Game Day AFLW 2021 Grand Final: Adelaide v Brisbane - Sat April 17 at Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Brisbane deserved to win. They really outplayed us for large parts of the game.
They had a clear game plan - to pressure the ball, to zone off in our F50 and then to slingshot at the other end. It worked a treat and we couldn't/didn't adjust at all.
Yes the got a bit lucky with some of their goals, but they really deserved the win.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Brisbane deserved to win. They really outplayed us for large parts of the game.
They had a clear game plan - to pressure the ball, to zone off in our F50 and then to slingshot at the other end. It worked a treat and we couldn't/didn't adjust at all.
Yes the got a bit lucky with some of their goals, but they really deserved the win.
Pretty easy if the inside 50 kicks were just bomb kicks.

Aug 19, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
after 5 seasons, this is still frustratingly difficult to watch, cant pick the ball up off the ground, cant kick to a target, blindly bombing the ball forward at every opportunity, cant take a mark to save their lives.....the game still needs alot more improvement...on the other hand brisbane were hitting targets today and taking marks so maybe it just wasn't our day....i dont follow womens football every week but geez hair pulling stuff...

Firewalker

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
Apr 20, 2009
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Worry for Clarke that was the exact same way they got beaten consistently in 2020, midfield numbers outside the contest, midfield spread & speed on transition and not being able to get setup behind the ball.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Did someone use our forward strategy from 2020* of bombing the ball inside 50 whereas Brisbane's goal were from the rebound?
We had no composure all day. Half the battle is getting the ball. Using it efficiently is the other half. The disappointing part is that we were clearly not at our best and played dumb football. A learning experience. Well done Lions.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
We had no composure all day. Half the battle is getting the ball. Using it efficiently is the other half. The disappointing part is that we were clearly not at our best and played dumb football. A learning experience. Well done Lions.
I don't recall us playing like this all season, if they we were going to play like this our forward weren't even playing close to their defender in the 1st half so they continue got intercepting mark and then got all their goal from the rebound.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 4, 2014
Top End of Aussie
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
after 5 seasons, this is still frustratingly difficult to watch, cant pick the ball up off the ground, cant kick to a target, blindly bombing the ball forward at every opportunity, cant take a mark to save their lives.....the game still needs alot more improvement...on the other hand brisbane were hitting targets today and taking marks so maybe it just wasn't our day....i dont follow womens football every week but geez hair pulling stuff...
Was this your first AFLW you watched ?
Hope you contributed at buying a AFLW membership to support women or included in your Men’s membership +

This season has seen much less of that, but of course with finals, if you lose your cool, you panic. We see it in men’s finals too (not as bad, obviously). But some of our games we showed terrific skills, great run and carry and fierce tackling. Today wasn’t one of those days.

Firewalker

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
Apr 20, 2009
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Scheer not making an appearance in the midfield till the last quarter was cruddy too and Mules when it became obvious she couldn’t get near it not being used to shut down one of Anderson or O’Dwyer after it became obvious they were the extra number playing loose around contests was also poor coaching/game awareness.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Comprehensively beaten today, all over the ground and all four quarters. At least Brisbane is a team I can respect, to do what they've done after their marquee players walked out and they got raided by expansion clubs is incredible.

Time to make some hard decisions in the off season and finish the job off in 2022. After all, we only win every second premiership :p

Feb 4, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies - SNAFL
I’m really impressed with this GF. The girls game has improved a lot in such a short time. Well done to Brisbane, well deserved! Do we think the concussion rule or a bigger break between the prelim and the GF will come under review? Let me say that I am relieved the AFL is taking concussion seriously, because a brain injury is still a brain injury no matter how small and the brain doesn’t have the ability to repair itself like a bone break can!

Best 22 for 2022

B Cox - Allan
HB Thompson - Randall - Gore
C Jones - Scheer - Varnhagen
HF Martin - Gould - Charlton
F Pointer - Woodland
R McKinnon? - Hatchard - Marinoff

I Button - Allen - NEW PLAYERS

McKinnon in to the 1st ruck spot, and three new players on the bench. That could be draftees or players already in the squad like Newman and Munyard. However it's a no from me on Biddell, Forth, Sedunary and Whiteley

Firewalker

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
Apr 20, 2009
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Best 22 for 2022

B Cox - Allan
HB Thompson - Randall - Gore
C Jones - Scheer - Varnhagen
HF Martin - Gould - Charlton
F Pointer - Woodland
R McKinnon? - Hatchard - Marinoff

I Button - Allen - NEW PLAYERS

McKinnon in to the 1st ruck spot, and three new players on the bench. That could be draftees or players already in the squad like Newman and Munyard. However it's a no from me on Biddell, Forth, Sedunary and Whiteley

Yes to telling converts Metcalfe and Gould to make way for footballers, McKinnon and Prowse to lead that division. A tall althletic defender magically from somewhere to replace Rajcic, my thoughts on how Munyard and Newman given their weapons should’ve already been in that team but don’t fit Clarke’s mantra of usually just rewarding blue-collar triers, let’s hope Newman can escape the cut and the likes of Sedunary, Whiteley, Forth Considine ect. are the ones that make way.

If there was an actual proper trade remuneration scheme in AFLW I would also listen to offers for Ponter.

Yes to telling converts Metcalfe and Gould to make way for footballers, McKinnon and Prowse to lead that division. A tall althletic defender magically from somewhere to replace Rajcic, my thoughts on how Munyard and Newman given their weapons should’ve already been in that team but don’t fit Clarke’s mantra of usually just rewarding blue-collar triers, let’s hope Newman can escape the cut and the likes of Sedunary, Whiteley, Forth Considine ect. are the ones that make way.

If there was an actual proper trade remuneration scheme in AFLW I would also listen to offers for Ponter.

Reckon Ponter struggled this season from her groin (?) complaint. Wouldn't trade her, but needs a strong fitness program

Jun 8, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Not being nasty. But after five seasons we've got one side kicking 3.2 on a perfect day. Amidst the hype, that is pretty glaring. Are we going to have to accept those low scores?, Will the players improve? Or are the grounds just honestly too big?

Firewalker

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
Apr 20, 2009
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Reckon Ponter struggled this season from her groin (?) complaint. Wouldn't trade her, but needs a strong fitness program
She struggled before that issue, it gets to the point where is the good flashy bits and finishing worth the lulls, it usually would be given the lack of good finishers around in AFLW but then you’ve got to deal with the wanting to live in the NT, not returning fit and the too hard basket certainly starts to build up.

You’d only let her go if you could get a top, top player in return which just doesn’t happen in AFLW right now, though given the new NT connection with the Gold Coast I’d only try to use her if you could get a Kalinda Howarth or Lauren Bella out of Queensland but that’s fantasy really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back