Recommitted Zach Merrett [Re-Signed til 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

He isn't going to join a club for money - as I said he'll stay at Essendon if thats the case. People really overrate how much players value money in contracts.
we've got no one to pay as well
26 players out of contract at seasons end. Hurley is a big one who likely retires next year.

Outside Stringer, Jones and Parish, i wouldn't be sad if the rest can't be re-signed cos Zach stays.
we could pay him twice the richest player in the AFL and still not stuff our cap up....

You really need to stop running with this line. It's almost definitely not going to happen.

If Merrett goes, he'll go as a FA. He'll be offered good money anywhere he goes, meaning he's almost a certainty to attract Band 1 compo. If he's going, it's because Essendon have finished Bottom 4. Meaning a Top-5 compo pick.

We aren't beating an outright Top-5 selection in a trade.
This is the key. Dodoro can huff and puff as much as he likes but if Merrett wants to go to a contender (which one would suspect he probably would), that club will likely not have any good draft picks, and it can't magic up a good draft pick it doesn't have to beat the compo pick Essendon will be getting, even if they wanted to. Dodoro is a prick but he's not an idiot.

If Merrett walks and Essendon finish bottom 4 I’d be surprised if they matched. Just take the extra top 5 pick and keep rebuilding.
Yep. And I figure if we finish above the bottom 4 its likely our youth has shown enough that Merrett will want to stay.

Unlikely to be in a position where FA compo is insufficient, and he's still leaving.

yep I agree, Wright has potential to be a good forward/ruck option

Merrett I get the feeling you guys are going to have to overpay to keep him (maybe even offer him the captaincy), you cant afford to lose imo. Plus he is 25 so he still has plenty of really good football in him and its not like you are in Norths position of a long rebuild, you could be back up in top 8 contention within 18-24 months

I debunked this myth a few pages back. A player generally remains at his original club for around 20% less than what the market can pay him.

With that in mind, he’d be up around the $1,000,000 Irvine and be pretty close to automatics band 1 compo I he was prised away from Essendon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I debunked this myth a few pages back. A player generally remains at his original club for around 20% less than what the market can pay him.

With that in mind, he’d be up around the $1,000,000 Irvine and be pretty close to automatics band 1 compo I he was prised away from Essendon.

I would class Merrett as an exception though. We're a team with plenty of cap space and he will be chased by contenders with tighter caps. If he wants the most money, it will likely be us; money is not the primary motive for a potential move.

I would class Merrett as an exception though. We're a team with plenty of cap space and he will be chased by contenders with tighter caps. If he wants the most money, it will likely be us; money is not the primary motive for a potential move.
If he wants the most money, he goes to North. If he rates our list and chooses to stay, he's not going to ask for so much that it's going to hamper getting that success.

You really need to stop running with this line. It's almost definitely not going to happen.

If Merrett goes, he'll go as a FA. He'll be offered good money anywhere he goes, meaning he's almost a certainty to attract Band 1 compo. If he's going, it's because Essendon have finished Bottom 4. Meaning a Top-5 compo pick.

We aren't beating an outright Top-5 selection in a trade.

We ain't finishing bottom 4 if we continue the form of the last 2 weeks would not surprise me if we finish between 10th-14th which certainly not be a top 5 compo pick

That top 5 pick we get could be a bust for all we know.

The draft is a lottery and it's going to be very hard to find a player as good as Merret.

Last edited:
We ain't finishing bottom 4 if we continue the form of the last 2 weeks would not surprise me if we finish between 10th-14th which certainly not be a top 5 compo pick

If we finish mid-table with the age demographic of the sides we’ve been fielding, I have a feeling he stays. It would mean we’ve played consistent, hard-working football all season.

This is the key. Dodoro can huff and puff as much as he likes but if Merrett wants to go to a contender (which one would suspect he probably would), that club will likely not have any good draft picks, and it can't magic up a good draft pick it doesn't have to beat the compo pick Essendon will be getting, even if they wanted to. Dodoro is a prick but he's not an idiot.

Your pretty spot on but there's a lot of variables in this, so its a bit hard to forecast.

He's not going to leave just for Money. He will get what he wants at Essendon. Our cap space is massive considering who has left the club recently.

A competitor is unlikely going to have the draft currency required to get Merrett on trade basis. Also unlikely to want to lose a star player to get a star player. There is of course the matter of a compensation pick however it depends what it is. It would need to be a significant pick for Essendon not to force a trade IMO. Merrett will be worth 2 x very good first round picks.

Merrett is also very unlikely to leave Victoria. So that also likely limits the clubs that can get him who are in a genuine window.

Will be very interesting to see how it all plays out that's for sure.

Cant see him leaving. Bombers can afford what he'd want. Some good kids coming through. Rutten looks to be giving the side good direction.

Cant see him leaving. Bombers can afford what he'd want. Some good kids coming through. Rutten looks to be giving the side good direction.

Merrett's decision will have absolutely ZERO to do with money. He will get what money he wants at ANY club that is perusing him.

We all (including Essendon supporters) need to come to terms with this. Merrett with either stay with us because he likes the direction we are going or we will go to a club that is competing for a flag.

Merrett will attract Band 1 compo at ANY club he goes too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Merrett's decision will have absolutely ZERO to do with money. He will get what money he wants at ANY club that is perusing him.

We all (including Essendon supporters) need to come to terms with this. Merrett with either stay with us because he likes the direction we are going or we will go to a club that is competing for a flag.

Merrett will attract Band 1 compo at ANY club he goes too.
and i think we can freeze the thread with that post
So much water to go under this bridge and it doesn't seem he'll be giving much thought to signing/rejecting a contract until later in the season.

That’s if they are successful.

Not like he would have been paid peanuts the most of his career money isn't everything & if he moves he still be paid $$ big.

Is captaincy a deal breaker? Over 40 on every list and literally only 1 can be captain. It would be a dum reason to give up success, happiness or financial security.
He's in line for captaincy at Essendon. It's one of the things he's spoken repeatedly about – he has leadership aspirations.

If no other club is willing to offer that to him then it would have to be one of the points he takes into consideration.

He's in line for captaincy at Essendon. It's one of the things he's spoken repeatedly about – he has leadership aspirations.

If no other club is willing to offer that to him then it would have to be one of the points he takes into consideration.
What if he’s a crap Captain like Coniglio? A club wouldn’t want the player dictating they’ll only stay if they can be captain.

What if he’s a crap Captain like Coniglio? A club wouldn’t want the player dictating they’ll only stay if they can be captain.
He's been the anointed successor at Essendon since he was 20. We're not offering it to him as a signing bonus, it's just always been a reality of the respect he has within the playing group at Essendon.

But I don't think any other club is really going to have it on the table – it doesn't matter if he's the best leader in the entire comp, (exceptional circumstances aside) clubs don't usually like giving the captaincy to players who have only been there for five minutes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back