Preview Changes vs Collingwood, Rd 5, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A significant change for the weekend has to be who is kicking the ball in from points

Looking at Gov last week kicking long to the right, he was obviously following team orders. Who the flock ever thought that one of the best contested marking beasts in the game should kick in from points needs a bullet!!!! If I was Buckley, I would love the opposition best mark to be behind the ball.

I heard GoEaglesGoSGIO say that we need someone to kick it far enough. That worked a treat in the second half against St Blunder!!! How painful was it watching Gov go to the right and for the ball to be trapped in a contest and allow the Saints to pressure act it in their HFF.

Why not use the full expanse of Optus and not limited to just the narrow right hand side hugging the boundary line. Predictability from West Coast makes planning for the opposition easy. Cole, Nelson, Witherden and Rotham are all decent options to play on out of the square and find targets. Let's leave Gov to be out there on a lead and in a 1 on 1 contest. I for one would be happy to back in his one on one in a marking contested.

Last edited:
A significant change for the weekend has to be who is kicking the ball in from points

Looking at Gov last week kicking long to the right, he was obviously following team orders. Who the flock every thought that one of the best contested marking beasts in the game should kick in from points needs a bullet!!!! If I was Buckley, I would love the opposition best mark to be behind the ball.

I heard GoEaglesGoSGIO say that we need someone to kick it far enough. That worked a treat in the second half against St Blunder!!! How painful was it watching Gov go to the right and for the ball to be trapped in a contest and allow the Saints to pressure act it in their HFF.

Why not use the full expanse of Optus and not limited to just the narrow right hand side hugging the boundary line. Predictability from West Coast makes planning for the opposition easy. Cole, Nelson, Witherden and Rotham are all decent options to play on out of the square and find targets. Let's leave Gov to be out there on a lead and in a 1 on 1 contest. I for one would be happy to back in his one on one in a marking contested.

Need that capability as opposed to just doing it. You need to set a bigger zone when you know the guy kicking it out has a 20-70m deep passing range. If Rotham kicks in he aint getting it past 55 really so shrinks the zone you need to complete in the air and cramps it up more. Witherden will take the kick ins obviously to keep that range and make the zone Collingwood need to set larger

The changes.

Clearly Vardy is horses for courses because of Grundy, and maybe there is an element of protecting Oscar.

Witherden, Langdon and XON are fine inclusions based on what happened last week as well as the injuries we have. I'm disappointed that both Jones and Winder were dropped considering the other outs. I have to seriously question the point of bringing Winder over east last week instead of XON if he was going to be dumped from the squad completely even with small forward injuries.

We look very tall and very very slow.

Langdon replaced JJ. We got overrun due to lack of midfield rotations so XON is in for Winder. Vardy is in for Petch because we fear Grundy and want to stop his around the ground influence. Vardy probably wont be able to spend any time forward. He needs to go with Grundy aerobically and I cant see him being able to do much up forward if thats his role. Collingwood will also be carrying a similar issue though with Keane in the side.
I believe we got overrun due to lack of an inside midfielder. Someone who can get first hands on the ball and then get it to the plethora of outside style mids that we have. If we had any inside mids last week, it might have stopped us having our pants pulled down post centre clearances and and starting on our HBF. Similar dominance from other second half stoppages around the ground.

Last week, our mids who predominantly played an outside role included Kelly, Gaff, Duggan, Sheed and Brander. Redden as probably our only balanced mid. Cripps is so out of form at the moment that his rotations in the midfield are meaningless. Ryan provided some grunt at stoppages and tore through but he was pretty much on his own.

The biggest change to our midfield from the Port game was Shuey being out.

Need that capability as opposed to just doing it. You need to set a bigger zone when you know the guy kicking it out has a 20-70m deep passing range. If Rotham kicks in he aint getting it past 55 really so shrinks the zone you need to complete in the air and cramps it up more. Witherden will take the kick ins obviously to keep that range and make the zone Collingwood need to set larger
But the issue last week was that we kept roosting it to a very narrow area so the zone was miniscule. Predictable and defendable by the opposition.

The worst for me was that Gov's marking has been taken out as an option. We did it to ourselves. BTW Ratten forgot to say thanks in his presser.

I believe we got overrun due to lack of an inside midfielder. Someone who can get first hands on the ball and then get it to the plethora of outside style mids that we have. If we had any inside mids last week, it might have stopped us having our pants pulled down post centre clearances and and starting on our HBF. Similar dominance from other second half stoppages around the ground.

Last week, our mids who predominantly played an outside role included Kelly, Gaff, Duggan, Sheed and Brander. Redden as probably our only balanced mid. Cripps is so out of form at the moment that his rotations in the midfield are meaningless. Ryan provided some grunt at stoppages and tore through but he was pretty much on his own.

The biggest change to our midfield from the Port game was Shuey being out.
Even Redden leans more toward being a receiver too. Simple fact is we don’t have anywhere near enough extractors. the few we have recruited have been turned into something else because why bother extracting when you have Naitanui dominating centre bounces

Looking at all the talls we’ve picked, which ones are everyone worried about being a hindrance because of a lack of agility and mobility?

Vardy and ...?
An underdone Waterman to go with Vardy is a bit of a yikes. I feel like we should only be running with one of those, at least until Jake has a few more games under his belt.

I don’t think we’re “too tall” because as you say, a lot of those talls could probably compete in the centre square with their attributes (Brander already playing there, Waterman runs all day and Allen has shown he’s more than capable on the ground when he rucks).

But I still think we do lack a lot of run/running speed, from the smalls in particular. We also lack creativity from anywhere forward of centre with this current lineup so we need to hope our backline is up and about to generate counter attacks and Nic has a day out.

The talls themselves aren’t an issue but I think all of Allen, Brander, Vardy and an underdone Waterman combined with Cripps, Langdon, Nelson, Cole plus Redden and Sheed in the centre is a little scary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel like we are going a bit too tall again, but what can you do with Grundy running around. Dudes still a massive threat even if he's having a down year, I guess they still need Vardy to take the load of Allen/NN.

Dropping Cox is interesting, he's legit been an excellent FWD in the games they've played against us. People rag on him a lot, and he's very up and down, but that low, punchy kick action he has is really nice when he's taking set shots and he works hard to get to contests.

They're looking fast in the middle. Going to try and cut us up down the guts (which wouldn't be an issue if Yeo and Shuey were in, but it's a big issue with them out). Wanna see a huge game from Redden and Sheed here, not so concerned about Tim Kelly think he's fine and still works hard (even if last week was a bit of a stinker for him).

I'm a bit 'meh' after last week, and also I don't s**t about * so who knows

What are your terms again

If Vardy gets more than 5 hitouts and 5 disposals, you have to change your AV, signature, title and location to something of my choosing for a month.

If Vardy doesn’t get those numbers, you get to do the same thing, and, in addition, I won’t talk about Vardy in any of my posts for the next month.

Sounds good?

I don’t understand why you bring Winder in for a game and then drop him straight away. He may not have set the world on fire but he did score a goal and should be given time to get used to the higher level. Maybe he needs to change his name to Petrucelle to get multiple games in a row doing nothing before he gets dropped?

Is there a trophy at the end of this game? The "we're s**t but not as s**t as Collingwood/Eagles" trophy.

I don’t understand why you bring Winder in for a game and then drop him straight away. He may not have set the world on fire but he did score a goal and should be given time to get used to the higher level. Maybe he needs to change his name to Petrucelle to get multiple games in a row doing nothing before he gets dropped?

With injuries to Ryan and Petch i think we will see more of him.

Trust me, I’ll honour the bet, unlike FKASC.
Mine wasn’t a bet. I said I’d delete my account if Lecca got more than 2 tackles. There was no consideration for how I would benefit if I were right, so I’m not sure you can call it a bet. Plus I already deleted my account once before, and didn’t want to lose my post-to-like ratio again

If Vardy gets more than 5 hitouts and 5 disposals, you have to change your AV, signature, title and location to something of my choosing for a month.

If Vardy doesn’t get those numbers, you get to do the same thing, and, in addition, I won’t talk about Vardy in any of my posts for the next month.

Sounds good?
You can keep your av and all that but instead of you not posting Vardy propaganda for a month, how about you aren’t allowed to do it until he records more than 5 disposals and 5 hitouts in an AFL match?

Could be longer than a month, could be less but given how confident you are in his ability you should come out a winner regardless.

Looking at all the talls we’ve picked, which ones are everyone worried about being a hindrance because of a lack of agility and mobility?

Vardy and ...?
For the past two years having a forward line of JK, JD, OAllen, Waterman and Brander wandering around on the wing/up forward, it's been one tall too many, even playing one ruck.

Last week the +1 was an underdone Jake Waterman. Struggled for mobility all game and clearly wasn't match fit.

So this week it is Vardy + Jake.
At the end of the day, Waterman is a pretty solid footballer. Unfortunately for him he isn't as good as Oscar Allen. And plays the same 3rd tall/mobile forward role. That means we either don't play him or we go in too tall. If JK retires at the end of the year, we actually get a bit of a 'problem solved' moment.

Against Grundy (80-90% game time) we have NN running at 60-70% game time. That means we are having to cover about 20% game time. Is Vardy, running at 50% game time and very static the answer? Or are we better just using Darling up forward and whoever down back? Or accepting we don't really compete at all for a portion of the game but have an extra inside mid to steal the ruck work?

Lucky goal, did little in a complete capitualtion. Time to rebuild his confidence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back