Review Port defeat Carlton - Rd 5, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

That was mildly satisfying, given the obvious hindrance of not having fully recovered from the big effort last week. Players like Rozee and Jonas looked especially sore, but contributed, and along with the corkie to Hammer, the probable AC to Houston and a couple of other visible niggles, I can forgive the last quarter neutralisation of the scoreboard.

It was a professional, comfortable win over an opponent who were below our standard but tried hard. We conceded more i50 than usual; barely broke even in contested possession (typically one of our strengths) and also lost the clearances, centre clearances and tackle stats. But we were far cleaner with the ball than Carlton, and moved it much better to a more dangerous forward line. The senior midfielders Boak and Wines were fantastic - well done to Boak for breaking the Curnow tag and getting his hands dirty. Lycett was a warrior, unassisted in ruck, and Amon is now brilliant to watch.

But this win was built on defence. Aliir was BOG. He reads the ball so well, and destroyed McGovern while helping TC quell McKay, but he is also creative and attacking in his mindset. A great acquisition. Clurey was also magnificent tonight, as was Burton, and DBJ returned to his bustling, uncompromising best.

Jonas - Took Casboult, and got buffeted off the ball a few times tonight. Probably an indication of a sore body, for mine, but he fought through manfully, and his communication with Aliir is developing - they rarely flew at the same intercept tonight, and were visibly communicating behind play. 7/10

Burton - Finally getting a consistent stretch in the team and showing what a valuable player he is. Matches up well on medium marking forwards, had Williamson for a lot of tonight and destroyed him in the air and on the ground. 8/10

Marshall - One of his best games. Took 9 marks as a roaming half-forward and kicked a goal, but his creativity and skills have gone to a new level. Had 15 kicks and allowed room ahead of him for the small forwards to go to work. 8/10

Houston - Off injured after a fine start in the middle, but it didn't look overly serious, perhaps just an A/C and he was laughing with the other players afterwards. May miss a week and be fresh for the Showdown, with luck. 2/10

Motlop - Invisible performance. Didn't do a lot wrong, but the ball didn't go near him enough. 3/10

Hartlett - Provided the humourous relief for the evening, playing with a corkie and hobbling around like me after any sort of physical exercise. Got the feeling that he felt obliged to stay out there after Rozee did the same last week, and again, with an 8 day break, he can be expected to front up next week. 5/10

Gray - Superstar. Was in everything early, when the game was there to be won, and does some of the most magical things on a footy field. That final term tap-spin-gather-spin, then pass to the one-legged Hartlett was incredible, and his 3 goals shows that he is far from a spent force. 8/10

Boak - What can I say, he is the heartbeat and inspiration of this club. Accepted the tag from Curnow, who has got him a few times in the past, but fought through it by going in and getting the hard ball. 17 of his 28 disposals were contested, and though the hard work meant that his efficiency was down, he was vastly influential tonight. 9/10

Fantasia - Kicked a couple of classic forward crumbers goals. It has been surprising to me how quick he is, and what good goal-sense he has, and he is smart enough to hang around Charlie or Gergi's feet. 7/10

Bergman - Really good return to the team. Looks every bit an AFL standard footballer, probably graduating to a wing at some stage, but tonight he was assured and dashing off half-back, and had a couple of bursting dashes through the centre. He does need to work on his disposal, if I'm being picky, but he is a huge part of our present and our future. 7/10

Amon - Superb game on his wing, and attended some centre bounces tonight. Karl has developed into a dashing, skilled outside player who is willing and able to get his own ball, and he is so valuable to us as a left-footer. His defensive work tonight was also brilliant; it was one of his best all-round games, in what is becoming a stellar career that has snuck up on everyone. 9/10

Wines - I thought he was our best, along with Amon. He had 2 disposals not with great efficiency or style, but with great effectiveness as an inside bull who could get the ball in our control. Has great hands in tight, and isnow not rushing his disposal but trusting his strength to be able to get his hands free. 9/10

Clurey - Superb game from Tommy, beat McKay in nearly every aerial contest, with a little help, and held multiple intercept marks. Never going to be the sexy defender who gets talked up, but does his job most weeks and is reliable with the ball in hand. 7.5/10

Georgiades - Looked like he would tear the game apart in the first half. He is the prototype modern footballer, good at ground level, a balanced runner who gets around the field with ease and a strong mark. But his set-shot kicking is his point of difference - he never looks like missing with that straight run-up and action. Fell out of the game a bit after half-time, and when he develops that consistency during games that young players lack, he will be a star of the league. 8/10

Rozee - Looked to be still suffering the effects of last weeks thigh thumping. Took a long time to get moving, playing mostly up forward, but finally showed some spark in the last, when the heat was out of the game. 5/10

Aliir - Forming a formidable combination with TC and TJ down back, and was most viewers selection as BOG. The fact is that he is now being talked about in the same breath as the best intercept defenders in the league, but he does take responsibility for a forward as well as helping his mates out. And his first thought once he wins the ball is attack/go forward, which is perfect for the way the game is evolving. 9/10

Dixon - Thought he was good tonight, his hands were as clean as they have been for a long time at ground level. Is playing more as a CHF with Georgi and the smalls as permanent forwards, and is the regular target of the kick-ins from full-back. I just loved the one-hand pluck from the sky, that must be so demoralising for his opponent, and Weitering is a good defender. 7/10

Drew - Injury sub, who was activated after half-time in place of Houston. Got a lot of the ball in a half, and for maybe the first time, he looked to have found the composure that the likes of Ollie have when he wins a hard ball. 5/10

Lycett - Manful performance as solo ruck, with very few spells. Marshall took a couple of centre bounces, but otherwise it was Scotty versus 2 rotating Blues rucks, yet he kept battling. Gave away a few late frees through exhaustion, and we will be forced to give him some support or rest at times throughout the season, but he is a tough man, and deserved his goal tonight more than anyone. 8/10

Mayes - Sammy will always be a solid AFL footballer. Slotted in nicely, and took on Hammer's role when injury made him a defensive risk. Mayesie never made a glaring mistake, and gave some fantastic composure to the defence. He is probably not best 22, but is crucial depth, and will play lots of footy this season. 6/10

Byrne-Jones - Back to his best, a bustling and desperate performance. Darce gives so much effort; he runs as hard as he can to impact contests and prevent the opponent from free movement, and tonight he got to the contests in time to spoil on many occasions. Not only that, but he then creates and distributes the ball crisply. Despite his AA last year, he is still one of the most under-rated defenders in the league. 8/10

Jones - Made some rookie errors, as Ken told us he would, but he is so vigorous at the ball that it is bound to happen. What I like is his presence in defence, and as he develops he will become a beast that harkens back to the olden days of VFL/SANFL football. He exudes Port Adelaide footballer; we should bottle his sweat and sell it as PA Cologne! 6/10

Woodcock - I thought he was perfectly fine tonight, taking Butters' role as high half-forward. He put pressure on i50, kicked a beautiful goal and did not look out of place at all in one of the top teams in the league. Again, probably not best 22 but will be a reliable backup when needed. 6/10

A word on the coaching. I thought that the coaching team, and by extension Ken Hinkley, won the battle of the boards tonight. They had a lot to deal with during the game, but made savvy moves like Mayes to defence, Boak onto Crips and giving Bergman some attacking licence, and they all worked. No Carlton player was allowed to get off-leash for too long, and they clearly had an influence on the result. It was a good win, some more injury worries with Houston, Hartlett and cumulatively sore players but we can recall Rockliff for the midfield battles and are in a good position at 4-1 going into a Sunday night game against the Saints who will cop a bit from the media pack this week. We owe them for last season's loss at home, but they cannot possibly kick 12.1 again, and we should have had that game sewn up by the final term.

Hello Power faithful.
Might I say your secret weapon is Karl Amon?
He seems unhindered in his game while there’s heat on players.
It’s a good problem to have.

Hello Power faithful.
Might I say your secret weapon is Karl Amon?
He seems unhindered in his game while there’s heat on players.
It’s a good problem to have.
He hasn’t been a secret for a while already, I believe.

go to the Carlton board and look what your team has reduced us to, melts everywhere

I want to say GGWP but I’d be lying, it was a terrible game. Port oozed class and as OP said should’ve won by more. Port clearly a real premiership chance.

Bruh I’m mad at Carlton atm for being so s**t. I don’t know how the * Carlton supporters exist anymore, feels like the club has gotten away with absolute mediocrity for so long.

He’s missed another 6-8 too.
I thought he was in for a six goal haul early in the second

He's young and playing a tough position so he can drift in and out of games. But boy can he get hot and when he does he marks everything and kicks them from everywhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's young and playing a tough position so he can drift in and out of games. But boy can he get hot and when he does he marks everything and kicks them from everywhere.
It’s that he finds the ball so easily. He either works very hard to get off his man and finds space well, or they just don’t respect him enough and just gravitate to Dixon. Wonderful to see that for a player who will ultimately be an excellent contested mark, he also gets so much uncontested footy.

Also, Carlton were not terrible, but they have made some terrible decisions.
Fancy giving the ghost of Eddie Betts another season. Same with Marc Murphy.

Eddie Murphy always made me laugh

He hasn’t been a secret for a while already, I believe.
Yeah been up track for a season.
I get this O K corall effect in the game plan.
In every situation you make sure the oppo is bunched in tight at stoppages in their desperation to get ball yet you get it on the outside and they chase tail.
It just seems the Blues were constantly sucked in to the contest while the result was the peel out and they were left flat footed.

Another scrappy win similar to many we've had over the past year. Carlton let us off the hook a bit missing easy shots on goal. Doesn't convince me we're good enough to beat the best when it counts but but sometimes you've just to to win 'em.

Aliir was terrific, saved us numerous times getting a hand in to spoil and showing poise when he got it unlike most of our defenders who panic hack it out of there. DBJ much better this week after a few diabolical games. Probably Marshall's best game for us, presented well and looked confident. Clurey ordinary early but improved as the game went on. Wines, Amon, Burton, George, Boak, Lycett all good. Dixon looked more interested without having a great impact.

Injuries probably going to start biting at some point - hope our supposed depth stands up over the next few weeks.

Todd Marshall for me is the most exciting thing to come out of tonight. That's the sort of game i've been craving from him. Go on with it son!!!
This so much. Bloke is so talented, and has shown so much more in 40 games than most, just needs consistency and he could be so valuable. He's not the next tredrea, but he will be a key cog in our next premiership tilt and we should embrace how unique his skills are.

Everyone has mentioned the stand out players so probably no point repeating them.
For me it was good to see Clurey play probably his best game this year.
Also liked the way Mayes slotted in. He not going to be a superstar who will win games of his own boot but it was noticeable that he was involved in quite a few of our scoring plays. A couple of very slick under pressure handballs.
Also happy for Drew to do so well off the bench.
Honourable mention to Hartlett. We were obviously carrying a few injuries/sore spots from last week and his effort to continue to compete probably helped the likes of Rozee to still get rotations. Hartlett might be past his best but he is obviously all about the team.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It's still hard to say exactly where we are at. I feel like we are yet to play a game where we are close to our best. It's been a very untidy start. Our play can be a bit disjointed. We certaintly aren't purring along, but we are getting the job done so far. Would like to see us tidy it up a bit in the coming weeks. At this stage feel like we might get a touch up by one of the teams in the top 6. The Bulldogs will tell us alot if something doesn't before then.

It's still hard to say exactly where we are at. I feel like we are yet to play a game where we are close to our best. It's been a very untidy start. Our play can be a bit disjointed. We certaintly aren't purring along, but we are getting the job done so far. Would like to see us tidy it up a bit in the coming weeks. At this stage feel like we might get a touch up by one of the teams in the top 6. The Bulldogs will tell us alot if something doesn't before then.

I don't remember us being this banged up game to game for a while. We're hobbling along with 16 fit players by the end of games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back