Preview AFLW GRAND FINAL: Brisbane Lions v Adelaide Crows, Sat Apr 17, 2pm

Who were your five best players against Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Inside 50s: 44-24 and we won?

We created a handful of genuine scoring chances and were clinical with our finishing.

Plenty of I50 stats for the Crows but as pointed out in the commentary, a lot of them were either shallow entries or poorly directed.

The rest of the time our brilliant defensive structure either smothered them or mopped up the "dirty" loose ball.

The only goal they scored after early in the second quarter was from that laughably soft 50 at the beginning of the last.The TV commentary team were genuinely baffled by that call. Usually commentators will engage in a justification exercise for a dicey call but not this time. An absolute stinker that thankfully didn't impact on the result.

I’m so proud of them.

The product of 5 years of ignoring the outside noise, putting their heads down and developing as a team.

I clearly recall a pre-season analysis on SEN where the Kangaroos were dubbed the "Superteam" and likely to win the flag hands down in a canter.

Only credible threats were considered to be Collingwood, Adelaide and Melbourne.

Brisbane Lions????

Nah......not enough "Star" power or player depth.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Absolutely rapt for the Lionesses, definitely deserved it and played a great game to get it done. Would this have been the most challenging grand final we have played in? Seem to recall going in as favourites or close to it for the other two. A real backs against the wall team!

Holy s**t what a win! Don't think anyone let the side down at all but the defence was incredible. Lutkins deserved best on field but I thought keenen had an unbelievable performance as well- deserves all the praise.

Gotta say those goals to woosh and hodder were something else. God that was exciting. And it was great to see a small bur vocal group of lions supporters at the ground! I'd guess only 200-300 but the friends and family behind the goal square really made themselves heard!

Absolutely incredible to see another lions premiership. Now to buy all the merch!

Wdit: also tahlia bickies deserves a lot of credit for her ruck work today. The crows fans around me were getting extremely frustrated by the inability of their rucks to give good service to their mids - she played such a class game

WOW! That was wonderful! I picked us to win by 10points but I still couldn't watch. I put on my Lucky Lions medallion, my Lucky 1997 Lions polo shirt, and last but not least my Lucky leopard skin undies (for playing poker)! Still couldn't watch as I felt ill! These Lioness's are Bloody Magnificent!! I watched the end of channel 7's coverage after the foxtel coverage finished Early!!! and am waiting for the replay. One more thing! Please no more retirements! How can you wear your jumper with the Gold (oooooooh) AFL logo into first match nek year if you aren't there? You played well and we will really miss Em and Loz! GO LIONESS'S!!!! Foundation Members K and L

Done very well picking women from other sports; Svarc, Hodder, O'Dwyer, Bodey, etc.

An overall Team win that played pressure footy for the four quarters.
Even though it was a team effort i was so glad a defender got BOG
With inside 50 favoring the Crows to the tune of 44 to 24 defenders were under all sorts of pressure.
Sure those entries may have been either shallow or misdirected but the AFLW is a territory game and you do not want the ball in that area for long periods of time. One mistake or free kick can make a difference especially in a low scoring game
Also i doubt any Grand Final will be won again by a team that did not take one mark inside 50. Adelaide 5 to Lions 0.
Talk about kicking straight 6 goal 2 behinds including a poster.
Well done ladies enjoy the moment they don't come around often

Would this have been the most challenging grand final we have played in?
My wife said she put down a cheeky $25 on us yesterday, even then we were outside odds at $2.30.

Checked it again about half way through the final quarter and the Crows were $9, we were $1.05.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a great win that is good for the soul of our club. Genuine efforts by the whole team and supported so well by the coaching staff and supporters.

The AFL need to be congratulated for deciding 5 years ago to believe in women’s footy and just start. There will be so many young girls tonight that will be inspired by this season.
Those women today put in a great show and I’m rapt for them

Well done - the players were harder and the coaches were far smarter, and now you’re an AFLW premiership team

Confirmation you’re one of the three elite teams in the comp 😉

just realized, you hosted us and lost the first one, then we hosted you and lost the most recent...

I sense a rivalry

Great work girls ! Fantastic stuff. Good to hear the coach have a sly dig at those players who knocked off to other clubs

who needs em !!

Just got home from the match after a long day out at the game, and I am still absolutely buzzing from the match I have just saw today.

I will be the first to admit that I have never been to a Women's AFL match before but the more the match went on, I got more and more passionate supporting the girls and stayed to watch the whole medal/trophy presentation. I can honestly say that today's match was one of the best matches I have watched live for in Australian Rules Football history, for both male and female leagues.

Even though the score-line was pretty low compared to the men's (shorter quarters, etc), I can definitely see the women's league becoming the number 1 sporting code for female athletes in Australia in the not so distant future, given the amount of teams the league operates with already (future expansion) and the improvement of skill level as a result by the players/clubs which will only improve the broadcasting/crowd/participation ratings in the future for females in the Women's AFL.

Just some general notes/thoughts of the match that I thought of while watching it at the ground live:
  • Our defence was really strong structurally throughout the match and pretty much won us the game IMO given the amount of times the Crows were trying to find a mark inside their F50 but couldn't find a clear option as a result, with our ladies in defence also knowing when to play the fast movement and when to slow down play. Well done to Kate Lutkins in particular for winning the BOG medal as well.
  • Our whole midfield definitely smashed the Crows midfield in the premiership quarter (3rd Quarter) and we looked like we were more determined to win unlike the Crows, in which they thought the result would come to them, which showed when we kicked 3 goals to nil in that quarter to set up the victory today.
  • Even though our forward line didn't kick a very high score today compared to other weeks, we still kicked unbelievably accurately today by kicking 100% of shots on goal until those final 2 behinds late in the match. We probably would have lost the match today if we kicked poorly IMO so luckily we had our kicking shoes on today and our midfield was about to find space for our forwards to roam around inside the F50 even though we took 0 marks inside of our I50 which is unbelievable given the result that just occurred.
  • Talking about having our kicking shoes on today, we kicked some BLOODY beautiful goals today from the chances/space we had today, with my favourite having to be Hodder 2nd goal in the 2nd quarter with a soccer kick in the air on the angle, while there was pressure from the Crows defender. Definitely going to be a future star of the competition and she reminds me a little bit of how Charlie Cameron plays, which is never a bad thing 😍
  • The standard of umpiring for both teams was VERY VERY POOR for the whole match and both teams were unlucky not to score another goal or two due to some questionable decisions by the umpires over the HTB ruling and all that. The rules over the HTB need a massive overhaul in both leagues as it just becoming a mess to officiate these days with so much. Both supporter fan-bases were mighty pissed over the decisions that some of those umpires decided on so there wasn't a bias for one team and not the other, I believe while watching it.
  • There was a lot more Lions supporters at the match then I expected there was to be given the fact I was the only Lions supporter I could see on the train getting there, which is always a good thing for our improvement as a club in general. I would probably say there was about 4,000-5,000 Lions supporters there out of the 23,000 crowd attendance, which was surprising given the COVID situation as well with interstate travel around the country.
All in all, the match was such an awesome experience and our women definitely deserved the win over the Crows as we looked a lot more determined to win the match compared to the Crows, especially throughout the 2nd half in particular and I am so over the moon for the club's achievements given the season they had with home matches in Victoria for example. It felt like the girls were giving no chance of winning this season, yet somehow made the impossible, possible in this day & age we live in 😍

Massive praises should also be for Starcevich and the other coaches as well, given they were able to rebuild a list and playing culture (on-field/off-field) as quick as a blink of a eye after the expansion clubs raided all of our top players during that 2018-2019 period and were able to find excellent athletes not just at the trade/draft table, but also from other sports such as Courtney Hodder from Rugby Union as an example in such a quick time-frame. Should definitely prove to supporters that there no "I" in a team and that it takes a whole team effort to win "big" matches on a consistently basis, not just one or two "GREAT" players in the lineup that could win it on their boot.

Sounds crazy to say so soon but this Grand Final win by the club could be the beginning of something special for the club. The match definitely reminded me of the 2001 Grand Final, in which the men's were underdogs and won against the hot-favourites Essendon at their home ground and the aftermath that occurred as a result.

Maybe we might be seeing a 21,22,23 three peat in the making for the women given the fact it was 20 years ago our men's Lions won in 01,02,03
:trophy: :trophy: :trophy:

Regardless of what happens in the future now though, I can happily say to my son or daughter in the future that I was there watching live at the ground, when the Lions women won their first ever premiership in the AFLW and hopefully this is just the start of something special for the club :cool:

Edit: Thank-you for all the people who have liked my post as well :)

Last edited:

Some premierships press conference work from Starcevich and Lutkins.

Most interesting is the news that Lutkins did her plantar fascia a month ago, and has played through the pain ever since.

I hope those Suns players who had the chance to stick with the Lions but defected are left feeling a slight sting today seeing this team of loyal soldiers withstand that siege. Real culture seperates teams. Had the opportunity to be a part of this greatness but they now get to enjoy a winless season.

gracious in defeat, humble in victory..................

WOW! That was wonderful! I picked us to win by 10points but I still couldn't watch. I put on my Lucky Lions medallion, my Lucky 1997 Lions polo shirt, and last but not least my Lucky leopard skin undies (for playing poker)! Still couldn't watch as I felt ill! These Lioness's are Bloody Magnificent!! I watched the end of channel 7's coverage after the foxtel coverage finished Early!!! and am waiting for the replay. One more thing! Please no more retirements! How can you wear your jumper with the Gold (oooooooh) AFL logo into first match nek year if you aren't there? You played well and we will really miss Em and Loz! GO LIONESS'S!!!! Foundation Members K and L
Just a little too much information there lol

I remember someone, can't think of her name, going to a Vic Club because they were apparently much more professional.....

Last edited:
Back