Draft Expert Knightmare's 2021 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have any highlights or games of Matthew Johnson, what sort of player is he?

Bio from page one/ESPN:
Matthew Johnson
A tall, ball winning midfielder at 192cm, Johnson combines ball winning capabilities with composure, class and evasion in traffic. Johnson plays a style of football resembling Scott Pendlebury and shares many of the same rare gifts for a tall midfielder. By hand and foot Johnson hits his targets, with his vision and decision-making additional strengths. Johnson wins a high proportion of his ball in contested situations and connects on his tackles.

He'll need to improve his volume of accumulation/ball winning. But he has all the tools to be as good as any in this pool.

Aaron Naughton behind both Kings, JUH and Logan McDonald? Please.

I should have been clearer on the purpose, but I wanted to design this team with a long term purpose in mind, rather than a win today perspective.

If I wanted to win today, I'd completely agree Naughton is a must pick.

But for a long term list build? That's where it gets interesting for me and it becomes a discussion. I'd definitely pick McDonald ahead of Naughton. The King's I liked for the ruck utility factor where if I needed to, I could throw them in there. JUH I like as the ultimate i50 target. JUH and the King's up front is where I'd need to think, and Ballard and Taylor in defence, with Naughton just as able to adapt to playing in defence.

The answer to your question is very easy
System , Determination , Hard Work and leadership
having players with the above means alot more than 'individual talent' and physical size

Sure they all need to have talent and be good footballers but also have the ability to respect and implement the above mentioned
Picking up the best KPF in the league for nothing didn't hurt either

We already had a flag before he came
Didn't say the Tigers weren't already a great side. Does help to keep it going with a pick up like that and still keeping 2x 1st rounders that he would of cost in an open market. Anyone would have done the same but it does help with keeping talent coming through

By any chance you watch the sandy game yesterday, what was your thoughts on sinn's game?

I watched Sinn last week, but did not see his game yesterday. *I wish the games were uploaded onto YouTube though so I could!

I'm seeing Sinn at this stage as something like the Lachie Ash of this draft as that explosive running type from defence with a better contested side to his game and greater midfield capabilities.

Any update/thoughts from Sinn's game yesterday if you saw it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched Sinn last week, but did not see his game yesterday. *I wish the games were uploaded onto YouTube though so I could!

I'm seeing Sinn at this stage as something like the Lachie Ash of this draft as that explosive running type from defence with a better contested side to his game and greater midfield capabilities.

Any update/thoughts from Sinn's game yesterday if you saw it?
He had plenty of the ball, predominately playing as a midfielder and pushed forward as the game opened up. His field kicking was poor in the first half, yet he improved significantly with that as the game went forward. I think he definitely improved his draft stock.

He had plenty of the ball, predominately playing as a midfielder and pushed forward as the game opened up. His field kicking was poor in the first half, yet he improved significantly with that as the game went forward. I think he definitely improved his draft stock.

It would have been great to see him as a mid/fwd, as he only got minor midfield opportunities last week. If he can be as good in those spots as he is in defence, that can move him up my draft board, with those genuine multiple position impact players very valuable.

He looks very good in defence. Has a great deal of x-factor with that run he generates. I look forward to hopefully seeing what he can do more as a mid/fwd, as I feel pretty comfortable already with what I've seen of him in defence.

Callaghan might be pushing Sinn for the first drafted from Sandy

Would this transition to AFL standard though?

The risk is he becomes a Laverde or Menadue, with those two having some of the similar tools, but if Callaghan develops the contested side to his game to a high level, he won't just be AFL standard, but one of the very best in the draft.

I should have been clearer on the purpose, but I wanted to design this team with a long term purpose in mind, rather than a win today perspective.

If I wanted to win today, I'd completely agree Naughton is a must pick.

But for a long term list build? That's where it gets interesting for me and it becomes a discussion. I'd definitely pick McDonald ahead of Naughton. The King's I liked for the ruck utility factor where if I needed to, I could throw them in there. JUH I like as the ultimate i50 target. JUH and the King's up front is where I'd need to think, and Ballard and Taylor in defence, with Naughton just as able to adapt to playing in defence.
You do realise that Naughton is only 8 months older than the King brothers, yes? In terms of you positioning for long term?

Regarding versatility, I don’t think I’ve ever seen either King ruck beyond inside 50 contests.

On the other hand it’s fairly well considered that Naughton would be right in the mix as an AA level defender if he stayed in defence.

You do realise that Naughton is only 8 months older than the King brothers, yes? In terms of you positioning for long term?

Regarding versatility, I don’t think I’ve ever seen either King ruck beyond inside 50 contests.

On the other hand it’s fairly well considered that Naughton would be right in the mix as an AA level defender if he stayed in defence.

You're not wrong with Naughton. The relative differences are Naughton was the more advanced at the younger age, but probably hasn't shown the year on year improvement of the King's which may mean the King's have the greater long term upside.

Naughton only this year has shown that improvement after a few years of less consistency than I'd have liked given how early he started playing good footy.

Versatility and capabilities up the ground I completely agree with you on Naughton matching up favourably and I happen to agree with all your comments on Naughton.

One component of interest with the King's and mostly Ben is I'd have him relieving through the ruck so that a second dedicated ruckman wouldn't be required.

Ultimately I'm a fan of all of them.

I could easily place Naughton in for Ben King, as Ben probably isn't needed with Jamarra and Max both in there already. As I said in my video, Naughton was the most unlucky and was that next guy I'd be picking and would like to ideally include if I had room for another tall. Perhaps that means Max is that guy who relieves through the ruck, and that wouldn't hurt the front half balance at all.

In any case, with the versatility of so many of the talls, I like all the options there, and the Naughton's and Allen's outside that 22, it means the sheer number of good options available make picking who out of those is best for the long run a challenge.

You're not wrong with Naughton. The relative differences are Naughton was the more advanced at the younger age, but probably hasn't shown the year on year improvement of the King's which may mean the King's have the greater long term upside.

Naughton only this year has shown that improvement after a few years of less consistency than I'd have liked given how early he started playing good footy.

Versatility and capabilities up the ground I completely agree with you on Naughton matching up favourably and I happen to agree with all your comments on Naughton.

One component of interest with the King's and mostly Ben is I'd have him relieving through the ruck so that a second dedicated ruckman wouldn't be required.

Ultimately I'm a fan of all of them.

I could easily place Naughton in for Ben King, as Ben probably isn't needed with Jamarra and Max both in there already. As I said in my video, Naughton was the most unlucky and was that next guy I'd be picking and would like to ideally include if I had room for another tall. Perhaps that means Max is that guy who relieves through the ruck, and that wouldn't hurt the front half balance at all.

In any case, with the versatility of so many of the talls, I like all the options there, and the Naughton's and Allen's outside that 22, it means the sheer number of good options available make picking who out of those is best for the long run a challenge.
Thanks for the reply.

only other thing I’d say is regarding your comment on his year on year improvement or lack there of.
In 2018 (his first year) he finished 4th our B&F
In 2019 he had his break out year when he moved forward
In 2020 no doubt he dropped off. I think it’s worth noting though he missed a third of the season with injury and had a really limited pre season due to his knee injury in the 2019 final.

This year he has been fantastic.

Sorry not trying to pick through everything, but I obviously follow him closely and other than an injury interrupted 2020 his progression has been great.

He still needs to work on his goal kicking but I’d say that’s his only flaw.

Ultimately all the guys you have mentioned are very exciting and as fans we have a great 10 years or so in front of us to enjoy watching them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back