Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
Brisbane Lions
View attachment 1100451

So for today's entry we're going a tiny bit more radical that yesterday's one. Right off the bat I did use El_Scorcho's updated lion, it's just such a perfect update that stays true to the Fitzroy history. As a compromise for using a different lion, I've done a few things to make the dark kit as Fitzroy-like as possible by using a redder shade of maroon, changing the cuffs to be blue and most notably bringing back Fitzroy's blue shorts. on both kits I replaced the 'BBFFC' text with the Bears and Fitzroy's monograms. The clash jumper is meant to be a homage to the Bears' final home jumper, just inverted to have a gold base. Since the Lions have included a lion on every jumper post-merger (barring heritage jumpers) I added a faint watermark of the lion as a little touch. Quite happy with what I did here trying to respect both sides of the merger as much as possible.
Just as an aside, the Bears monogram doesn't mean a whole lot to me as a kid that grew up following them as it was gone from their kits about 5 years into the existence and didn't really have any great history. The V probably means more to me than anything, as well as the koala (bear) head silhouette. So I appreciate the addition of the wierd triangle BB monogram, but the bear head is probably more iconic (for me at least).

Just as an aside, the Bears monogram doesn't mean a whole lot to me as a kid that grew up following them as it was gone from their kits about 5 years into the existence and didn't really have any great history. The V probably means more to me than anything, as well as the koala (bear) head silhouette. So I appreciate the addition of the wierd triangle BB monogram, but the bear head is probably more iconic (for me at least).
Yeah that's a good point, could definitely gone for the Bear. My line of thinking is that it was probably their equivalent of the FFC monogram and was used in the same way as the FFC logo so I just went for that.

Geelong Cats
Geelong.png

Another team using their light kit as their home which is the norm here, just simple stuff at home for the Cats and what they would ordinarily wear. I did briefly consider going for a white collar and cuffs to make it even lighter but it has a white base and the jumper is white enough honestly. The clash jumper is sort of similar to one they had at one point (but didn't wear since they haven't needed one since 2015) except I've raised the G into the hoops to create a singular device. I thought it'd look cool to have the little hoops extend around to the back a little bit to be less Carlton-like and I'm pretty happy with that, Cats fans should be happy with this one.

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
Geelong Cats
View attachment 1104559
Another team using their light kit as their home which is the norm here, just simple stuff at home for the Cats and what they would ordinarily wear. I did briefly consider going for a white collar and cuffs to make it even lighter but it has a white base and the jumper is white enough honestly. The clash jumper is sort of similar to one they had at one point (but didn't wear since they haven't needed one since 2015) except I've raised the G into the hoops to create a singular device. I thought it'd look cool to have the little hoops extend around to the back a little bit to be less Carlton-like and I'm pretty happy with that, Cats fans should be happy with this one.
nice work! loving the simplicity of these designs so far.
i reckon for the geelong one above, along the theme of re-colouring sponsors, the slightly lighter blue of the ford logo could probably be made to match the darker blue of the cats colours.

nice work! loving the simplicity of these designs so far.
i reckon for the geelong one above, along the theme of re-colouring sponsors, the slightly lighter blue of the ford logo could probably be made to match the darker blue of the cats colours.
Yeah simplicity is always key in my eyes for footy jumpers. Honestly I'm surprised that you picked up on me not recolouring the Ford logo, will definitely fix that once I get through making all of the teams, I've finished about 15 of the teams by now.

Gold Coast Suns
Gold Coast.png

Honestly, I don't love this set that much, but I absolutely wanted to overhaul the Suns set and went for a circular yoke to look like a sun, and then added the rays to really show that it's a sun. Since the away was going to be yellow I wanted to do something non-Sun related as a design element and it felt like the perfect opportunity to bring back the wave jumper which I always liked from them, but I did remake it to be a little more simpler. I do think it's an upgrade on the Suns set overall, what do we all think though?

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Gold Coast Suns
View attachment 1105339
Honestly, I don't love this set that much, but I absolutely wanted to overhaul the Suns set and went for a circular yoke to look like a sun, and then added the rays to really show that it's a sun. Since the away was going to be yellow I wanted to do something non-Sun related as a design element and it felt like the perfect opportunity to bring back the wave jumper which I always liked from them, but I did remake it to be a little more simpler. I do think it's an upgrade on the Suns set overall, what do we all think though?
Love the use of the wave. Should be a key component of the alternate kit imo.

May 25, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Gold Coast Suns
View attachment 1105339
Dunno about the home I really like the wave on the away though!!

Jun 2, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS
Gold Coast Suns
View attachment 1105339
If it's not going to be used consistently across both jumpers, don't be afraid to move the logo around on the gold jumper and give yourself some more room to play with the wave design. The combo of the 'sun' and 'water' motifs is good.

Dec 20, 2015
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies!
Gold Coast Suns
View attachment 1105339
I like them Fizzler, but I must admit the Home immediately brought Dorothy the Dinosaur to mind:
1618728686843.png

NotAMagpieBogan

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2014
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
I can’t for the life of me remember who it was, but a while ago someone posted a concept that featured a yoke-like design with sun rays in the top half. it’s best Suns concept I’ve seen, and your dark kit actually reminds of it a little. The wave design looks great.

Love the use of the wave. Should be a key component of the alternate kit imo.
Agreed, always loved how it was a unique design element as opposed to just sidepanels and a logo.
Dunno about the home I really like the wave on the away though!!
In the same boat here too, the away is easily the better kit imo.
If it's not going to be used consistently across both jumpers, don't be afraid to move the logo around on the gold jumper and give yourself some more room to play with the wave design. The combo of the 'sun' and 'water' motifs is good.
Honestly the GC logo came into the equation to fill the space there, I based it on the old wave jumpers and couldn't find a better shape/size/positioning combo so I just settled for chucking it in to fill up the space. And yeah the aim was for the kits to represent their whole name, the dark is the Sun, the light is the Coast and Gold is the colour that they both share with each other.
I like them Fizzler, but I must admit the Home immediately brought Dorothy the Dinosaur to mind:
View attachment 1105643
Hahahaha, I was definitely too young for the wiggles to remember this one but I can absolutely see what you mean here. Gotta say though I did enjoy the wiggles as a kid so it's a nice accidental nod here.
I can’t for the life of me remember who it was, but a while ago someone posted a concept that featured a yoke-like design with sun rays in the top half. it’s best Suns concept I’ve seen, and your dark kit actually reminds of it a little. The wave design looks great.
Yeah it definitely is inspired by a concept I've seen here but probably not that one. Would love to see it if anyone knows the one.

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
Gold Coast Suns
View attachment 1105339
I really don’t like the sun rays at all, I would’ve looked at something like this if you were deadset on sun rays (just the outside part)

1618733829590.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Greater Western Sydney Giants
GWS Giants.png

There are a lot of things I don't like about the Giants' 2021 rebrand, it just looks really plain and boring, and on top of that it's baffling why their mostly orange home jumper is coupled with a clash jumper that's... even more orange. I really liked the personality their old home jumper had, bit it could do with some improvements. For one, I made the back mainly charcoal with a curved orange yoke at the top to make it darker. The G is made even bigger to be the centrepiece of the design, but I've added a charcoal line separating the white and orange so there is as much contrast as possible. Finally, the collar and cuffs are charcoal to make it just that little bit darker. I feel like GWS with orange are similar to Port with teal, it pops in smaller amounts, and when we were a similar amount of years into the AFL we tried to do too much with teal. The Giants need to learn this and make classier kits, which they're on the right track judging by the derby kit. The light kit is where we can left orange be the star of the show. I've kept the G in the same spot for both kits while basing this one off the Giants' 2021 clash jumper. The stroke is made thicker than the one they currently have as the thin stroke they use looks almost accidental, l feel like a bolder one avoids this as well as just looking nicer in general. What do we think?

Jun 2, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS
View attachment 1106224
The light kit is where we can left orange be the star of the show. I've kept the G in the same spot for both kits while basing this one off the Giants' 2021 clash jumper. The stroke is made thicker than the one they currently have as the thin stroke they use looks almost accidental, l feel like a bolder one avoids this as well as just looking nicer in general. What do we think?

The white stroke diminishes the shape of the G by filling in the middle bit. And whatever you do there, the treatment of the G should be matched on the number. Stroke around both, or stroke around neither.

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
View attachment 1106224
There are a lot of things I don't like about the Giants' 2021 rebrand, it just looks really plain and boring, and on top of that it's baffling why their mostly orange home jumper is coupled with a clash jumper that's... even more orange. I really liked the personality their old home jumper had, bit it could do with some improvements. For one, I made the back mainly charcoal with a curved orange yoke at the top to make it darker. The G is made even bigger to be the centrepiece of the design, but I've added a charcoal line separating the white and orange so there is as much contrast as possible. Finally, the collar and cuffs are charcoal to make it just that little bit darker. I feel like GWS with orange are similar to Port with teal, it pops in smaller amounts, and when we were a similar amount of years into the AFL we tried to do too much with teal. The Giants need to learn this and make classier kits, which they're on the right track judging by the derby kit. The light kit is where we can left orange be the star of the show. I've kept the G in the same spot for both kits while basing this one off the Giants' 2021 clash jumper. The stroke is made thicker than the one they currently have as the thin stroke they use looks almost accidental, l feel like a bolder one avoids this as well as just looking nicer in general. What do we think?
That home kit is IT.

Only thing I'd change on the Light kit is making below the G white so it integrates with the shorts better but otherwise two fantastic kits.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
That home kit is IT.

Only thing I'd change on the Light kit is making below the G white so it integrates with the shorts better but otherwise two fantastic kits.
Interesting solution! It would work. The front part of the shirt would practically be the negative of each other.

It could go with a white top and an orange bottom, though; with orange shorts. So, both guernsey would share the same template.

Hawthorn Hawks
Hawthorn.png

The Hawks are another team with a light home jumper, I never quite understood why their set consists of a mainly yellow home jumper and an even more yellow clash jumper. The light kit I've made is pretty clash-proof but the dark kit could be worn against teams with lighter uniforms such as Geelong or Collingwood. I've made the light kit have a plain yellow back like the Hawks wore from 1975 to 2005 which encompasses 7 of their premierships which makes the kit lighter and is a nice nod to Hawthorn's successes. The dark kit is based on hawthorn's inaugural 1925 VFL Home jumper, I had to remake the monogram myself to make it a bit more modern but I've also added a faint V on the back of the jumper as a nod to the design they had in 1925 with the V extending onto the back behind the numbers. How are we feeling Hawks fans?

Hawthorn Hawks
View attachment 1107115
The Hawks are another team with a light home jumper, I never quite understood why their set consists of a mainly yellow home jumper and an even more yellow clash jumper. The light kit I've made is pretty clash-proof but the dark kit could be worn against teams with lighter uniforms such as Geelong or Collingwood. I've made the light kit have a plain yellow back like the Hawks wore from 1975 to 2005 which encompasses 7 of their premierships which makes the kit lighter and is a nice nod to Hawthorn's successes. The dark kit is based on hawthorn's inaugural 1925 VFL Home jumper, I had to remake the monogram myself to make it a bit more modern but I've also added a faint V on the back of the jumper as a nod to the design they had in 1925 with the V extending onto the back behind the numbers. How are we feeling Hawks fans?
Always loved the gold V design, looked great when they wore it as a heritage round kit and was even better when they wore it as a warm up top a few years ago.

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
Hawthorn Hawks
View attachment 1107115
I love that you've gotten rid of the light/dark jumper/shorts combo for Hawthorn, but I don't think the home kit should have white shorts when it's not a club colour.

Gold shorts would look good here.

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
Fizzler this is just about perfect mate.

I’m so over this ‘traditional’ match up dribble. It’s 2021, give each team a light uniform and a dark uniform and be done with it.

I don’t care if it’s ANZAC Day, a Showdown, a Derby, or Richmond v Carlton on opening night. Have a team in a dark strip, and a team in a light strip.

north_lad

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hawthorn Hawks
View attachment 1107115

The gold v is suuuuuch a good jumper.

Fizzler this is just about perfect mate.

I’m so over this ‘traditional’ match up dribble. It’s 2021, give each team a light uniform and a dark uniform and be done with it.

I don’t care if it’s ANZAC Day, a Showdown, a Derby, or Richmond v Carlton on opening night. Have a team in a dark strip, and a team in a light strip.
Appreciate the kind words mate, yeah it's absolutely farcical that a system like this doesn't exist in the AFL yet, it works perfectly for the NBA yet here "tradition" reigns supreme sadly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back