinterested and basically pissed off half the time so I don't know what's bothering him but he did step it up in the last half last week so let's hope he keeps it up. He's never manned up closely to an opponent so it's a part of his game that he could work on.
It's Harris's new jail house haircut look.

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

King is usually full of crap but on this occasion he actually raises some good points and it is not like they haven't been acknowledged already by many on here. I think people are getting upset at the media criticising the team rather than the substance of the criticism itself. FWIW I agree that I would be shocked if any of what he said was in any way a surprise to the coaching staff.

FFB1

Premiership Player
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Boronia Hawks

Cornes does it partly to generate a reaction and conversation; King not so much? That said, nothing King said I could argue much against, and I don’t think Fagan and co would have taken any of it on board as they’d have already been trying to address it.

FFB1

Premiership Player
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Boronia Hawks
In Ballenden to replace Harris Andrews......He looks like he's not enjoying the game and in a couple of contests he looked scared...Not him at all. I hope he's doing OK.

After a couple of weeks of rest Harris should come back in to play at full forward.
You on school holidays? Looking forward to grade 6 next year?

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Cornes does it partly to generate a reaction and conversation; King not so much? That said, nothing King said I could argue much against, and I don’t think Fagan and co would have taken any of it on board as they’d have already been trying to address it.

David King says literally one thing, and it is basically to pick the worst loser of the previous week and say 'what is their brand? What do they stand for?'

He's the most boring, banal footy media figure by a country mile.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
David King says literally one thing, and it is basically to pick the worst loser of the previous week and say 'what is their brand? What do they stand for?'

There's so much content out there on AFL they need to say something that will attract attention every week to stay relevant. The last thing people want to tune in to is the boring truth. So your best bet is to say how good or how bad players/teams are. Preferably if it's a player someone everyone knows.

On this occasion I didn't mind the issues he highlighted because he was right.

FFB1

Premiership Player
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Boronia Hawks

St Kilda locked and loaded for him this week then.

Nothing he said about us after last weekend could be deemed inaccurate.

beardancer

Team Captain
Oct 16, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
You on school holidays? Looking forward to grade 6 next year?
Yeah, very humorous.......Anyway. Yes, we've missed the bus a bit because we've locked ourselves into the Daniher deal so the window has closed, but here's what should have happened.
Matt Eagles should have played earlier and should still be playing at CHB. Anyone who saw his performances in the NEAFL especially the Granny would agree. His marking, and vigour around the contest is what we need. He was probably kept out of the team by Harris, when we could have had our cake and ate it too. Harris should have played as a forward , allowing Eagles to play back and switch into the ruck. We could then have used all of our hard earned on another A grade mid instead of an injury prone .......project player.
Anyway, that ship has sailed, Eagles is no more so and blah, blah, blah. Though I do think that Connor Ballenden could play that biggest defender role allowing the Harris FF swap. Harris isn't just an A grade defender , he's an A grade player. And remember when we had the 4 best full forwards(lynch, Brown, Bradshaw and Lepper) playing in the same team.
I think he'd be awesome at FF6

1618561333717.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back