Toast Welcome to the kennel Treloar

Can we all agree how good of an addition this bloke has been. He is a far better player than I thought he was watching from afar and he gives us something a lot different with his burst whilst also supporting our contested ball. He has been superb and I love having him in red white and blue

Treloar had 10 tackles today, but we said he was a one way runner.... Today the leading Collingwood tackler was a first gamer Mcreery with 8... All the best to Ads and the Doggies for the rest of the season.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wait a minute... can someone tell me if I’ve done the maths correct on this one..

If the ladder stays the same as it is now and we win the flag (shoe in) we’ve given up 1664 points for Treloar and 1687 points, so effectively the pies have given us 23 points (pick 54) to take him off their hands?

That can’t be right can it

Last edited:
Wait a minute... can someone tell me if I’ve done the maths correct on this one..

If the ladder stays the same as it is now and we win the flag (shoe in) we’ve given up 1664 points for Treloar and 1687 points, so effectively the pies have given us 23 points (pick 54) to take him off their hands?

The gift that keeps on giving.

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Yes - that is essentially correct.
Although there may still be a GC priority pick floating around and picks move around so much with bids that the exact value is hard to calculate.

Not a bad bit of business.

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Can we all agree how good of an addition this bloke has been. He is a far better player than I thought he was watching from afar and he gives us something a lot different with his burst whilst also supporting our contested ball. He has been superb and I love having him in red white and blue
Been saying for a couple of years that we were one burst midfielder short of a great mix. And that is exactly what Adz brings to the table, and with a bir of space to work in his kicking is good 😃😃

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

When you factor in the wages they are also paying it has to be the best (us)/ worst (Pies) trade ever.

They had to do it because their cap was screwed otherwise and Sammy P enforced the terms in the last hour of the trade period while simultaneously telling Dodoro to GAGF.

So sweet for us to be the ruthless party over 2 'power' clubs. That date will go down in Dogs history.

I was thinking at the time that the pick swaps were almost a fair deal in themselves without Treloar being thrown in.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
... So sweet for us to be the ruthless party over 2 'power' clubs. That date will go down in Dogs history.
An opportunity came up, a deal for the Club was negotiated but C'wood did alright too, its Treloar deal was as potentially foolish as was our Boyd deal. Had we not won the Flag, we'd have been judged foolish. Had Sheed missed, C'wood's overpayments would also have been excused, as was ours to Boyd. Substitute "'more considered" for 'ruthless'.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
An opportunity came up, a deal for the Club was negotiated but C'wood did alright too, its Treloar deal was as potentially foolish as was our Boyd deal. Had we not won the Flag, we'd have been judged foolish. Had Sheed missed, C'wood's overpayments would also have been excused, as was ours to Boyd. Substitute "'more considered" for 'ruthless'.

giphy (4).gif

HK_Bulldog

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2001
NSW
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
When you factor in the wages they are also paying it has to be the best (us)/ worst (Pies) trade ever.

They had to do it because their cap was screwed otherwise and Sammy P enforced the terms in the last hour of the trade period while simultaneously telling Dodoro to GAGF.

So sweet for us to be the ruthless party over 2 'power' clubs. That date will go down in Dogs history.

I think the salary thing is overplayed a bit. The $300k that the pies are paying is back pay. We are paying Treloar a fair wage out of our cap.

HK_Bulldog

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2001
NSW
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What is back pay in this context?

Collingwood back loaded his contract so they could pay others and keep under the cap. 2021 was when it caught up with them. Similar to how we front loaded Tom Boyd’s contract because we had space to make room for later, but in reverse. Pies backended Treloars contract to make room earlier.

Apr 8, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Collingwood back loaded his contract so they could pay others and keep under the cap. 2021 was when it caught up with them. Similar to how we front loaded Tom Boyd’s contract because we had space to make room for later, but in reverse. Pies backended Treloars contract to make room earlier.
yes I get that. But it’s widely reported that Treloar’s salary is $900k per year. Collingwood is now paying $300k per year of that and we have the rest.
Is your understanding different? Your post confused me a bit

Mantis Toboggan

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone be so consistently wrong.

Boristown

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Drawing a line in the sand and wrenching Boyd out of GWS was a turning point for the Bulldogs, told the world they would no longer be trampled on. It is little wonder the club's fortunes changed once that happened.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
Drawing a line in the sand and wrenching Boyd out of GWS was a turning point for the Bulldogs, told the world they would no longer be trampled on. It is little wonder the club's fortunes changed once that happened.
GWS has become a nursery for lots of other clubs, even North, Aiden Corr, the only Corr who couldn’t sing, begorrah, why shouldn’t the ‘Dogs get in on the rort ? Line in the sand ? Leave that to Essendon and Hawthorn.

Wheels announced that the ‘Dogs would not be trampled on with his parachute jump into the bay, off Williamstown. It was supposed to recreate the sense of need to overcome inner fears to win a Final. I’d love to be a fly on the wall at the next reunion of the 1993 team. Coaches earn more than the Prime Minister. In 2007- -2010, the ‘Dogs played finals, 3 prelims, that’s not a Club that had to demonstrate anything to the rest of the Competition, that need disappeared after 1989. Aker and Hall were happy to be recruited, whatever supporters of other Clubs might think, at the AFL, nobody doubts our Club’s seriousness.

Following the 2007 – 2010 finals, the Club appointed Dalrymple and Jason McCartney to recruit. Demetriou told Gordon that Boyd was and would be a once-in-a-generation forward. Gordon accepted that view, can't blame him for accepting the advice of the CEO of the AFL and he might have even looked at Boyd’s teeth (is that obscure enough ?) They recruited Clay Smith & Dickson (2011), Stringer (2012), Macrae (2013), Bont (2014). I wonder if Bont and Boyd ever chiacked each other about their positions in the draft ? Tom was in and out, mainly out, in 2014. I recall seeing him in our game against GWS. The most important recruitment at the end of 2014 was Bev.

There’s an article floating ‘round in these threads, I can’t find it now, about the plan to recruit a key GWS forward, hatched in 2012 which involved managing the list payments to be able to recruit the gun forward for the 2016 season, Cameron, from memory. The defection of the Club captain to GWS a year too soon offered an opportunity. Imagine what we’d have been prepared to pay the following year ! We prepaid Tom. Had he played out his 10 years or whatever, he’d now be in receipt of the salary of an over rated gun forward until 2024.

In 2015, with us, Tom received a Rising Star nomination. He was dropped and not recalled after the 16th round, receiving $1 mil plus p a, playing VFL. During 2016, Tom did little as a gun forward. The Club was headed for humiliation. Bev saw ‘round the ground capacity and played Tom in the ruck.

Treloar was ‘picked’ a year earlier by GWS. C’wood did the same as us, looked at winning a Flag by bringing in GWS fodder. Treloar was an immediate success with C’wood, unlike Tom with us.. Treloar was underpaid for the first few years. Sliding Doors. Tom plays a blinder in 2016, win, he’s now St Thomas. Treloar plays a blinder in 2019 but C’wood lose, he’s now an unaffordable commodity.

Cheer up, Adam, you are in a better place.

Last edited:

The Inbetweener

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2011
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He has been better then I expected. I was happy to get him given the very little price we paid, but he’s been fantastic.

Was the knock on his kicking based on rushed kicks while playing inside mid?

He doesn’t seem to have any issues when out in space. Also decent on his left.

Obviously we were the only club able to get him due to our cap space, but what an effort from Power to bring this guy in, pay him below his rate and virtually pay nothing in draft picks.

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
He has been better then I expected. I was happy to get him given the very little price we paid, but he’s been fantastic.

Obviously we were the only club able to get him due to our cap space, but what an effort from Power to bring this guy in, pay him below his rate and virtually pay nothing in draft picks.
He actually fits the rest of our midfield as well, with some asking for line breaking players through the middle for a while now. For as good as Bont, Macrae, Libba & Dunks are, none possess great breakaway speed. He gives us a very different dimension in there and luckily for him is that he's pretty much never going to cop any serious opposition attention.

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown

He's getting a little more space where he's the line breaker bursting from the edge of the pack while guys like Dunkley and Libba are feeding it to him.

He reminds me a lot of Ryan Griffen

I said before we recruited him that he was Cooney like, pre-knee of course.

He reminds me a lot of Ryan Griffen
Yeah, there are similarities there. An explosive goal kicking midfielder with a strong core. At his best, Griffen was better in traffic and very rarely got tackled. His evasive skills were elite.

Back