News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Need I remind Ed that we are still paying a percentage of Treloar’s salary.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

And Beams and Stevo.

5 years of first round picks we are paying to play against us or not be at the club.

McClure was too scared to go on with what he started in that argument.

While Rendell would obviously be invested to some degree in these kids, his comments post his departure from the club don't need to be as positive as those. Especially on the players who he has seen at the club over a year or 2 so he now has greater insight into. I take just about everything I read from the media with a grain of salt but he has nothing to lose/gain in this circumstance so I think the comments should be taken on face value. Still just 1 blokes opinion though.
The thing to remember with media commentators is that they have to say "something". And hope that the particular something they say garners some attention.

And Beams and Stevo.

5 years of first round picks we are paying to play against us or not be at the club.

McClure was too scared to go on with what he started in that argument.
We're not paying any of Stevo's. North has just spread his money over 5 years rather than our 3.

Soz if this has already been posted.

The one thing take out of it which Ed did not dispute, when Lyon alluded that 'you have a crack at it and if you don't win it then you go again' re a flag tilt - which we had a tilt at unsuccessfully. I look at that as a confirmation that we're not it anymore from Eds perspective given his not defending the point.

Given Eds rather emotional defence of our list management 'debacle' which it has been and describing last years ef win as 'one of the greatest of all time' not to mention the 'we were a kick away from a flag, made a pf' blah blah blah - he cried this about a dozen times trying to defend the indefensible.

He sounds like a few posters on this board, like nearly winning a flag is somehow success. This should not be the mindset of the president of the highest profile sporting club in the country. Does this attitude from the highest chair have or has had a flow on effect on the footy department? I would hope not but have grave fears.

My hope is that our new president is ruthless in the pursuit of dynasties, 'if other clubs can do it, then we can and we owe it to our fans and members that we should'. That's the outlook I'd like to see from our new president.

The one thing take out of it which Ed did not dispute, when Lyon alluded that 'you have a crack at it and if you don't win it then you go again' re a flag tilt - which we had a tilt at unsuccessfully. I look at that as a confirmation that we're not it anymore from Eds perspective given his not defending the point.

Given Eds rather emotional defence of our list management 'debacle' which it has been and describing last years ef win as 'one of the greatest of all time' not to mention the 'we were a kick away from a flag, made a pf' blah blah blah - he cried this about a dozen times trying to defend the indefensible.

He sounds like a few posters on this board, like nearly winning a flag is somehow success. This should not be the mindset of the president of the highest profile sporting club in the country. Does this attitude from the highest chair have or has had a flow on effect on the footy department? I would hope not but have grave fears.

My hope is that our new president is ruthless in the pursuit of dynasties, 'if other clubs can do it, then we can and we owe it to our fans and members that we should'. That's the outlook I'd like to see from our new president.

You act like you’re the only one who wants a flag.

Don't know how you come to that conclusion, ridiculous and desperate post, shouldn't have even graced this with a reply.

Apologies to all the other posters.
You said this - “He sounds like a few posters on this board, like nearly winning a flag is somehow success.”

I think this is a really arrogant thing to say. We were all gutted by the 2018 grand final loss. No one thinks we were successful that day. You act like you’re the only one who felt that pain. Well you’re not!

I completely agree with Ed that a successful season isn’t just defined by winning the flag. Yes that the main goal but 2018 still had amazing memories, the win over the Tigers in the Prelim was all time.

But to use that for the incompetence of the salary cap management/trading/drafting is typical Ed.
Richmond have won 3 of 4 and haven’t had the cap issues we have had.

Just because we are doubling down doesn’t mean we should overpay for Beams.
We have nothing to show for the first round of the 2015-19 drafts and to add insult to injury are still paying 2 of them!!! That is a debacle.

You said this - “He sounds like a few posters on this board, like nearly winning a flag is somehow success.”

I think this is a really arrogant thing to say. We were all gutted by the 2018 grand final loss. No one thinks we were successful that day. You act like you’re the only one who felt that pain. Well you’re not!
I completely agree with Ed that a successful season isn’t just defined by winning the flag. Yes that the main goal but 2018 still had amazing memories, the win over the Tigers in the Prelim was all time.

But to use that for the incompetence of the salary cap management/trading/drafting is typical Ed.
Richmond have won 3 of 4 and haven’t had the cap issues we have had.

Just because we are doubling down doesn’t mean we should overpay for Beams.
We have nothing to show for the first round of the 2015-19 drafts and to add insult to injury are still paying 2 of them!!! That is a debacle.

Yeah that was the point I was making.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that a quote from someone about owing it to fans? Was it Eddie? It seems a rather stupid thing to say. A supporter who pays his money is owed admission to the game.

source for the Stevo claim?

I was corrected on this by another poster, apparently we aren’t paying any of Stevo’s - my mistake if that’s correct and we aren’t.

We are currently paying Treloar/Beams who we traded for first rounders in; 2015,2016,2018,2019.
Stranger than fiction.

Les Zig is a Melbourne-based author, screenwriter, and speaker. He is the author of "Song of the Curlew" (Pinion Press 2019), "August Falling" (Pantera Press 2018), and "Just Another Week in Suburbia" (Pantera Press 2017). His screenplays have been optioned and placed in over forty international competitions. He has never won one of them. Over 40 and not one win. He feeds his failed attempts in the literary world with the money he gets from fronting a podcast about Collingwood.

Couldn't agree more. Time for change, and l am really hoping Bucks is taking note, and considering some of these moves.....

Mick McGuane: Nathan Buckley needs to reinvent himself and the Collingwood game plan

Collingwood, it’s time to buck the system.
It is far from panic stations yet, but Friday night is the time to earn back the Magpie identity.
Firstly, it involves being aggressive in the contest and manic with pressure.

The other key shift needed is from the coaches’ box. Come on, Bucks, stop the rot.
It is time to bring your creative footy mind to the team.
You were a champion player who could read trends on the field and respond to situations as they unfolded.
Watch the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season. Every match of every round Live on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >
Now you must express that risk-taking dare through your players. Because you have become too reliant on your system.
A strong argument can be mounted that your reluctance to change personnel within this system and during a match has stopped the side winning games from behind.

A great example of this is the 2019 preliminary final loss to Greater Western Sydney.

Nathan Buckley needs to change the way his team is structured, says Mick McGuane. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Nathan Buckley needs to change the way his team is structured, says Mick McGuane. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images

There is no point being stubborn about player movement when the system is failing and the team is four or five goals down.
On top of this, I would hope your loyal assistants can find the courage and strength to seriously challenge you when things are slipping away during a game.
Bucks, get back to being you.

Stop being too conservative, back your gut feel more often and come to realise that you are at your best when your instincts control your next decision.
I’m currently not seeing that in your coaching. It’s sterile and predictable.
Above all, it lacks imagination.
I’ve seriously believed in you along the journey but now more than ever, is the time to revert to being a more “sense the occasion” coach.
The players will be stimulated through your will and want to change things up.
Here are some suggestions to help you retake control:

1. Drop Cox
Collingwood loses far too many one-on-one battles in the forward line.
So starting this week, take some risks with positional changes and make some hard calls.
Don’t be accepting of players that are consistently letting critical opportunities slip but still gifted games the following week.
So drop Mason Cox – he is not delivering in his primary role.
He has lost 63 per cent of the 16 one-on-ones he has contested. Cox is tall, mostly plays in front and as a result gets his hands on the ball a lot but doesn’t always complete the mark.
The time has come to at least try Darcy Moore up forward in 2021. Picture: Quinn Rooney/Getty Images

The time has come to at least try Darcy Moore up forward in 2021. Picture: Quinn Rooney/Getty Images

2. Swing Moore into attack
In Collingwood’s past two games it has registered only 13 marks from 105 Inside 50s.
So why not throw Darcy Moore forward?
Have a look at Brody Mihocek playing alongside another teammate that turns 50/50 opportunities into wins.
Moore has received plaudits for his intercept ability down back and rightfully so, but that alone doesn’t allow him to escape criticism.
He has conceded 34 marks and 42 uncontested possessions to his match-up – both being the most of any key defender.
Even those returns can be a reflection of the team’s lack of pressure up the ground, but it might also be Moore subconsciously saying: “I need a change, swing me forward”.
Jordan De Goey needs more space to work with up forward. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Jordan De Goey needs more space to work with up forward. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images

3. Get De Goey one-out
Jordan De Goey will be the one who will benefit most with greater movement around him.
He is the Pies’ best one-on-one forward, yet clearly doesn’t get used enough to exhibit his combination of speed, strength, skill and uncanny goal sense.
It’s incomprehensible that he has only been involved in seven one-on-one contests this year. Better isolation and separation against Brad Sheppard is a must.
Darcy Cameron could slot into a ruck/forward role nicely. Picture: Getty Images

Darcy Cameron could slot into a ruck/forward role nicely. Picture: Getty Images

4. Mix up the rucks
Darcy Cameron is another obvious candidate to play as a key forward but also as a relief ruckman, as he was so important against Nic Naitanui in last year’ final.

5. Luck of the Irish
Bring Mark Keane in to play in defence.
He made his debut against Fremantle and started on Rory Lobb so why not pick him to play for Oscar Allen.
If it’s not him, bring Will Kelly into the team. Kelly is a competitive beast.
I know he is preparing to be a forward but don’t underestimate his abilities as a defender.
His father, Craig, was a premiership defender and his brother plays an important defensive role at the Crows.
The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.
Callum Brown could make an excellent small defender. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Callum Brown could make an excellent small defender. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images

6. Be bold with Brown
Why not reinvent Callum Brown as a small defender?
He is bred to fight and scrap and he will make it hard for any opposition small forward he comes up against.
As a small forward he has only kicked three behinds from four games this year – yet he has applied 13 tackles.
Is he thinking too much about defence in an area that should be his second thought?
That’s why his attacking flair is currently lost.
He has only kicked 19 goals from his 53 career games.

7. Switch Noble’s role
Josh Thomas this year has kicked 2.3 from his four games.
He is miles away from the opportunistic small pressure forward he was in 2018 and 2019, when he kicked 60 from his 48 games in that period.
The other thought is to flip John Noble to be a small pressure forward.
Why not have a look at him there?
Can he bring some goalkicking nous to a forward line desperate for a fresh look?

8. Tag Tim Kelly
Levi Greenwood must play to tag Tim Kelly on Friday night, considering Luke Shuey and Elliot Yeo are not in the Eagles’ midfield.
He is task orientated and brings a defensive edge and hardness to the group.
He will be strong in the contest and apply great pressure. So it’s a no-brainer.
Tyler Brown has the tools to become a solid inside-mid. Picture: AAP Image/Michael Dodge

Tyler Brown has the tools to become a solid inside-mid. Picture: AAP Image/Michael Dodge

9. Bolster the midfield
Get Tyler Brown to play as an inside-mid, not necessarily on Friday night, but in future planning. Using him on the outside is not his go.
His bodywork and discipline on Patrick Cripps at stoppages last year was a great example of that.

10. Move the veterans around
Throw Steele Sidebottom or Scott Pendlebury back at times to be a part of your back six.
Ball use and a lack of composure is hurting the team too often and some of the culprits that give the ball back too easily might benefit having your leaders behind the ball to lead the way with effective counter attack ball use.
That would bring a sense of ball security to an area that’s impossible to defend D50 turnovers. And isn’t that currently hurting the team?
Josh Daicos is deadly around goal, but his silky foot skills should be used to hit up leading forwards more often. Picture: Michael Klein

Josh Daicos is deadly around goal, but his silky foot skills should be used to hit up leading forwards more often. Picture: Michael Klein

11. Use Daicos’ elite skills
Push Josh Daicos back to his wing role to ensure there is better ball use going forward between the arcs.
His tram track running on his wing last year was outstanding.
He pushes back hard to support defence or to be an exit option to start an offensive move.
He knows when to push forward and kick a critical goal.

12. Let Quaynor use his speed
Isaac Quaynor was good as a deep hybrid defender until last week.
He was outclassed by Toby Greene. Swap Brayden Maynard to that role and allow Quaynor to bring some bounce and overlap so speed on the game becomes more of a constant. Collingwood’s mark-and-play-on percentage is 17th in the AFL, so more risk is required.
Free Quaynor up and allow his free spirit to become a part of the game.
He looks inhibited deep and a reluctant runner to join in with offence.
Jack Crisp could do with more midfield time. Picture: Michael Klein

Jack Crisp could do with more midfield time. Picture: Michael Klein

13. Don’t leave Jack down back
Jack Crisp must play midfield more often. He has become a very consistent player irrespective of his role. He references opposition mids quickly which helps bring a sense of accountability to the team in defensive transition.
So there it is, Bucks. Some food for thought.
At the moment, there is too much sameness week to week.
You know footy, so stop the lameness.
Bring back the boldness and vitality you played with to your coaching. Don’t die with the music in you. You will otherwise regret it.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/whatsapp://send?text=Mick McGuane: Nathan Buckley needs to reinvent himself and the Collingwood game plan
One had coached an AFL team for 10 years and won coach of the year, missing a flag by a kick, the other has never coached an AFL team, I know who I'd be more likely to trust.

The only relevant part of that article is this
I know nothing about finance or salary caps
and that it's written by some wannabe footy opinion journo that no one has ever heard of.

I was corrected on this by another poster, apparently we aren’t paying any of Stevo’s - my mistake if that’s correct and we aren’t.

We are currently paying Treloar/Beams who we traded for first rounders in; 2015,2016,2018,2019.
Stranger than fiction.

Beams isn’t on our list. His payout went in the 2020 cap.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

One had coached an AFL team for 10 years and won coach of the year, missing a flag by a kick, the other has never coached an AFL team, I know who I'd be more likely to trust.

Who is questioning Buck's credentials?
After 10 years, the message, the game plan, the ideas can get stagnate, and you get a bit of tunnel vision. Doesn't hurt to look at people like Mick McGuane, and see how they perceive how the team is looking and playing, and what suggestions they may put forward, that may help the team.

The only relevant part of that article is this and that it's written by some wannabe footy opinion journo that no one has ever heard of.

he's not a journalist. he writes unsuccessful books. There are a few sports writers who are journalists but most in the industry just write about sport....as we do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back