News Magpies AFLW/VFLW News.

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't understand why they wanna bring even more new teams in. It's just gonna decimate the other teams even more.

Yeah, it's this for me although decimate might be a tad strong. This year we started to see some real progress in the AFLW quality of footy. Looking to dilute the talent pool at this time would be detrimental IMHO. Of course they could just be looking to map out the expansion rather than actioning anything for 2022.

Yeah, it's this for me although decimate might be a tad strong. This year we started to see some real progress in the AFLW quality of footy. Looking to dilute the talent pool at this time would be detrimental IMHO. Of course they could just be looking to map out the expansion rather than actioning anything for 2022.

i expect a roadmap including year for the next expansion.

I don’t think 2022 will be the year but it depends whether there will be 1, 2, 3 or 4 teams added next.

Don't understand why they wanna bring even more new teams in. It's just gonna decimate the other teams even more.
I see two reasons personally
1. Bec Goddard touched on on the Front Bar last night but having 18 teams in the competition means every AFL club is more likely to buy into the competition itself as they have a team.
2. Having every team gives supporters every chance to actually follow a team. For an example, my girlfriends family are all Essendon supporters. Now they are very womens sport positive, watching Soccer and Cricket but don't watch womens footy. This is because why would they support Collingwood or Carlton when they have supported Essendon their whole lives?
3. More spots available for women athletes.

I know it comes at a detriment to the overall talent of the league and their will be a big gap between the top and bottom end talent but more girls training will increase the standard somewhat as well as the junior influx of girls that will make their way into the comp over the next 20 years. This way, we probably suffer a little at the start but are doing far better at the end.

i expect a roadmap including year for the next expansion.

I don’t think 2022 will be the year but it depends whether there will be 1, 2, 3 or 4 teams added next.

Doubt we’ll see 1 or 3 teams added.

2023 at the earliest. I know Jeff Kennett is pushing for Hawks, and Port prob deserve one with all the SA talent.
If they only bring in two I think Hawks will get it above Essendon as the Vic team as well, the commitment to their VFLW side has been impressive getting the calibre of Goddard in. Realistically they could come in for 2022 and be passable, Port might even contend for Finals with the talent in the SANFLW being so good, the issue is existing clubs should be given more noticed so they can draft/ plan their list accordingly

If they only bring in two I think Hawks will get it above Essendon as the Vic team as well, the commitment to their VFLW side has been impressive getting the calibre of Goddard in. Realistically they could come in for 2022 and be passable, Port might even contend for Finals with the talent in the SANFLW being so good, the issue is existing clubs should be given more noticed so they can draft/ plan their list accordingly
Yes, absolutely. There needs to be notice given. Can't plan for these things overnight. If a team for 2022 to come in like Hawks, then they should be given notice right away, or port if not til 2023, then they need to know leading into next year.
I believe there is a meeting in the next few weeks from the commission to discuss it, so hopefully there will be an answer after that one way or another. That meeting is the reason they are pushing the trade period out til late may/june.

The thing is, there are 2 real top end vic talents coming in this year in Charlie Rowbottom and Georgie Prespakis. I don't follow NAB league super heavily but they could be the 2 best junior prospects we have seen so far. Introducing Essendon and Hawthorn this season would allow them each to snap up one of these players each. I'd also be tempted to just bring the other 2 teams in as well because it would be unfair to have 10 vic teams and only 6 interstate teams. So personally, I'd pull the trigger now and bring all 4 in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ROUND 11

Saturday May 15

Port Melbourne vs. Collingwood, ETU Stadium, 10.45am

ROUND 12

Saturday May 22

Darebin vs. Collingwood, Bill Lawry Oval, 12.00pm

The thing is, there are 2 real top end vic talents coming in this year in Charlie Rowbottom and Georgie Prespakis. I don't follow NAB league super heavily but they could be the 2 best junior prospects we have seen so far. Introducing Essendon and Hawthorn this season would allow them each to snap up one of these players each. I'd also be tempted to just bring the other 2 teams in as well because it would be unfair to have 10 vic teams and only 6 interstate teams. So personally, I'd pull the trigger now and bring all 4 in.
The gap between Georgie/ Charlie and the next 3-4 isn't as big as some of the commentary around it suggests imo, they're good yes, but each years draft class is overall better each year, we'll likely see Montana Ham, Charlotte Baskaran, Sofia Hurley and a few more called 'the best junior prospects we've seen so far' for next years draft (which is stronger imo), and that's just from the VIC pool with Ella Roberts (WA) and Hannah Ewings (SA) looking the best 2 overall

Then, it's an early call, but 2023 looks like it'll be the start of the drafts evening out and looking similar in quality, so there's no rush to introduce the remaining 4 teams just because there's 'generational talent' or whatever, although I am a fan of just brining in 1 vic team and Port for 2023 season (looking likely) and then the other 2, 2 seasons later

The gap between Georgie/ Charlie and the next 3-4 isn't as big as some of the commentary around it suggests imo, they're good yes, but each years draft class is overall better each year, we'll likely see Montana Ham, Charlotte Baskaran, Sofia Hurley and a few more called 'the best junior prospects we've seen so far' for next years draft (which is stronger imo), and that's just from the VIC pool with Ella Roberts (WA) and Hannah Ewings (SA) looking the best 2 overall

Then, it's an early call, but 2023 looks like it'll be the start of the drafts evening out and looking similar in quality, so there's no rush to introduce the remaining 4 teams just because there's 'generational talent' or whatever, although I am a fan of just brining in 1 vic team and Port for 2023 season (looking likely) and then the other 2, 2 seasons later
I personally think Rowbottom is going to be the best thing since sliced bread. Weird analogy but so far, I don't think there has been a better prospect.

I do agree though with each draft class being better each year. They will continue to get better as you said over time but I think the main reason to add all 4 teams is so every club has a female team for supporters to support.

I personally think Rowbottom is going to be the best thing since sliced bread. Weird analogy but so far, I don't think there has been a better prospect.

I do agree though with each draft class being better each year. They will continue to get better as you said over time but I think the main reason to add all 4 teams is so every club has a female team for supporters to support.
Rowbottom is yet to play a game with a proper tag in all fairness, that's be the last test to see how she transition to next level, but yes she'll be very good

Look who we have added to our VFLW list..

COLLINGWOOD
The AFLW experience added to Collingwood’s VFLW side is headlined by highlight-machine Chloe Molloy and prospective number one pick Charlie Rowbottom.

The talent being added to the ladder leaders doesn’t end there, with 2021 All-Australian defender Ruby Schliecher coming down to play in the state league side as well.

The Pies’ midfield will be bolstered by the inclusions of tough nuts Sophie Casey, Mikala Cann and Ebony O’Dea.

Lauren Butler
was having a breakout season for Collingwood in the AFLW before being sidelined with a hamstring, so will be looking to return to form in the VFLW.

Forwards Sophie Alexander, Abbi Moloney, Joanna Lin and Aliesha Newman have been hitting the scoreboard in the Magpies side for weeks now.

And Imogen Purcell, Maddie Shevlin and Amelia Velardo have been showing plenty of pace and run and carry off the half-back line for a few rounds as well.

prospective number one pick Charlie Rowbottom
More than handy inclusion, but she may only play Round 14 and finals given that Chargers are in the grand final this week, then there's only 1 week (Round 12) in between that and Metro's champs game v Queensland. Still, she'll be at the level quite comfortably, wonder if she'll get midfield minutes or mainly play forward

More than handy inclusion, but she may only play Round 14 and finals given that Chargers are in the grand final this week, then there's only 1 week (Round 12) in between that and Metro's champs game v Queensland. Still, she'll be at the level quite comfortably, wonder if she'll get midfield minutes or mainly play forward
Yeah, even if its just one game. Can't hurt a side that's undefeated right now. You look at the team and wonder who is gonna beat us at the moment *knock om wood*

Seems expansion is on the agenda. No shock there really. No change to the number of teams for next season but as many a 4 new teams introduced the year after.

Not sure why there's so much concern about overlap with the men's comp. A non-issue for me. Not sure I like the idea of starting the season earlier.

Seems expansion is on the agenda. No shock there really. No change to the number of teams for next season but as many a 4 new teams introduced the year after.

Not sure why there's so much concern about overlap with the men's comp. A non-issue for me. Not sure I like the idea of starting the season earlier.
I think the TV audience went down once AFL started.

Hopefully we don't get Gutted like what North did to us when they came in

Remove this Banner Ad

Back