Review Round 6 vs Swans @ Metricon Stadium (24.04.21 - 1:45pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Only saw parts , was more disappointed in our listed small forwards in that game , still think we should have picked up a couple more last year. Our current ones apart from Rankine aren't doing their jobs ( Sexton and Corbett are mid forwards) , the other thing is none of our midfielders are big goal kickers so we need our forwards to pick up the slack
Sexton is 186cm but there is literally nothing in his gameplay that suggests he plays as a 'mid forward'.

He takes 1 contested mark every 6 games.
He gets vast majority of his goals roving packs and snapping around the corner

He is absolutely a small forward.

Guys who are mid sized forwards
Toby Greene, Bayley Fritsch, Isaac Heeney, Shane Mcadam
They are taking between 4-6 contested marks every 6 games compared with Sexton 1 contested mark in 6 games.

McCartin has been playing full back for Sydney since halfway through last year.

Oh - got that you probably meant MCdonald?

Yep sorry, the big young fella McDonald.

Rory Atkins might come into contention as well? If he is now fit, he’s wasted running around in the reserves.

Yep sorry, the big young fella McDonald.

Rory Atkins might come into contention as well? If he is now fit, he’s wasted running around in the reserves.
I don't know if you saw the match but he was absolutely woeful.

I wouldn't be bringing him in off the back of that performance.
Just needs a bit more match fitness.

I think he'll be better in the top team than the reserves with the style he plays but boy..

I don't know if you saw the match but he was absolutely woeful.

I wouldn't be bringing him in off the back of that performance.
Just needs a bit more match fitness.

I think he'll be better in the top team than the reserves with the style he plays but boy..
Outs - MacPherson. Holman and Ainsworth ( draw a line in the sand for underperformance 41 goals in 62 games and drop a name) , Harbrow ( should have got the Tap on the shoulder last year and a award named after him) and Graham. In - Sharp, Flanders, Fiorini Lemmons and Hombsch. Also Ablett is considering a comeback and Geelong don't have a spot maybe worth picking up in the mid season

Outs - MacPherson. Holman and Ainsworth ( draw a line in the sand for underperformance 41 goals in 62 games and drop a name) , Harbrow ( should have got the Tap on the shoulder last year and a award named after him) and Graham. In - Sharp, Flanders, Fiorini Lemmons and Hombsch. Also Ablett is considering a comeback and Geelong don't have a spot maybe worth picking up in the mid season
That was sarcasm surely?

Outs - MacPherson. Holman and Ainsworth ( draw a line in the sand for underperformance 41 goals in 62 games and drop a name) , Harbrow ( should have got the Tap on the shoulder last year and a award named after him) and Graham. In - Sharp, Flanders, Fiorini Lemmons and Hombsch.
You not bringing in Ballard? seems like he'll be ready if he was a chance this week.
With Graham out, who are you playing in the ruck? Graham contested the ruck contests far better than Burgess last night IMO

You not bringing in Ballard? seems like he'll be ready if he was a chance this week.
With Graham out, who are you playing in the ruck? Graham contested the ruck contests far better than Burgess last night IMO
If Ballard is fit he comes in but think Hombsch may be the man for Buddy , we just need to shake up those players who are cruising knowing their name will be on the whiteboard every week. You need to drop a name that why the giants dropped Conglio last year

If Ballard is fit he comes in but think Hombsch may be the man for Buddy , we just need to shake up those players who are cruising knowing their name will be on the whiteboard every week. You need to drop a name that why the giants dropped Conglio last year
Hombsch would get destroyed by buddy. I love Jack but he is effectively a 3rd tall. Buddy would have 7cms and 10 kilos on him

So you're saying you want Murtagh to play?

Yeah for sure! Look how good Farrar and Corbett were. Let’s see what other Gold we have in the Reserves too.
While we are at it give Brodie and Fiorini another chance.
Rest old blokes and people with any niggles.

We aren’t playing finals this year, while we are waiting fir all the knee injury blokes to return let’s shape the list and experiment with positions and the game plan.
Find out too who has got mongrel in them.
If it costs us games then I know it hurts but we get another nice early draft pick to try and not waste this time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah for sure! Look how good Farrar and Corbett were. Let’s see what other Gold we have in the Reserves too.
While we are at it give Brodie and Fiorini another chance.
Rest old blokes and people with any niggles.

We aren’t playing finals this year, while we are waiting fir all the knee injury blokes to return let’s shape the list and experiment with positions and the game plan.
Find out too who has got mongrel in them.
If it costs us games then I know it hurts but we get another nice early draft pick to try and not waste this time.
Respectfully disagree, by all means give some fringe lads a crack, blood some new boys. But... not at the expense of a chance at victory. I don’t think we can afford another bottom 2-3 finish. I agree finals are off the table. But for mine it will cost us too much. In members not renewing, in sponsors dropping, in even less nation wide FTA exposure. By all means if VFL form warrants it; ie Murtagh I’m on board. I’d just hate to see us effectively throw games.

This disagreement is meant with total respect, I love what you bring to the board. Just happen to disagree on this one.

Murtagh needs a bit more time in the 2's, played well yesterday, let's see if he can do it for a few more weeks before he comes in.

Lemmens and Ballard come in and our defence will look stronger.

Darcy and Harbrow definitely need to come out.

Another 2 I would look to take out would be Holman and Sexton. Both really poor yesterday, and in Sexton's case, his selfishness cost us a couple of goals. Holman can go back to being the emergency sub.

I would bring Atkins if fit as that outside player we desperately need. Didn't set the VFL alite by all reports, but if he isn't getting that service, he isn't going to do much. Would also give Flanders a run after being the sub for past couple of games.

Murtagh needs a bit more time in the 2's, played well yesterday, let's see if he can do it for a few more weeks before he comes in.
Does he though? Why does he NEED more weeks in the 2s? Look at the way Farrar performed yesterday in only his second AFL game and he hadn't even built any form in the VFL. If we had applied the same logic to Farrar about building form in the ressies over multiple weeks then we wouldn't have seen what Jy did yesterday and every Suns fan would agree that he should keep his place in our best 22 after his performance yesterday.

We're screaming out for a ruckman right now and we actually have one in our reserves who was arguably best on for us yesterday, yet we're going to purposely keep him in the 2s and continue to struggle in the ruck department? I just don't get the logic. What's the point of having a reserves team if you're not going to reward good form in a position you're struggling with at the AFL level?

Murtagh also looked dangerous as a key forward yesterday when he took multiple contested marks inside 50 and kicked a pair of goals. He could provide the exact kind of support King needs to get things going as a lead up forward while Murtagh plays as your classic big body full forward in the goal square who takes contested marks. We know Murtagh already has the body for this, he's heavier than Buddy Franklin right now! Then we also have Corbett taking contested marks as a third tall as well as Ainsworth and Rankine playing as our dangerous small forwards. That's a strong forward line in my mind.

I'm yet to see a good reason to keep Murtagh in the reserves after the way he played yesterday. All I've seen is the classic conservative approach of 'give him a few more weeks in the 2s to build form' but that argument really falls apart when you look at how serviceable guys like Farrar and Burgess have been for us this year WITHOUT having built multiple weeks of good form in the reserves.

Does he though? Why does he NEED more weeks in the 2s? Look at the way Farrar performed yesterday in only his second AFL game and he hadn't even built any form in the VFL. If we had applied the same logic to Farrar about building form in the ressies over multiple weeks then we wouldn't have seen what Jy did yesterday and every Suns fan would agree that he should keep his place in our best 22 after his performance yesterday.

We're screaming out for a ruckman right now and we actually have one in our reserves who was arguably best on for us yesterday, yet we're going to purposely keep him in the 2s and continue to struggle in the ruck department? I just don't get the logic. What's the point of having a reserves team if you're not going to reward good form in a position you're struggling with at the AFL level?

Murtagh also looked dangerous as a key forward yesterday when he took multiple contested marks inside 50 and kicked a pair of goals. He could provide the exact kind of support King needs to get things going as a lead up forward while Murtagh plays as your classic big body full forward in the goal square who takes contested marks. We know Murtagh already has the body for this, he's heavier than Buddy Franklin right now! Then we also have Corbett taking contested marks as a third tall as well as Ainsworth and Rankine playing as our dangerous small forwards. That's a strong forward line in my mind.

I'm yet to see a good reason to keep Murtagh in the reserves after the way he played yesterday. All I've seen is the classic conservative approach of 'give him a few more weeks in the 2s to build form' but that argument really falls apart when you look at how serviceable guys like Farrar and Burgess have been for us this year WITHOUT having built multiple weeks of good form in the reserves.
I've long held the opinion that the NEAFL did more harm to our development than good.The standard gap was just too big to judge form.So the VFL is a 2 edged sword here.On the one hand good form at VFL level is good form and should translate to ability at AFL level-on the other hand playing at VFL level "should" lead to better development in the future.So Murtagh's form at VFL level should be reproducible at AFL level, but if he's held back he should continue to develop.Personally I'd throw him in.It just means you can start balancing the team again

Good excuses to put Murtagh in now with Conroy , Witt and Sam day out . I drop Graham rather than Burgess . Fully utilise the three Corbett , Burgess and Collins from AFL gift . Graham is another Joyce selection just for the academy fan .

I've long held the opinion that the NEAFL did more harm to our development than good.The standard gap was just too big to judge form.So the VFL is a 2 edged sword here.On the one hand good form at VFL level is good form and should translate to ability at AFL level-on the other hand playing at VFL level "should" lead to better development in the future.So Murtagh's form at VFL level should be reproducible at AFL level, but if he's held back he should continue to develop.Personally I'd throw him in.It just means you can start balancing the team again
It should also be pointed out that Murtagh never played in the NEAFL while he's been a Suns listed player. He spent all of last season playing against AFL reserves teams (and occasionally for other AFL reserves teams haha). This essentially means Murtagh already has over a full year of VFL development under his belt from last year.
We aren’t playing finals this year...
I just want to point out that as of this morning the 8th placed Brisbane Lions had one more win than us.

I didn’t know it was available to watch, or I would’ve loved to. I don’t know the final score but it had to be better than the seniors effort.

Regardless of that Fiorini has had some very good games at senior level AFL, I agree he’s not the fastest and his ball movement isn’t 100% but you could say that I’ve just about anyone in our team
You can still watch it. Murtagh took some great marks.

When we lost Witts the club said that Murtagh is up to it but was away from the club due to passing his farther and will need to be built up. So that could be the reason why he spends extra weeks in VFL. I am not going to re-watch VFL game but he did seem to fade out in the last quarter.

Murtagh was very good as a forward, marked a lot of balls and should have at least 4 goals.

As for ruck, Hofert spent more time there and despite still being skinny it looked to me to like he was doing a decent job, probably better than Murtagh. That being said Burgess and Graham were dominated and I feel like Greewood actually was the best choice there against Sweet.

Murtagh in for me unless he does not have a tank yet.

Keeping in mind that the bulldogs vfl ruckman is not actually a ruckman either but a tall defender.

murtagh was effectively tucking against a Caleb Graham type yesterday.

None of their 3 ruckman English, Martin, sweet obviously played vfl

Don't be donkey , just played Murtagh , what is the worse case scenario? heavy loss I drop Graham , even Collingwood Americana toyed with him last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back