Underrated TV shows

Remove this Banner Ad

Life in Pieces, a US sit-com that was a bit of a rip off of Modern Family but is very funny in its own right.

Due South was another. A mountie in Chicago who never/rarely used a gun (like MacGyver)
The first two seasons were really good.

After that, it got really strange. The mountie's US police detective partner (Ray Vecchio) goes undercover, and is replaced by another detective (Stanley Kowalski) using the original partner's identity (i.e. calling himself Ray Vecchio). The writers often forgot this, so characters who had previously known Vecchio I never questioned anything when meeting Vecchio II for the first time.

I have always thought Person of Interest was pretty underrated compared to The Blacklist. Pretty similar concepts, but the former was IMO a much smarter and more engaging show despite pulling much lower numbers.
Absolutely loved that series. I watch the Blacklist as well, but I'm now watching waiting to see it end. While it is entertaining, I think it has gone on too long.

Most definitely unpopular around these parts, but King of Queens.

It was a ripper I reckon.
King of Queens is one of the best shows over the last 25 years

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Breakers (Aussie late 90's soap) - way better than Neighbours and Home & Away but only lasted 3 seasons I think.

King of Queens is one of the best shows over the last 25 years

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
It is definitely one of the better sitcoms.

A lot of the characters also don't say dumb s**t most of the time (like Friends, and I like Friends).

The three I can think of (which might be overlooked rather than underrated, but whatever):

Rev - A really charming British comedy about a new reverend at an inner-London church. It invites obvious comparisons to the Vicar Of Dibley, but it's a far better show, with some really clever skewering of church life and characters, while actually dealing with some deeper notions of faith and doubt in a really respectful way.

Counterpart - A science-fiction masterpiece that plays more like a classic Le Carre spy thriller with J.K. Simmons starring as two versions of himself trying to unite two different realities. It's absolutely criminal that it only got 2 seasons, but don't be put off watching it, as it wraps up the story really well.

High Maintenance - Starting as a web series, each episode is a stand-alone where the common link is "The Guy", a weed dealer in New York. Sometimes he's the main lead of the story and other times he's in literally a fragment of a scene, but it's a fantastic show that is at times hilarious and other times really poignant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolute slow burner.

Very good show. Great acting.

IIRC the blonde haired woman is an Aussie actress.
So is the actor who plays Daniel, I think (or at least lived in Australia for a long time).

The episode where he visits the family of his death row friend was one of the most moving episodes of TV I've ever seen. Incredible stuff.

Yes correct.
The wife of the tyre salesman, she did a very good southern accent.

Def a show worth checking out for those who haven't seen it.

Born and raised in Brisbane, Australia. Daughter of a British father. Adelaide Clemens began working as an actress on Australian television while in high school. She guest-starred in a 2006 episode of Blue Water High (2005) as Juliet, and in 2007, she starred in the children's series Pirate Islands: The Lost Treasure of Fiji (2007)
November 30, 1989 in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

So is the actor who plays Daniel, I think (or at least lived in Australia for a long time).

The episode where he visits the family of his death row friend was one of the most moving episodes of TV I've ever seen. Incredible stuff.
Wow. Either didnt know or totally forgot. Likely I forgot, as I generally read bios of actors.

Aden Young
Canadian-Australian actor

Aden Young is a Canadian-Australian actor. He is best known for his portrayal of Daniel Holden in the SundanceTV drama Rectify, for which he was twice nominated for the Critics' Choice Television Award for Best Actor in a Drama Series. He has appeared in American, Canadian and Australian productions.

Yes it does.

grandpa-abe-exit.gif

The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret

Stars David Cross. Who...? Tobias from Arrested Development.

Sort of a British comedy / American comedy cross that by combining the two was embraced by neither viewing public

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back