Footy Developments in NSW and Queensland

Remove this Banner Ad

1. For last Thur. night's game against Essendon, "NSW's audience for the Sydney Swans was up 88% on the average Thur. night audience of 2019, driven by Sydney metro up 98%". Also for this game, nthn. NSW was up 142% (?), sthn. NSW., up 31%, cf their average ratings for 2019.

National FTA & Fox total 955k. Figures don't include Kayo.

Last "Sat. match between GWS & Collingwood was 42% greater than the next best Giants' audience in NSW this season".

It should be noted that the Swans & Giants very rarely get Thur. night &/or Fri. night games: Prime Time- which always attract much larger ratings, for any programs, cf non-Prime Time Sat. & Sun. afternoon games (Swans & Giants usually time).

Sat. night, cf Thur. & Fri. night, does not attract strong ratings. Playing in Prime Time can increase the average ratings by 100%+ on a secondary channel.
Also, of course, if any program is on the main FTA channel, the ratings will also increase c.100%-200%+, cf if the same program was on a secondary FTA channel at the same time (I have always found this huge discrepancy perplexing).

2. Daily Telegraph P. Rothfield 11.4.21

In "Saint, Sinner, Shoosh" column, the headline teaser states "NRL Sweating On AFL's Dominance"
Rothfield states, in a teaser, I "wonder if the AFL's Queensland dominance was discussed".

(Scroll to 11.4, then click on "Saint, Sinner Shoosh". Behind a paywall- can anyone open, & post here please).

AFAIK, there is no metric where the AFL has "dominance" throughout all Qld., cf the NRL; & the AFL has never said it was "dominant" in Qld.

The only metric that might come close is the GR AF jnr & snr Club & school boom in comp. player nos. in SEQ. In contrast, there has been a collapse in GR jnr & snr Club & school male contact RL comp. nos. in the Gold Coast-Greater Brisbane- Sunshine Coast corridor.
In 2020, GR AF club & school jnr & snr comp. player nos. are very close (& may have surpassed) to 2020 GR club & school jnr & snr comp. contact RL nos. in the Gold Coast- Greater Brisbane (excluding Ipswich District JRL comp.)- Sunshine Coast corridor. See my links, with these details, in this Thread.

It is very likely GR AF club & school jnr & snr comp. player nos. will surpass GR club & school jnr & snr comp. contact RL nos. in the Gold Coast-Greater Brisbane (
including the Ipswich District JRL comp.)- Sunshine Coast corridor in the next few years.
Very interesting that AFL NSW actually came out and made comments about the TV Viewership on the 2 matches. They are actually up there on the ground so as to speak and for them to comment at all is unusual. Would like to see their feedback they get from their development guys in their respective zones.
Is it another false dawn because our game has had plenty of them.

1. nrl.com.au T. Balym 13.4.21

Balym said

"Part of the NRL's growth strategy for Qld. is the addition of a 2nd Brisbane- based team".
(Both V'landys & NRL CEO Abdo have said many times a major reason the NRL should introduce Brisbane 2 is to increase "participation" in SEQ. The NRL have abrogated any desires or plans to have significant RL growth in Perth/other AF heartland areas).

A. Abdo wants the Magic Round to remain in Qld., to bring more NRL games to Qld., which will help "grow RL in Qld.".

Abdo also said

"If we don't invest in participation in our core markets, the game will lose relevance (my emphases)"

Further comments from NRL executives specifically mentioning "participation", & the need to increase it in their heartlands.
This reflects their concerns on the severe decline in male GR contact RL nos. in their heartlands.

2. "For the first time ever, QAFL & Bond University QAFLW games can be watched...right around Australia" on FTA.

Qld. State League's manager M. Bialowski said

"Not only will it elevate the profile of our Qld. State Leagues...& hopefully attract more players to our great competitions".

Qld. Diversity Coordinator P. Yagmoor said these FTA games will "...continue to grow our comps. here in Qld".

Having FTA weekly (always broadcast 10am Sundays) men's & women's Qld.'s premier State League AF matches broadcast for the first time in Qld., & throughout Australia, will boost GR AF nos. in Qld., & elsewhere.

Last edited:
1. nrl.com.au T. Balym 13.4.21

Balym said

"Part of the NRL's growth strategy for Qld. is the addition of a 2nd Brisbane- based team".
(Both V'landys & NRL CEO Abdo have said many times a major reason the NRL should introduce Brisbane 2 is to increase "participation" in SEQ. The NRL have abrograted any plans to have significant RL growth in Perth/other AF heartland areas)).

A. Abdo wants the Magic Round to remain in Qld., to bring more NRL games to Qld., which will help grow RL in Qld.

Abdo also said

"If we don't invest in participation in our core markets, the game will lose relevance (my emphases)"

Further comments from NRL executives specifically mentioning "participation", & the need to increase it in their heartlands.
This reflects their concerns on the decline in male GR contact RL nos. in their heartlands.

2. "For the first time ever, QAFL & Bond University QAFLW games can be watched...right around Australia".

Qld. State League's manager M. Bialowski said

"Not only will it elevate the profile of our Qld. State Leagues...& hopefully attract more players to our great competitions".

Having FTA weekly men's & women's Qld. State League AF matches broadcast in Qld., & throughout Australia, will boost GR AF nos. in Qld., & elsewhere.

Yeah, but it'll kill channel 7's TV ratings

Very interesting that AFL NSW actually came out and made comments about the TV Viewership on the 2 matches. They are actually up there on the ground so as to speak and for them to comment at all is unusual. Would like to see their feedback they get from their development guys in their respective zones.
Is it another false dawn because our game has had plenty of them.
We were shopping at local Westfields Whitfords centre in Perth the other day and very prominent in the walkthrough areas were well lit signs in the middle of same promoting the upcoming Sydney AFL Derby.
Would that be in every Westfields around the country. Is this something new for the future.

1. The new 22 team VFL East Coast comp. (Aust.'s. most skilled 2nd tier comp.), which will include Aspley (nthn. Brisbane), Southport (Gold Coast), Swans, GWS, Brisbane & Gold Coast Reserves, will start in 2021.
(And Preston Bullants return, in their traditional red jumper, with a bullant on it- yeah! In the VFA heyday when they were a power, Preston would sometimes attract a very boisterous 8k-10K crowd at Cramer St, Oval).

It will be broadcast widely in NSW, ACT, & Qld. also on FTA, Foxtel, Kayo, & Kayo freebies. This increased exposure for such high level AF in NSW, Qld, & ACT will increase GR AF growth in those areas.

A new era – four Queensland clubs part of the new look VFL
DSC_7417-840x450.jpg

Posted on Friday, 16th April, 2021
By AFL Media.
The 2021 VFL Premiership Season kicks off tonight with four Queensland teams joining the expanded 22-team competition.
It’s a new era for the league, with the AFL announcing overnight it had reached an agreement on a historic broadcast deal with the Seven Network, Foxtel and Kayo.
With these agreements, the AFL has expanded its coverage of the VFL to reach a broader audience, taking it into the homes of more football fans than ever before.
Seven will broadcast the VFL’s match of the day live and free on Sundays during 2021, and fans will also be able to live-stream it via Seven’s market-leading BVOD platform, 7plus. The match will be a central part of a massive day of footy on Seven that also includes Sunday Footy Fest hosted by Abbey Gelmi and the Sunday afternoon AFL blockbuster.
Kayo will broadcast at least two additional matches live every round on Kayo Freebies (no paywall) with Kayo to broadcast three matches in each of the first two rounds to kick-off the season.
2021 will see the VFL hit the airwaves of Fox Footy with a Thursday night match live on Fox Footy in the weeks when there is no AFL Thursday night game – simulcast on Kayo, Foxtel Go, Foxtel Now.
VFL Finals Series matches will be broadcast by Seven, Foxtel and Kayo.
Broadcast will begin this Saturday with the Sydney Swans v GWS GIANTS clash at Lakeside Oval in Sydney and Brisbane v Essendon at Moreton Bay Sports Complex in Brisbane. Both games are live and free on Kayo Freebies from 12.00pm.
Sunday’s game between Premiership fancies Box Hill Hawks and Casey Demons will be shown live and free from 12.00pm on Channel 7 and 7plus, followed by the Hawthorn and Melbourne AFL clash at the MCG on Channel 7 and Seven mate from 3pm.

The AFL's T. Salter said

"We are incredibly fortunate to have broadcast partners who share our commitment to expanding the game, and the new broadcast offering to state league competitions is a real boost for the VFL across Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland.”

2. Until 1988, there had been only 38 Queensland-born or raised players in the VFL (the first, E. Dornau, began in 1948 at South Melb.). In 2021, the tally in the VFL/AFL has risen to 188, with W. Martyn's selection for Richmond.

Further evidence of the strong growth of AF in Qld. since Brisbane joined the AFL in 1987.

Last edited:
After reading that, i'd have to ask why is the AFL's focus on playing numbers translating into interest into watching the game, but soccer's dominance in that area (in NSW anyway) having virtually no relationship at all?

The AFL will generally promote ANY good news it has at the drop of a hat to anyone who will listen or report it.

Soccer doesnt have ANY focus in this country - clubs have been fighting with the FFA for way too long - and the A-league is beset by promotional issues, quality issues and the fact that its not in the top leagues for its code in the world.

The AFL has been relatively blessed with the Commission in this regard - its been stable as hell since 1993. The clubs generally go along with the Commission as a whole, there hasnt been a Superleague or years of fighting over the "independent commission" makeup like the ARL/NRL, the league wasnt abandoned and reset entirely like the NSL, and then poorly managed/beset by infighting between clubs and governing bodies for a decade like the A-league, and it doesnt suffer from a chronic lack of exposure like Union.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL will generally promote ANY good news it has at the drop of a hat to anyone who will listen or report it.

Soccer doesnt have ANY focus in this country - clubs have been fighting with the FFA for way too long - and the A-league is beset by promotional issues, quality issues and the fact that its not in the top leagues for its code in the world.

The AFL has been relatively blessed with the Commission in this regard - its been stable as hell since 1993. The clubs generally go along with the Commission as a whole, there hasnt been a Superleague or years of fighting over the "independent commission" makeup like the ARL/NRL, the league wasnt abandoned and reset entirely like the NSL, and then poorly managed/beset by infighting between clubs and governing bodies for a decade like the A-league, and it doesnt suffer from a chronic lack of exposure like Union.

Yeah but there's more to it than that. Soccer has never had mass appeal in this country, yet has had solid participation numbers since day dot. Basketball is in a similar position - good playing numbers but not much interest in watching the professional game. You can't put all that down to poor management by the governing body.

In the end i'm just not sure there's that strong a link between playing numbers an watching the game. It certainly doesn' t hurt, but I don't think you can draw the conclusion that more kids playing will automatically translate into more people watching in 20 years.

Yeah but there's more to it than that. Soccer has never had mass appeal in this country, yet has had solid participation numbers since day dot. Basketball is in a similar position - good playing numbers but not much interest in watching the professional game. You can't put all that down to poor management by the governing body.

In the end i'm just not sure there's that strong a link between playing numbers an watching the game. It certainly doesn' t hurt, but I don't think you can draw the conclusion that more kids playing will automatically translate into more people watching in 20 years.

Those kids that play soccer in australia follow the epl though, i know a few that have no interest in a league but will wake up 3am on a school night to watch chelsea every week. I somewhat agree with you, but i think the difference is the australian league of those two sports is well down the pecking order, afl you can only get in one place and it's the elite competition of the sport so it's more likely to translate to viewers.

i think the link here is sending out actual players and former players to schools and clinics, and giving memberships to auskickers and not charging for kids and under 15s and everything else that is attached to the participation stuff. its not just the participation itself. its something not quite replicated by other sports here.

After reading that, i'd have to ask why is the AFL's focus on playing numbers translating into interest into watching the game, but soccer's dominance in that area (in NSW anyway) having virtually no relationship at all?
Soccer is quite boring unless your quite invested in the result. Footy is more fun to watch as a neutral. So soccer needs committed fans to get people to watch, but if their not watching, how do they become committed fans?

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Soccer is quite boring unless your quite invested in the result. Footy is more fun to watch as a neutral. So soccer needs committed fans to get people to watch, but if their not watching, how do they become committed fans?

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Billions around world would say otherwise.
Media coverage favours afl in Australia, but even then you're not seeing massive TV numbers in Sydney.

The issue for football is that the biggest leagues are overseas.

Where as AFL and NRL are the biggest leagues for the respective sports and are local.

You can play on the weekend then go watch the best of the best of the sport live.

The issue for football is that the biggest leagues are overseas.

Where as AFL and NRL are the biggest leagues for the respective sports and are local.

You can play on the weekend then go watch the best of the best of the sport live.

Hasn't hurt Chinese basketball, South American soccer, big bash cricket...

Chinese basketball and South American soccer have very little to do with how those sports are traveling here against heavily supported professional sports like Cricket, Rugby League and AFL

Doesn't matter - to say a league needs to be best in world to have widespread support I'd false

Doesn't matter - to say a league needs to be best in world to have widespread support I'd false

is it really though? Context is everything here.

In Australia its true - the Aleague suffers because people would rather follow the EPL and european leagues, likewise the NBL and the NBA. The NRL and the AFL are the peak of their craft and every piece of evidence shows that they dominate the winter period.

* knows about china and south america, and its not relevant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back