Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
I will never understand the mindset of some people on this board betting against players being rewarded for good form just because they don't like them, and they enjoy the smug self satisfaction they get if they're right.

It's a forum, it takes all kinds. :) Freedom of expression of one's thoughts is something we continue to fight for.

Nov 21, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chelsea, Detroit Pistons
Excited to see if Nash can pull a CJ. Really positive stuff from Box Hill and even got around the goals in the Hawthorn practice games, to be fair.

1 ruck is also a positive experiment. We need to at least try it.

Forward line will be very green, having not really played as a unit so I don't expect them to be on fire and connecting well early.

I said it over pre-season that I think our midfield mix looked a lot better with Cousins last season and I haven't seen or read anything yet to change my mind. Hope he gets some game time soon. Really slotted in well as that outside centre-square mid that could receive the ball running AWAY from opposition pressure. Our current mids don't do that well, bar Chad and Mitchell on occasion.

It's true what some are saying that his role is a lot closer to Worp/Mitchell/etc than Howe or a half forward, but I think that can be a bit of a cop out. When we wanted to find Burgoyne a bunch of centre square rotations to follow Dusty, we found them. Could definitely do the same thing to get Cuz through ~40% of centre bounces.

May 28, 2007
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ollie and Nash in whilst Brockman gets dropped, give me a f***ing spell.

On moto g(7) using BigFooty.com mobile app

WVRh9l.gif

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Mitchell, Worpel, Shiels and O’Meara have kicked one goal between this year
This is a damming stat if correct. It isn’t even sub par, it’s disgraceful tbh. To me it says we aren’t working hard enough forward to lock in the ball and are probably too scared of the transition ball getting over the top where out plodder midfield can’t compete and are setting up defensively to limit the damage.
At some point the midfield mix has to be rectified to be able to score.
Having a s**t ruck dept that can’t get us first use of the ball exposed the entire side and leads to the blowout scoring during quarters.
I’d be more inclined to blame the lack of midfield scoring directly on BB and Cegs & start hitching the wagon on the back of Reeves sooner rather than later. If we’re running Worps and Shiels and whoever else as defensive structure combinations then we have lost the game before it starts.
Cousins, Josh Kelly, DustinMartin couldn’t help this game plan for midfield players to score

Milkshaker

Cancelled
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
With these changes who would the medical sub be? Need it to not be Brockman but Silk was managed last week and got the sub but couldve been a way to get him to 400 games quicker. Any help would be great!
Ha ha. Need Brockman out as well so I can captain him and get Joe Danihers 121.

Last edited:

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Still so confused why cousins doesn’t have a game, excited for today none the less. (Is there a reason the coaches don’t like him?)

Every time he has played our midfield works far better as a unit

not playing jeka is strange to but I can understand it.

not playing cousins and greaves I can’t understand

still feels like we are in two strategies as far as list and team building goes

Mrzohs

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Still so confused why cousins doesn’t have a game, excited for today none the less. (Is there a reason the coaches don’t like him?)

I have to agree bringing in Hartley for 1 match was a little mind boggling.

While the other 3 players you metioned continue to miss out. It's not the like the guys ahead of Cuz&Jek are in decent form.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I think greaves is just out because Burgoyne is in. Last week we need the extra tall defender. This week it is Burgoyne. The club have greaves behind day, Hardwick, impey and scrimshaw among players that play broadly similar roles. It really is just Burgoyne in his way. I’m sure once Burgoyne has reached 400 games he will be more likely to get a game.

cousins is interesting. I think last year he played more of the role Moore is presently playing. But he plays midfield at box hill so I’m guessing the club see him as depth behind the current group. Worpel probably the only one you could think of dropping for cousins.

hawkeye77

Team Captain
Apr 9, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United, Waratahs
Brockman's had a taste of AFL football and now needs to go back to Box Hill and work on his shortcomings. It's the Clarko way - tried and tested.

I'm a Brockman fan and he will be a good player but he needs to learn how to bodyline the ball and halve a contest.
Unless Brockman has been out on a bender and missed training he should play every game.....

Absolutely crazy selection.

Brockman is the one player that has shown something.

Ollie and Conor Nash in.....Yikes.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
As a footy observer it is baffling.
It is obvious why he gets a game and has been explained countless times. He isn’t a very good player. We know that. But we need kpf that can compete and play to the forward structures. Tob is the only one that does that consistently. I’m confident that in time kosi and jeka will go past him (Lewis would be in the side if he wasn’t dumb) but they both have a lot to work on. We just need to be patient. It might be in a couple of weeks or it might be next year. Buckle up 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back