Player Watch #39 Mate Colina

Remove this Banner Ad

I think its more about completing thee free college education he gets whilst playing basket ball

I know nothing about basket ball is he any good ? Whats the league like where he plays and is he like their best 5 player ?

Absolutely it is, primarily at least, basketball is a ticket to ride..... He would have done his reckoning and hence his preparedness to consider AFL like that big lump of pelican poo called Cox did.

I think its more about completing thee free college education he gets whilst playing basket ball

I know nothing about basket ball is he any good ? Whats the league like where he plays and is he like their best 5 player ?

No, definitely not in the best five - was considered a Junior for previous years now a Sophomore (whatever the hell that means) - his game time is improving it seems but hang in Mate, get scholarship done and dusted and come make a mark at AFL...... as Yabbie used to say "mates and memories"

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2003
somewhere in the jungle something is lurking
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
tigers
No, definitely not in the best five - was considered a Junior for previous years now a Sophomore (whatever the hell that means) - his game time is improving it seems but hang in Mate, get scholarship done and dusted and come make a mark at AFL...... as Yabbie used to say "mates and memories"
sophmore is second year, junior is 3rd year, senior is 4th year. freshman is 1st year.

says he is a junior on the playing roster.

That makes sense, I think I read the Website 19/20 season reference - so 20/21 is Junior (like that term makes sense) - probably has 21/22 to roll still

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
No doubting your information but whats the likelihood of him giving up on his dream and staying at Richmond in 2021?

He's not getting offers from anywhere with pedestrian stats like 6.5pts and 5.1 rebounds in 18 minutes a game in a weak conference. Surely it would make more sense for him to train full time and be 12 months ahead in his development.
Tbh I don’t see where this leads our ruck stocks have never been stronger in the modern game ,
Triple premiership nank
Premiership soldo
Ccj
Cholly
Samson Ryan
That’s five good options, and now mate that at best I’d think is 2 full seasons of vfl away from being remotely close . I don’t see how this fits

Roksman

Premiership Player
Feb 12, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
No doubting your information but whats the likelihood of him giving up on his dream and staying at Richmond in 2021?

He's not getting offers from anywhere with pedestrian stats like 6.5pts and 5.1 rebounds in 18 minutes a game in a weak conference. Surely it would make more sense for him to train full time and be 12 months ahead in his development.
I actually bumped into him last night walking to Marvel and had a quick chat with him - very nice guy.

Obviously didn't talk long but he confirmed he's finishing his studies later this year. I won't go into detail verbatim about what was said but reading between the lines, I'll be shocked if he pursues basketball - Sounded locked into AFL / Richmond to me.

NOTE: Yes, he's very tall.

I actually bumped into him last night walking to Marvel and had a quick chat with him - very nice guy.

Obviously didn't talk long but he confirmed he's finishing his studies later this year. I won't go into detail verbatim about what was said but reading between the lines, I'll be shocked if he pursues basketball - Sounded locked into AFL / Richmond to me.

Thanks for the info. He's the weird guy we all know about, but have never seen. Good to hear something sort of directly from him about what he's up to.

banzai

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 14, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
The next gen tigers

2023 onward

Hope he is athletic as Noah

CCJ / Samson / Mate all in the same team

Samsons kicking looked great. FWIW I think we lose CCJ, If he hasn't broken into the first 22 by the end of the year he will leave and he's not overtaking Nank or Lynch anytime soon.

guruisatiger

Grand Poohbah of Ganymede
Oct 25, 2006
from the hinterlands of sri lanka and tibet
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
B.S.C youngboys.. Borussia Dortmund

saw him at the game on thursday night next to ivan soldo
big Mate made ivan look small

blaisee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
None
I know ruckman are hard to find, but how many ruckman are too many ruckman ?

Nank, Soldo, Chol, CCJ, Sampson and now Colina

Thats 6, and we only play 1 in the 1sts, we were allready trying to loan Sampson out to get game time, so where exactly is Colina going to play ?

Any chance we can get an NFL footballer that can run, and likes tackling instead?

Back