Preview Changes vs Collingwood, Rd 5, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with the sentiment that eagles fans have been pretty spoilt, and also tend to be a bit whiney.

Flags are bloody tough to win and am honestly just stoked this group got one because otherwise it'd be a massive disappointment.

I do think that this list has massively underachieved the past few years just based on the talent we have. Was hoping this year was the year they turn it around with a deep September run and probably 'breakeven' with what most would have predicted the squad capable of at the end of 2018.

Fact of the matter is the Eagles are set up to succeed (2 team football state, concessions upon entering the league, big fanbase, good finances, good infrastructure). Sometimes I cant help but feel the dissatisfaction with this list has a lot to do with that. And, honestly, its pretty justified.
Concessions upon entering....you trolling bruv

Fact of the matter is the Eagles are set up to succeed (2 team football state, concessions upon entering the league, big fanbase, good finances, good infrastructure). Sometimes I cant help but feel the dissatisfaction with this list has a lot to do with that. And, honestly, its pretty justified.
Not sure of your age and your knowledge of the early years, but WC was a club set up to fail. Both on the field and financially.

Edit - if you want to read some of the story this is a pretty good independent piece...

Last edited:

Ryan out sucks but I'm starting to come around to having a lot of talls. If we play a very precise game and don't drop any marks we could theoretically win easily. On paper it makes complete sense.

Excuse me for intruding ...

*Shakes off umbrella, takes off hat, crosses the floor to the desk of the deputy of all things West Coast Eagles, speaks up*

On paper it would seem we are a little on the tall side this week whilst Collingwood have dropped the largest, w***ery-ish-est player in history.

Promote number 33. I believe his name is Nelson.

Good day.

Excuse me for intruding ...

*Shakes off umbrella, takes off hat, crosses the floor to the desk of the deputy of all things West Coast Eagles, speaks up*

On paper it would seem we are a little on the tall side this week whilst Collingwood have dropped the largest, w***ery-ish-est player in history.

Promote number 33. I believe his name is Nelson.

Good day.
* OFF RICHMOND SCUM.

Nah jokes, the entrance was nicely worded, but Badge (deputy of all things wc) is currently on stress leave.

Nelson isn't nearly tall enough for promotion.

Go enjoy your win.

The selected team should beat Collingwood.

However the Nelson/Cole half back combo makes me decidedly queasy.

In the absence of Masten, I have no option but to point out Cole hasn’t come on since 2018, whereas Nelson has improved in that he is now a limited footballer.

If he doesn't you can't post anymore Vardy propaganda for the rest of the season

All right, but I’m gonna need to have a little more if you lose to make it fair.

If I win, not only do you have to copy my avatar, you also have to change your signature to something of my choosing, plus your location and the title under your name (for the next month).

If I lose, I won’t post anything about VardGod for a month (asking me not to do it for the whole season is something I cannot do), plus you can change my AV, signature, location and title.

Deal?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For a tall side I feel like we arent even that good at marking.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
We've been top 5 in both marks and contested marks for each of the past six seasons* except total marks in 2016 (10th). No problem's with our aerial game.

*overall - couldn't be ****ed calculating per game. Possible we drop out a couple of other times as we've played finals in all those years. Point still remains I feel.

We've been top 5 in both marks and contested marks for each of the past six seasons* except total marks in 2016 (10th). No problem's with our aerial game.

*overall - couldn't be f’ed calculating per game. Possible we drop out a couple of other times as we've played finals in all those years. Point still remains I feel.
We didnt choke last week because of selections. Its above the head.

Its not like we have bought in a bunch of rookies apart from Xon 7 games but he is a third year player

Langdon 34 games
Vardy 69 games
Witherden 59 games

I think if we break this down, this is really what has got people mad:

Where is the accountability from our selection panel if we lose?

Blind Freddy could see we went in too tall last week, and we have gone even taller this week.

Yet even if we get beat it's "nothing to see here". There is no accountability for poor selection at all as the match committee answers only to themselves

I think if we break this down, this is really what has got people mad:

Where is the accountability from our selection panel if we lose?

Blind Freddy could see we went in too tall last week, and we have gone even taller this week.

Yet even if we get beat it's "nothing to see here". There is no accountability for poor selection at all as the match committee answers only to themselves

We have matched the opposition though. It is much better for us to go tall if we can match our opponents then it is for us to carry a player we dont want and then move all our jigsaw puzzles out of position to accommodate when we dont have too. We have never versed Grundy without 2 rucks so not sure why anyone expected anything different. Only point of differnece is Waterman still in BUT we cant throw the baby out with the bathwater after 1 week. Waterman needs to find his feet in regards to being able to play in the wing and up the ground and we cant just give up after 1 bad week

I tend to feel if Williams was in instead of Vardy no one would be upset etc but Williams is 3 weeks away atleast? Williams will be ahead of Vardy when he is ready so no need to worry about it really. You cant bitch and moan about us playing sore players then want Williams in after no training.

I can only assume form team selection that Waterman and Brander are both not playing as talls (Brander as a mid and Waterman as a mid-size forward, which is effectively what Ryan is). In that context, the talls are almost ok, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see a Allen/Kennedy type as a late out with Jones as a late in.

The selected team should beat Collingwood.

However the Nelson/Cole half back combo makes me decidedly queasy.

In the absence of Masten, I have no option but to point out Cole hasn’t come on since 2018, whereas Nelson has improved in that he is now a limited footballer.
Cole hasn't come on ?
He had his best season last year . Had to move to the wing at times during our 5 games in 19days and even kicked a couple of snags . Also did a solid job in defence

Although he hasn't set the world on fire this year he is the only medium defender who has the pace to go with small forwards bar shep who is 30 .

We didnt choke last week because of selections. Its above the head.
All the permutations being discussed are pretty much inconsequential . Football is at least 90% above the shoulders. Only have to look at the Saints and Tiges last night.

Do Waterman and Brander actually play on the wing/Centre? Waterman looked to be playing down back and Brander on the HHF.
Waterman started forward but was shifted down back to replace Hurn, Brander played in the centre and on the wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back