Draft Expert Davo-27's 2021 u18 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for the answer. Are there any standout nature agers putting their hands up in the VFL so far I wonder? Could be some decent talent available in the MSD this year due to covid

i dont watch the second tier comps very much except the odd Box Hill game so i dont know sorry.

i believe all the 19 year olds are available for the mid season draft, 3 that i like are Dylan Thomas an exciting small forward playing for Oakleigh, Luis D'Angelo an exciting midfielder for Gippsland Power and Jacob Edwards a ruckman for Sandringham Dragons.

another 1 who could be an option is Luke Cleary playing for Sandringham Dragons

theres a few others who could put their hands up if they start playing top tier footy.

Who I have just noticed is on the pies vfl development list. Half our development list seems to be chargers lol Not really surprising given the connection the pies have with the club. Someone I'll keep an eye out

Top 35 - update (still incomplete, work in progress)

1. Jason Horne
2. Nick Daicos - Coll F/S
3. Tyler Sonsie
4. Jacob Van Rooyen
5. Josh Rachele
6. Matthew Johnson
7. Matthew Roberts
8. Campbell Chesser
9. Ned Long
10. Josh Sinn
11. Ben Hobbs
12. Joshua Brown
13. Sam Banks
14. Morgan Ferres
15. Neil Erasmus
16. Rhett Bazzo
17. Finn Callaghan
18. Chance Doultree
19. Lewis Rayson
20. Cooper Hamilton
21. Luis D'Angelo
22. Dylan Thomas
23. Jake Soligo
24. Josh Fahey
25. Darcy Wilmot
26. Lachlan Rankin
27. Arlo Draper
28. Jacob Edwards
29. Blake Scott - WB NGA
30. Cooper Beecken
31. Shay Linke
32. Yousef Dib - Coll NGA
33. Josh Goater
34. Judson Clarke
35. Max Chipper

You don’t rate Jack Williams? He’s in the National academy and has been dominating WAFL colts. Might need to cast an eye on him. His Colts game (East Freo V Subi) was telecast on The West (subscription only) and had Williams, Josh Browne, Erasmus, Matty Johnson plus Warner and Woewodin all playing.

i believe all the 19 year olds are available for the mid season draft, 3 that i like are Dylan Thomas an exciting small forward playing for Oakleigh, Luis D'Angelo an exciting midfielder for Gippsland Power and Jacob Edwards a ruckman for Sandringham Dragons.

another 1 who could be an option is Luke Cleary playing for Sandringham Dragons

theres a few others who could put their hands up if they start playing top tier footy.
Stiff on Doultree not to get a mention, he's in your top 20

Top 35 - April 12 Update
Top 35 - update - 12th April with Heights/Weights (still incomplete, work in progress)

1. Jason Horne - Sth Adel - 184cm 78kg
2. Nick Daicos - Coll F/S - Oakleigh -183cm 72kg
3. Tyler Sonsie - Eastern - 181cm 76kg
4. Jacob Van Rooyen - Claremont - 194cm 88kg
5. Josh Rachele - Murray - 180cm 78kg
6. Matthew Johnson - Subiaco - 191cm 80kg
7. Matthew Roberts - Sth Adel - 183cm 81kg
8. Campbell Chesser - Sandringham - 186cm 83kg
9. Ned Long - Northern - 192cm 88kg
10. Josh Sinn - Sandringham - 186cm 72kg
11. Ben Hobbs - GWV - 183cm 80kg
12. Joshua Browne - East Frem - 185cm 77kg
13. Sam Banks - Tasmania - 187cm 73kg
14. Morgan Ferres - Sturt - 190cm 80kg
15. Neil Erasmus - Subiaco - 188cm 80kg
16. Rhett Bazzo - Swan Dist - 195cm 81kg
17. Finn Callaghan - Sandringham - 189cm 82kg
18. Chance Doultree - Gippsland - 183cm 74kg (19)
19. Lewis Rayson - Glenlg - 181cm 64kg
20. Cooper Hamilton - 182cm 86kg - Bendigo
21. Luis D'Angelo - Gippsland - 184cm 85kg (19)
22. Dylan Thomas - Oakleigh - 187cm 77kg (19)
23. Jake Soligo - Eastern - 179cm 79kg
24. Josh Fahey - GWS A - 186cm 76kg
25. Darcy Wilmot - Northern - 182cm 70kg
26. Lachlan Rankin - Oakleigh - 182cm 68kg
27. Arlo Draper - Sth Adel - 185cm 74kg
28. Jacob Edwards - Sandringham - 202cm 83kg (19)
29. Blake Scott - WB NGA - GWV - 180cm 70kg
30. Cooper Beecken - Glenlg - 190cm 73kg
31. Shay Linke - Central Dist - 188cm 75kg
32. Yousef Dib - Coll NGA - Oakleigh - 174cm 76kg
33. Josh Goater - Calder - 190cm 79kg
34. Judson Clarke - Dandenong - 179cm 69kg
35. Max Chipper - Swan Dist - 176cm 74kg

Last edited:
You don’t rate Jack Williams? He’s in the National academy and has been dominating WAFL colts. Might need to cast an eye on him. His Colts game (East Freo V Subi) was telecast on The West (subscription only) and had Williams, Josh Browne, Erasmus, Matty Johnson plus Warner and Woewodin all playing.
Was thinking that very keen on him for port

Top 35 - update - 12th April with Heights/Weights (still incomplete, work in progress)

2. Nick Daicos - Coll F/S - 183cm 72kg

What's Dylan Thomas' pace like?

Do you or eDPS or PMBangers have pre-season testing results yet?

Are you able to tell me more about Ned Long and Finn Callaghan? We require spread and run. Do these boys offer that and are they also able to win their own footy? Lastly, footskills?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you able to tell me more about Ned Long and Finn Callaghan? We require spread and run. Do these boys offer that and are they also able to win their own footy? Lastly, footskills?

Ned Long is a very strong kid with decent pace and endurance, more an inside mid/follower, good footy IQ from what ive seen so far

Finn Callaghan is more your outside mid with pace and smarts, can play contested footy as well.

both have good footskills, from what i have seen so far this season they dont make many errors with the footy or errors in judgement, but it is early in the season and these are early calls, im more comfortable making serious calls after the championships are played out.

2. Nick Daicos - Coll F/S - 183cm 72kg
Connor Macdonald form Stingrays extremely stiff to miss the cut, has dominated the nab leauge so far

Interesting.

He's taller than Wingard at 187 vs 182.

So he's a creative type, with good skills?
I don’t trust the measurements Oakleigh have given I’d say he is closer to 185cm but anyway I think he is fairly creative. Clean player at ground level and in the air so he is a difficult opponent if given much room, as he showed against Eastern if you give him an inch he will take a mile with his kicking.

Connor Macdonald form Stingrays extremely stiff to miss the cut, has dominated the nab leauge so far

theres a handful of guys that are around the mark

SA: Jase Burgoyne, Naisiah Wanganeen, Luca Whitelum, James Willis, Bailey Gal, Brayden Calvett
VM: Blake Howes, Alex Lukic, Josh Ward, Jed Rule, Scott Beilby, Jackson Archer, Henry Brown, Braden Andrews(has been poor so far this season then inj), Lachlan Brooks (have not noticed/injured?) and 3x 19 year olds Sam Clohesy, Cody Raak and Ewan MacPherson
VC: Charlie Molan, Hugh Hamilton, Connor MacDonald, Toby Conway, Josh Gibcus, Tom Brown, Nathan Kay

not as familiar with WA (although i hear Jack Williams is doing well), so i lack a bit of knowledge there and have not seen as much of the Allies guys either yet.

Last edited:
Josh Sinn has gotten about 8 disposals on the wing in the first quarter, he runs like Isaac Smith and kicks like Tom Mitchell, i think every kick has been a clanger, but he can run and find space though, he is a sensational line breaker like Isaac was/is, but theres 3 tiers of football between them when it comes to kicking skills.

i've been saying he doesnt look top 5 so far, but i think he has explosive run and carry which will see him go likely first round and likely 6-10 at this stage for me.

Sandringham look red hot favourites to win the premiership this year.

Last edited:
they are replaying the first quarter, so i guess we're going to miss the second quarter? what can you do, i guess ill see if the Tassie or Gippsland game are playing now.

good to see Josh Sinn hit a few targets and be involved in some good plays after half time, but i was worried seeing last week where i thought he was very loose with his kicking and not getting involved in contests and this weeks first half and the loose disposal, but it was good to see he pulled off a few good plays.

i might redo and tighten up my top 30 before the NAB League break.

Last edited:
NAB League U19s Player Reviews
some of the NAB League talent that has impressed me so far this year

19 year olds:
Oliver Davis - (TAS) again shows his wares as an inside midfielder, he is more your hard work, in and under type, probably needs to improve his athleticism side of his game, but is doing quite well again at NAB League after he was really good in 2019 and good in the TSL in 2020, if he had more leg speed he would be valued more highly.

Cody Raak - (Western Jets) is playing well as that medium sized defender, cleaning up the contests and creating a lot of rebound out of defense.

Noah Gribble - (Geelong) also having a good season after his knee injury, is averaging good numbers in poss, marks and r50.

Chance Doultree - (Gippsland) a 19 year old that has come from nowhere to put in some impressive performances, i might have gone a bit too high with my initial rating, but i do like how he plays and has put in 3 good games to start the season.

Luis D'Angelo - (Gippsland) another 19 year old that has come from nowhere to be a decent option, he has had a couple good games and put his name up there.

Jacob Edwards - (Sandringham) another 19 year old to put their hand up, so much so that he has over shadowed Max Heath in the ruck, although there is not a huge difference between them in the ruck, Edwards is much better around the ground and can play forward kicking a good number of goals so far this season compared to Max who seems more Tap orientated big bodied ruck

Max Heath - (Sandringham) had some wraps off of a pre-season game last year, he seems good in the ruck with his tap work, but is limited around the ground, good luck beating Sandringham in the ruck this season, with Edwards and Heath, then you have Visenti as a 3rd option, they are blessed with rucks and probably have 2 of the best rucks if not the best in the NAB this year.

Sam Clohesy - (Calder) another to come from nowhere to impress for Calder playing a couple good games and putting his name out there as 1 to look out for

Ewan MacPherson - (Northern) he is a good competitor, but his disposal is a bit wayward, but he is worth mentioning as he has F/S connections to the Bulldogs and knows how to win the footy

Dylan Thomas - (Oakleigh) was impressive in the game against Eastern where he kicked 4 goals and looked like he would fit into an AFL team quite comfortably, need to see more of his games, but as an early call, he has something about his game as a small forward he seems very creative, strong mark and good converter.

Luke Cleary - (Sandringham) has been dominating for Sandy in defence, must be a good chance to get drafted at some stage

Darby Hipwell - (Sandringham) has been good for Sandy as well so far, solid midfielder and has added to the impressive depth at Sandringham this season

Ned Moyle - (Oakleigh) in the top 4 rucks in the NAB League from what i have seen so far this year

Eren Soylemez - (Sandringham) dangerous forward for Sandy is playing how i would expect Howes to be playing atm

Last edited:
If the 2021 draft in midfielders strong how is the top kids of 2022 looking do we have talls.

NAB League U18s Player Reviews
as for the 18 year old group in this years NAB League theres a bunch of players im liking and i'll list them here

Nick Daicos - (Oakleigh) he seems to be the best in the NAB League this year, plus kicks goals for fun
Tyler Sonsie - (Eastern) not far behind Daicos, doesnt have that match winning ability that Daicos has, but is a good mid in his own right
Sam Banks - (Tassie) unfortunately broke a wrist, but was in top form before he got injured
Ben Hobbs - (GWV) i liked him in 2019 and has had 1 game in 2020 where he also looked good
Ned Long - (North) strong bodied mid/forw, averages over 20 poss a game and has 7 goals in 3 games i believe, quality player imo
Josh Sinn - (Sandringham) love his game, flaws and all, he attacks the ball and contest in midfield, good mark in the air, the only things holding him back imo are his wayward kicking at times, especially when he is in space with no pressure.
Josh Rachele - (Murray) has not dominated as often as he did in 2019, which has made me drop him down the order a little
Campbell Chesser - (Sandringham) has not averaged big numbers, but i have liked how he plays nonetheless, missed round 3 game
Finn Callaghan - (Sandringham) not as dynamic as Sinn with his runs although close, much more consistent user of the footy so far this year

this group imo are good value, then these guys are in the next group imo

Connor MacDonald - (Dandenong) getting great numbers that cant be ignored, isnt a star player, but really solid in all areas
James Cahill - (Dandenong) another solid player from Dandenong who could be a late consideration
Judson Clarke - (Dandenong) athletic midfielder who has a good jump, agility and run who has been good so far
Max Walton - (Gippsland) speed and good leap as a medium defender, good interceptor and run from defense
Josh Ward - (Northern) speedy small mid, has good numbers and good performances
Joel Fitzgerald - (Northern) poss winning defender, providing good disposal from defence
Darcy Wilmot - (Northern) good intercept medium tall defender for Northern, has had some impressive games so far this season
Jackson Archer - (Northern) medium defender with pace and smarts, clever player who looks likely to make it at the next level
Cooper Hamilton - (Bendigo) another solid midfielder who is the main guy for his team
Hugh Hamilton - (Bendigo) medium forward who has a few tricks up his sleeve and provides a competitive option up forw for his team
Nathan Kay - (Bendigo) solid player who could put his name up there for consideration
Tom Brown - (Murray) a player i liked in 2019, then had good combine results in pre-season and has been ok so far this year
Josh Gibcus - (GWV) a tall defender who can mark in defence, put his name up early for consideration
Charlie Molan - (GWV) a solid medium defender who has been decent, but might need to step it up to get in the draft conversation
Blake Scott - (GWV) competitive small forward, good speed, agility and smarts
Alex Lukic - (Oakleigh) has not performed to expectations yet, has missed a lot of shots at goal, so might drop down the rankings
Scott Beilby - (Oakleigh) decent half back/mid and i want to see more of him as the year goes
Yousef Dib - (Oakleigh) is looking good so far, so Collingwood look to have 2 good players this year
Henry Brown - (Oakleigh) a small player who has been good in spurts, one i need to see more of
Jed Rule - (Oakleigh) a good tall defender who can intercept and control the aerial contests
Braden Andrews - (Oakleigh) was disappointing before injury put him out, will have to see how he comes back later in the year
Lachlan Rankin - (Oakleigh) good player in bursts, clever and skillful player
Blake Howes - (Sandringham) a good classy leading forward, has not got going yet in the first 3 games yet
Luca MacNab - (Sandringham) has been really good as a small defender, just really reliable disposal and good under pressure
Caleb Lewis - (Sandringham) another good tall defender, but i need to see more of him, but he looks good so far
Luke Nankervis - (Sandringham) has been really impressive as a forward flank, i want to see more of him to make a good read
Mitch Owens - (Sandringham) Sandy have so much depth this year and Owens is just another solid player who i want to see more of
Toby Conway - (Geelong) one of the best rucks in the NAB League
Josh Goater - (Calder) solid mid and has been one of the best from calder so far this season with good i50 numbers
Jake Soligo - (Eastern) next to Sonsie is the best midfielder at Eastern this year imo

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back