Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably a few years too late.
This list will be mid-tier for a decade and more after this bloke walks out the bloody door. Gary Ayres MKII all over again.

Then you should have posted this in the Wells thread.

I hear there is some unrest & I hope that means positive change.
Would have to be absolute garbage, IMO. Geelong FC has a rich and almost unparalleled history of not sacking coaches during a season. What does it achieve? If we don't make finals - and let's face it there are still 19 rounds to be played and 8 home games to come - I'm sure things will happen at the end of the season

Would have to be absolute garbage, IMO. Geelong FC has a rich and almost unparalleled history of not sacking coaches during a season. What does it achieve? If we don't make finals - and let's face it there are still 19 rounds to be played and 8 home games to come - I'm sure things will happen at the end of the season
I agree I doubt there are sacking motions afoot, CS's record is too good. I reckon there might be some tweaking going on, Wells going may be a catalyst. Don't know much more just what I heard. Like I said hope for positive change

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting.

Unrest within the playing group, or higher up the chain?
Not sure C. I think one of the great risks we have is hubris, but I hope there are some hard convos going on. We are off the pace at the moment as has been pointed out. Many outs not helping but my guess is that it seems too many are not putting in, game plan tired, changes needed. Maybe some tweaks, or even twerks

I agree I doubt there are sacking motions afoot, CS's record is too good. I reckon there might be some tweaking going on, Wells going may be a catalyst. Don't know much more just what I heard. Like I said hope for positive change

All possible, but I would be unsure how or why Wells would be a first step.....if that's the case

All possible, but I would be unsure how or why Wells would be a first step.....if that's the case
CS will leave when he is ready to, imho, and judging by his comments about Brad, I would not be surprised if it was at the end of 2021, flag or bust. He is highly respected in the coaching fraternity, deservedly so.

CS will leave when he is ready to, imho, and judging by his comments about Brad, I would not be surprised if it was at the end of 2021, flag or bust. He is highly respected in the coaching fraternity, deservedly so.
Won’t go with a year on the contract. End 2022 a distinct possibility.

Perhaps there's some internal questioning of the strategy to move out so many picks/youth to bring in a number of older players to prop up a game plan/pursuit that, from the first month of footy, appears to be falling flat.

But I think more likely with Wells it's just time, and if there is any internal scrutiny of him, then that's just sort of the trigger or final straw for what's been coming for a while. He's been around an awfully long time, so it's not all too surprising to see him step down. Going to go out a rightfully highly lauded servant of the club.

Perhaps there is a feeling with Scott that it is time as well. He too has been at the job quite a while in coaching terms. But we aren't the type of club to sack coaches mid-season, and that would make no sense. A month in with a couple of losses after making a grand final the previous year is not going to lead to a sacking unless there is some kind of extreme behind-the-scenes turmoil afoot. There may, however, be some (overdue) questioning, criticism, pressure, etc. coming from internal stakeholders about the direction the club has pursued regarding its list management, game plan, etc. given what we've seen in the opening month.

Won’t go with a year on the contract. End 2022 a distinct possibility.
I'd be happy if he extended- he has Clarko traits and nous, but he sounded disillusioned. May have read too much into it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back