Preview Changes: R5 2021 vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Was really concerning during Nicks mid week presser when he said he would prefer to go in unchanged every week if he could for the sake of continuity. That’s not a mindset you should have for a club in our position.
Every coach would love to go in unchanged every week.

Well I’m guessing at least one would’ve played sanfl, but what else can we do with the stupid rule imposed on us?

That rule only applies if the AFL game is before the SANFL, not vice versa. That's also only one player.

Lynch nor Frampton should be in the side ahead of almost any younger player on the list. They offer very little (Lynch) and in Framptons case, well the less said the better.
Lynch until last week was one of the more influential players league wide for score involvements

What changes did people want this week? Frampton is the one I wanted out and another poor game tomorrow after Berg’s game will see him out. Kelly? Has been mostly decent this year and seems highly rated internally; heck, Worrell was raving about him last year as a mentor.

What other changes need to be made? Rowe is doing just enough, but Newchurch keeps his sanfl form up and that change will happen soon enough. I think Hamill could do with a rest soon, seems to be getting banged up a lot. As a first year mid playing a highly contested role, Berry will likely be managed soon and Pedlar will get a debut.
Frampton out for RT
Rowe out - Fogarty plays roving forward down one flank (Lynch the other) and use McAdam and Murphy as smalls
Hately into the midfield replacing Fogarty

I could make a case for McAdam to be rested and keep Rowe - McAdam plays more as a tall ie marking etc that Fogarty could play that

It does feel like the club have stopped any rebuild momentum and declared the rebuild over as finals are in range now - pure speculation on my part but the messaging has changed

Frampton out for RT
Rowe out - Fogarty plays roving forward down one flank (Lynch the other) and use McAdam and Murphy as smalls
Hately into the midfield replacing Fogarty

I could make a case for McAdam to be rested and keep Rowe - McAdam plays more as a tall ie marking etc that Fogarty could play that

It does feel like the club have stopped any rebuild momentum and declared the rebuild over as finals are in range now - pure speculation on my part but the messaging has changed
Rowe out is pretty stiff. Frampton is the one selection I think we can all agree on, I’m perplexed as to how he survived after his game last week.

Lot of people focusing on ‘change for the sake of change’ here

I would’ve got Frampton out of the side ASAP, and Lynch IMO needs a spell (although this is probably not as pressing as Frampton going out), but other than that no-one really needed dropping after last week. The second and third quarters were just a poor performance from the whole squad, so hard to put a blame on anyone in particular (and obviously you can’t dump a quarter of the team). Guys like Kelly/Rowe/McHenry were never going to get flat-out dropped

Hately getting a full game would be nice too, but they seem to be easing him into the side. Is it horrible of me to hope for an injury? 😬

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not surprising with a bunch of young defenders back there.

Nope and a midfield which has had injuries. Still if there is ever a week Freos defensive issues are negated, this is it.

I'm concerned about us playing five players under an injury cloud. It was the perfect opportunity to rest some of these players.

I would have looked to replace Frampton because he sucks.

I would have increased our height in defense.

I would have added Hately to the midfield given Fremantle's inside brigade

This is the one for me.
There is absolutely no reason what so ever this year to be playing injured players.
Rest them and let them recover and give a new bloke a go to gain some experience.
The frustrating part is it seems obvious but it doesn't happen

Lot of people focusing on ‘change for the sake of change’ here

I would’ve got Frampton out of the side ASAP, and Lynch IMO needs a spell (although this is probably not as pressing as Frampton going out), but other than that no-one really needed dropping after last week. The second and third quarters were just a poor performance from the whole squad, so hard to put a blame on anyone in particular (and obviously you can’t dump a quarter of the team). Guys like Kelly/Rowe/McHenry were never going to get flat-out dropped

Hately getting a full game would be nice too, but they seem to be easing him into the side. Is it horrible of me to hope for an injury? 😬

It’s not a case of change for the sake of change, it’s a case of change for the sake of development. We seem to have lost sight of the long term for the cheap thrill of a couple of wins in the short term.

Was really concerning during Nicks mid week presser when he said he would prefer to go in unchanged every week if he could for the sake of continuity. That’s not a mindset you should have for a club in our position.
Sounds like Nicksy is taking his Don Pyke impersonation very seriously. I hope he realises Pyke got sacked in the end when he wouldn't play kids.

After comments like these it's no wonder our sanfl side got thumped today. What's the point in busting a gut. No coach should ever say they would never like to change a side. If that's true that's a disturbing thing to say and he needs someone higher up to have a chat with him. By saying "you would never like to change a side" this is the height of arrogance that you can predict the future and know that a certain player will be better than another player for the next 9-12 months.

Last edited:
It’s not a case of change for the sake of change, it’s a case of change for the sake of development. We seem to have lost sight of the long term for the cheap thrill of a couple of wins in the short term.
Couple of points:

1) I'm seeing people suggesting dropping the likes of Rowe and McHenry - i.e. young players who need developing. Dropping them after IMO not yet having enough of a case to put them down to the twos is change for the sake of change
2) It's incorrect to say we're not dropping guys like Frampton and Kelly in order to get a couple of short-term wins. In reality, they're bottom end of the 22 players, and replacing them with younger guys is not going to be the difference between how much we win or lose by in the coming games. Now that doesn't change the fact that Frampton's likely hit his ceiling and we should get games into either RT or Himmelberg instead (hence why I'm really confused why we didn't drop Frampton), but come on, we haven't lost complete sight of the long term

Remove this Banner Ad

Back