Preview Rnd 5 - Carlton vs Port Adelaide Sat April 16th 7.25PM @ MCG - Team Post #765

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interestingly we are favourites with some bookmakers..... bonkers.
I noticed our odds had come in a bit.
Was around $2.10 vs $1.80 and now $1.94 vs $1.90.
Wouldn't be surprised if we're narrow favourites by the time they bounce the ball.

Last two weeks Gibbons and Jones have been top 3 for inside 50s. Something to watch this week, as I'd hope to see signs they're looking to give it off to better users.
Don’t get me started on Gibbo. Butchers the footy all the time but he becomes the greatest kick ever when he’s in front of the big sticks. He’s a goer and I love his story but jeez he can be selfish. Goes for the spectacular way too often. And Jones is a great kick to a lead when he’s under no pressure but if it’s in open play he either needs to kick it wide and long or hand pass to literally anyone else. These are bad habits I see every week. Coaches have to be honest with these blokes.

Don’t get me started on Gibbo. Butchers the footy all the time but he becomes the greatest kick ever when he’s in front of the big sticks. He’s a goer and I love his story but jeez he can be selfish. Goes for the spectacular way too often. And Jones is a great kick to a lead when he’s under no pressure but if it’s in open play he either needs to kick it wide and long or hand pass to literally anyone else. These are bad habits I see every week. Coaches have to be honest with these blokes.

Lack of system and/or implementation thereof means that Gibbons and Ed are the guys on the end of possession chains by virtue of effort - this one is on the coaches

Last edited:
If Ramsay is only 72kgs - he'll get smashed playing on ball - hope he has serious evasive skills and burst speed is all I can say against ports monsters.
Needs a year VFL come in 17-19 when we can't make finals .. as most of our young players should have, but we were S---e so we smashed them . Now we are in a very precarious position we have old players that aren't good enough but are Better developed to maybe win today .

Just put this here from 2s thread as be nice if more people saw it IMO.

footyfan1978 said:
ha ha. I cannot recall, but did the under 19's used to play before reserves. I think my brother played a few under 19's game when we had the old zones things.
Fairly sure they were at 9 am or something but if I ever got to a game by 11 am I was doing well considering I lived close to 2 hours travelling time so was hard to see full reserves game but when I did, was fun checking out the full Carlton squad down to number 59 or whatever large numbers they had back then.
Oh it was brilliant back in the day FF . Get to princes Park as a young fella with a good friends parents. Park at the zoo (free). Friends mum would have a thermos of sweet tea and a basket full of goodies, sandwiches, cakes etc. to get you through the whole day set up on the fence seating.

Watch the u19s sparingly as we would be out the PARK HAVING A KICK. (12Y/O attention span :D ) Marginally more attentive during reserves (as an adult now would watch all three with interest) and place starting to fill. By the time seniors came out the place packed and the seats on fence were gold except mighty hard to work your way out to the dunnies (scary place back then :poo: )and back through the shoulder to shoulder standing room crowd.

Worst thing AFL ever did was changing this structure and today will show that it could be kept going in a slightly modified form, watch reserves and then head to the "G ' , also pretty easy to have the u19s play before.

Get rid of this Bull---t TAC cup. My boy went through the whole Calder Cannons crap and thats exactly what it was. A production line with no soul and also virtually no opportunity to play seconds if good enough and test yourself against men. SANFL and WAFL kill us in this respect and any wonder their kids are a safer draft pick than ours..
Oh well enough ranting for now but if you happen to run into Gill at the Portsea polo be nice to pass this idea on! ;)

BACK TO THE FUTURE !!!

P.S. The LARGE NUMBERS will be back this ARVO :thumbsu:

Good teams win even with injuries.

I see after beating GC and the Dockers we are thinking we are really good.

But all we are is a pathetic club, some are happy with being "competitive" when all that really means we are mediocre.

If we win I won't criticize us for 3 weeks, I don't care about being "competive" or a "morale" victory, I want a win against a very good team and only a win will suffice.
Are you a closet saints supporter ?? This is the type of crap they post on their board ,you better jog on back there..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fairly happy with the changes but a touch dissapointed for Parks.
There seems to be a few concerns with Willo coming in and his form this year. So if he has a blinder can we take a poll on the following post match posts.
“I’ve always said Williamson is a star”
“Draft steal of the century, SOS is the GOAT”
“I know Willo quite well through a guy I met on a Tram”
Come on the Blues.

May be so but he was still a pick 5.

As 4th and 5th years mids we would have hoped they would be two of our better mids by now and big contributors...instead both are still on the fringe and getting dropped.

It's just disappointing.

Setters missed a lot of footy and was pretty good last year so I have more time for him...albeit I wanted him to go up a cog this year. Dow is a bust...I've said it time and time again for a mid he just doesn't hunt the ball and defensively he never improves. Hard stuff to teach.

He should be picked on what he has done and is doing this season. Doesn’t have the runs on the board to be picked on body of work.

Think this one came down to needs and that’s it. Prove me wrong Willo.

Willo should be played on a wing or even run through he middle....he was always a hard running mid, with excellent endurance.

Never a defender before arriving at Princes Park afaiaw.

I agree with the calls for Ed to sit on Boak but I’m surprised Houston doesn’t get much of a mention on here. He’s probably the best wing in the league so far this year and one of the most damaging players in the comp so far. I hope Cottrell is sent to him and advised to play him very tight all day.
Well, he is a problemmm

Willo should be played on a wing

SPOT ON 4 in 5 ......needs the space as in tight gets a bit toey. Has to be left wing as well.
He’ll have to play down back for now.

As it stands I think Cottrell and Newnes (plus cameos from Walsh, Fog, Gibbo, Murph, etc) is a better option that him anyway.

I reckon Teagues talk of ‘a body of work’ to get into the ones is directed at some of the players who have been playing well in the 2’s like Stocker, encouraging them to keep at it. My gut feel is he gets a game in the next 2-3 weeks, there just making the ‘nearly there’ players earn it.
Hope the MC keeps making changes like this week going forward. I don’t care who plays in the ones tbh, just want 100% effort and commitment for the entire game.
Yeah but cohesiveness...

Not sure if its been posted yet but looks like Dow will be the sub tonight based on the VFL teams selections

Willo should be played on a wing or even run through he middle....he was always a hard running mid, with excellent endurance.

Never a defender before arriving at Princes Park afaiaw.

I can’t see Willo making it as a mid. He takes too long to make decisions with the ball and is far too one sided. Could you imagine him receiving the ball, breaking away from a stoppage and then cutting back into traffic just to get on his preferred? Would be caught out 9/10.

Happy to leave him at half back where he has played in the past and played well. Just needs to get that confidence back, preferably in the 2s for mine, but I wish him all the best tonight. We need him to be at his best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back