Review Round 5, 2021 - Brisbane Lions vs. Essendon

Who were your five best players against Essendon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Clug was immense, why the bombers didn't sweat on Rich I'll have no idea, 900 odd metres gained in the wet. The evasiveness & freedom that Neale played with gives me a big warm fuzzy.

Lyon's work rate is next level, second & third efforts are a joy to watch. But yeah, Gold Coast doesn't need any of that. Linc great, especially early, would've had another goal if the ump paid that mark that was clearly a mark early in the game.

Only person I'd consider giving a spell in the ressies next week is Bailey. You had one job mate, kick a goal for me, I picked you for the comp.

Stupid Bailey.

I thought McCluggage was brilliant tonight, especially in the first half in the driving rain when he looked a class above and amazingly clean and assured.

Had him BOG.

Lachie was back to 2020 Brownlow form and I was particularly impressed with some of the work he did in tandem with Hugh to set us up in the first half.

I gave my other votes to Linc, Rich and Joe D but I really felt like I could just as easily given votes to Lyons, Zorko and even McStay.

The work that Dan Mc did to set up that shot for Charlie on the stroke of half time was superb. Such a shame that Charlie missed what was a pretty straightforward set shot.

Did they kick a goal tonight not from an umpire howler ? Maybe the stringer one.

I lost track of the howlers.

Essendon players were wandering about all over the place on the mark all night instead of "standing" but it was all good according to the umps.

Yet their only first half goal came from a lightning 50 against Zac for barely batting an eyelid.

A lot of the other decisions in the match were utterly baffling

Essendon players were wandering about all over the place on the mark all night instead of "standing" but it was all good according to the umps.

Yet their only first half goal came from a lightning 50 against Zac for barely batting an eyelid.

Even when the ump said play on as well. 62 frees against in 2 weeks is a tally

Not saying that the umpiring was any good (it wasn’t) but that 50 against Bailey is there all day long under the new rules.

Not saying that the umpiring was any good (it wasn’t) but that 50 against Bailey is there all day long under the new rules.

But he called play on. Audibly. He can't just change his mind. Bailey reacted to him calling play on. It was like he decided that he was wrong in calling play on because Hooker hadn't moved but because Bailey had reacted there was no choice but to call a 50 against him. Terrible.

But he called play on. Audibly. He can't just change his mind. Bailey reacted to him calling play on. It was like he decided that he was wrong in calling play on because Hooker hadn't moved but because Bailey had reacted there was no choice but to call a 50 against him. Terrible.

That's what I thought too.

Was on the wing pretty much right in front of me.

RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!!!!+

Bailey started moving before the ump called it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think so but if so why did the umpire call "play on?"

Because it was play on, but Bailey had already infringed and it obviously all hadn't processed in the umps mind. I watched the clip on the way home, ump made the right call imo. Unlucky for Bailey. :shrug:

Bailey also didn't remonstrate and knew he had given it away.

Umpiring was terrible, just gifting the Bombers poor decisions.

Our intensity lifted right from the beginning, Harris Andrews and Neale were miles above their first few weeks. Zorko, hmmmmm not so much.The team looked very different in endeavour in the pouring rain right from the start.

Prior looks a good one and a good size.

Only down side, Oscar badly limping off with a few minutes to go and Archie Smith again injured in the Reserve grade. Oscar looked really sore, it happened right in front of us. Hope one of them comes up for next week.

Getting on the Scoreboard after 21 year with my daughter - brilliant.
Scoreboard.JPG

Not if the umpire clearly calls play on.....u call clearly see on the umpires face his embarrassment for realising he is a dic@

I get it hurts when a player leaves a club, but the absolute carry on from Dons supporters over Joe is laughable really.

Fans of Melbourne clubs happy for their club to cherry pick players from interstate clubs like its a right of passage, yet when one occasionally goes out the door, it's the end of the world - like Tim Kelly at Geelong.

It hurts and we know all to well the feeling, but the sense of betrayel is what gets me.

Tom Berry put in a nice little contribution as the sub, earned his paycheck. Prior good signs from him too, don't mind a nice goalsneak.

McStay definitely demonstrated his value to the team structure.

I love T Berry but he is very raw with ball in hand.

Good win against the bombers and the umpires ! Either the standard of umpiring has fallen thru the floor or we are being targeted , I favour the second option . Why that is buggered if I know but it’s obvious , thought **** was going to explode

ruck depth is our biggest worry O looks fragile at best . Loved the rich game in wet conditions , Lochie was back to his best and mcstay is the missing piece to our puzzle

great day for the club , well done girls also , a win for the ages !

Back