Preview Rnd 5 - Carlton vs Port Adelaide Sat April 16th 7.25PM @ MCG - Team Post #765

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newnes doesn't do enough:
Per Footy wire per game
22 disposals
3.5 inside 50s
7 marks
1.5 rebound 50s
0.5 tackles (problematic)

Think he goes ok. If Ramsey came in and did this, he would be lauded.

Watching newnes i don't see any issues with his defensive efforts...recall some pretty tough tackles actually.

I wouldn't be holding his tackle count against him given how we want our wingers to play...he passes the eye test in that regard and has been a solid contributor.

I wouldn't mind Dow spending the week down back on Fantasia.

Port will kill us this weekend with their small forwards and quick ball movement. Dow looks lost week after week -- give him a defined role to lock down Fantasia. We have a genuine weakness of lock down small defenders, despite bringing in Saad. Dow has all the characteristics of a lock down defender; quick, agile, hard at the ball and body.. so what do we have to lose?

Dow has never shown great defensive pressure ability and you want to put him in defence on fantasia who would be far too quick and agile for him?

Dow is definitely not agile from what we've seen.

We lose a lot putting him in defence when hes never played there and throwing out our whole defensive structure.

I must be getting weird in my old age .. the closer its getting to Saturday, the more confident I am sure we will win ...

Dow has never shown great defensive pressure ability and you want to put him in defence on fantasia who would be far too quick and agile for him?

Dow is definitely not agile from what we've seen.

We lose a lot putting him in defence when hes never played there and throwing out our whole defensive structure.
Slow of mind.

Most likely due to lack of confidence and not wanting to stuff up. Makes him freeze up a little.

Port will kill us this weekend with their small forwards and quick ball movement. Dow looks lost week after week -- give him a defined role to lock down Fantasia. We have a genuine weakness of lock down small defenders, despite bringing in Saad. Dow has all the characteristics of a lock down defender; quick, agile, hard at the ball and body.. so what do we have to lose?
I like it.

It may not work, but neither is what we're currently asking him to do.

Simple jobs could definitely help build his confidence.

If they're not willing to try something out of left field like this, then he needs to go back to the 2's. Otherwise, we're not serious about winning this game and making the 8 this year.

That may sound over the top, but I don't know how else to interpret it. It's not like we don't have guys in the 2's playing well in the same role.

I like it.

It may not work, but neither is what we're currently asking him to do.

Simple jobs could definitely help build his confidence.

If they're not willing to try something out of left field like this, then he needs to go back to the 2's. Otherwise, we're not serious about winning this game and making the 8 this year.

That may sound over the top, but I don't know how else to interpret it. It's not like we don't have guys in the 2's playing well in the same role.

Well it can't be any worse. Whatever role he is playing now is not working so what's to lose ?

You compared the hard edge at selection of Hardwick and Hinkley with Teague. Vast difference in coaching experience and acumen.

Less experience as a head coach sure - what evidence do you have to suggest that Teague has less acumen than Hardwick or Hinkley? That is a big call and I actually don't see any evidence for it.

Newnes doesn't do enough:
Per Footy wire per game
22 disposals
3.5 inside 50s
7 marks
1.5 rebound 50s
0.5 tackles (problematic)

Think he goes ok. If Ramsey came in and did this, he would be lauded.

I guess you have to ask whether the 3.5 inside 50s do enough to offset the lack of defensive pressure going the other way? It probably depends on whether those 3.5 entries are efficient. My gut feel is that the hurt factor isn’t enough for a guy who is not giving us much two-way run.

That said, I agree the other wing position is way more problematic for us.

Fantasia would take him for a run up to the wing and then lose him on the way back with ease. I can't think of a worse position for Paddy than as a small defender. He's not a great kick and would be a liability in transition/switch play. He's indecisive when given multiple targets and has a tendency to get run down. He lacks the tank for repeat efforts and gives up on chasing an opponent far too easily.

If we're gonna trial Dow as a small defender it has to be at VFL level, cause it's not just about standing your man, it's about fitting into the defensive structures well enough that SPS, Doc, Plow, Saad, Weiters, Jones etc. aren't having to cover your deficiencies or inexperience.

But if we're gonna send him back to the VFL it needs to be so he can spend full games on ball and build some confidence. He either develops and we win, does enough to pique another club's interest and we can flip him for a more important piece of the puzzle, or he fails and we know that it was the right decision to get him as far from the senior side as possible.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well it can't be any worse. Whatever role he is playing now is not working so what's to lose ?
Potentially the match.

People can't genuinely entertain the concept of moving a young man who is struggling in his preferred position and with his confidence to place him into defence for the first time in his life. Put him in the reserves as an inside mid for the next month and get him working on the areas that our coaches have identified as areas that he needs to be stronger in.

I guess you have to ask whether the 3.5 inside 50s do enough to offset the lack of defensive pressure going the other way? It probably depends on whether those 3.5 entries are efficient. My gut feel is that the hurt factor isn’t enough for a guy who is not giving us much two-way run.

That said, I agree the other wing position is way more problematic for us.

What makes you think Newnes isn't doing his bit defensively?

His role is predominantly to hold his position off the contest to be used as an outlet, collect the odd loose ball, and then push forward and provide an extra forward target at times.

He's averaging 7.2 score involvements a game, as well as 4 intercepts a game. As an attacking wingman that looks about right to me. Get the outside ball, get it forward, then hold position to deny the opposition easy rebound footy.

Less experience as a head coach sure - what evidence do you have to suggest that Teague has less acumen than Hardwick or Hinkley? That is a big call and I actually don't see any evidence for it.
His reluctance to rotate through the midfield, his reluctance to rotate players between the two squads, the run of goals against last year although he seems to have stemmed that recently. His lack of confidence to speak his mind in press conferences, more astute coaches just pull the trigger.

These things will develop in time and his coaching instincts and acumen will grow exponentially.

Good teams win even with injuries.

I see after beating GC and the Dockers we are thinking we are really good.

But all we are is a pathetic club, some are happy with being "competitive" when all that really means we are mediocre.

If we win I won't criticize us for 3 weeks, I don't care about being "competive" or a "morale" victory, I want a win against a very good team and only a win will suffice.

But all we are is a pathetic club, some are happy with being "competitive" when all that really means we are mediocre.

If we win I won't criticize us for 3 weeks, I don't care about being "competive" or a "morale" victory, I want a win against a very good team and only a win will suffice.
Don't come here with comments like "pathetic club". Add analysis, considered opinion by all means. Leave this stuff for Fakebook...

Quality Facebook comment, right here.

What makes you think Newnes isn't doing his bit defensively?

His role is predominantly to hold his position off the contest to be used as an outlet, collect the odd loose ball, and then push forward and provide an extra forward target at times.

He's averaging 7.2 score involvements a game, as well as 4 intercepts a game. As an attacking wingman that looks about right to me. Get the outside ball, get it forward, then hold position to deny the opposition easy rebound footy.
Yeah I'm not sure where the criticism for Newnes has come from. He's not a word beater but he's far from our worst. He's a solid soldier in the team currently. Probably not who we want in our finals team but right now he's doing a job.

Says alot about the club's ruck division if a 9 game players is best 22......
This place is truly amazing, when we have players like Dow and LoB who are taking a while to fulfil their earlier promise, it's "our development sucks, we recruited incorrectly, moan moan moan ...". And when we have a player who's clearly shown an ability to perform in the ruck (great games against Grundy and Nic Nat last year), it's "oh, but what does that say about our team that a 9 game player is considered our preferred ruck option".

The preference for the negative is astounding ...

Insanity. Screaming out for a win but getting it is no longer enough. I keep thinking I've seen everything possible here but silly me.
Gee Thy, do just want to give people a clip because it's sport. Of course I'd rapt for a win even if by 2 points.
What I am alluding to. Is that if we can play with sustained intensity, play our system and not only win, but comfortably even without our best 22.
It suggests we can put a good side away, and that we are definitely on the right track.
The players and the fans would love it.
That's all

“We” are not a pathetic club. Nobody is “thinking we are really good....”
Time to take a break perhaps. You don’t have to be all sunshine and rainbows but perhaps some constructive analysis would be better. 2 wins in a row doesn’t make as premiers but it sure beats losing.
I like the talk of Ramsay but would love if Stocker could get a block of games too. Hoping Saads niggle is ok and Williams is good to go Saturday!
Go blues!

But if we're gonna send him back to the VFL it needs to be so he can spend full games on ball and build some confidence. He either develops and we win, does enough to pique another club's interest and we can flip him for a more important piece of the puzzle, or he fails and we know that it was the right decision to get him as far from the senior side as possible.

Surely the best thing for Dow in the VFL is to split his time between mid and forward in the low(er) scrutiny environment. No matter how well he plays on ball, there's no place in the seniors for one dimensional footballers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back