Review Round 5 vs Bulldogs @ Marvel Stadium (17.04.21 - 4:35pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Me coming home after being out all day.

The first half sounded shithouse
The second half sounded way better.
Only a 10 goal loss, Better than what some were predicting
Doggy's contenders, We're crippled.
Hopefully, injury-free and reload for next week.

Anyone care to dispute?

I won’t dispute, but I will say whilst the third quarter was great, the dogs had dropped a gear, seemed to almost take it easy. Allowing us to look better than we perhaps were.
In saying that; a 10 goal loss was bang on expectations. Just didn’t expect the first half to be quite that bad.

Our current midfield is just not up it. Not enough class or not quite enough go.

Not winning enough contested ball between the arcs, and defenders getting hammered most weeks.

History says (last year and this year) that if we are playing Swallow, Miller, Greenwood and Weller as core parts of our midfield group, our midfield is not good enough to be a finals contender. To date, Fiorini and Brodie have shown they are not better than those 4.

Either they have to play better more consistently, or we have to wait for Rowell and at least 1 more youngster to push them them out by playing better.

Bulldogs might be the best midfield in the comp so a bad matchup, but that just highlights how far we are away in there.

Get flogged in the midfield like we did in the 1st half, rest of the team looks rubbish.

145 marks today and averaging 120 a game. This game style is in no way suited to the new rules this year. Cats are lucky they aren’t 0-4 because Scott refuses to acknowledge it. Time for Stewy to rewire the game plan because these rules are here to stay.

When we played NMFC it was take the game on fast through the middle when we play everyone else chip it around bomb it down the line create stoppage bomb into forwards turnover run back and defend and chip it around the backline again

Several times we link up for a nice passage of play but then it’s like oops we’re not supposed to play like this and back to defensive style

Our current midfield is just not up it. Not enough class or not quite enough go.

Not winning enough contested ball between the arcs, and defenders getting hammered most weeks.

History says (last year and this year) that if we are playing Swallow, Miller, Greenwood and Weller as core parts of our midfield group, our midfield is not good enough to be a finals contender. To date, Fiorini and Brodie have shown they are not better than those 4.

Either they have to play better more consistently, or we have to wait for Rowell and at least 1 more youngster to push them them out by playing better.

Bulldogs might be the best midfield in the comp so a bad matchup, but that just highlights how far we are away in there.

Get flogged in the midfield like we did in the 1st half, rest of the team looks rubbish.
The future is Rowell, Anderson, Hollands & Davies. Let’s hope we can develop them.

When we played NMFC it was take the game on fast through the middle when we play everyone else chip it around bomb it down the line create stoppage bomb into forwards turnover run back and defend and chip it around the backline again

Several times we link up for a nice passage of play but then it’s like oops we’re not supposed to play like this and back to defensive style
The first 20 minutes against the Crows was damn good. Some easy misses by the usual suspects cost us a 3-4 goal lead at qtr time. We easily could’ve kicked 8 in the first.

Well done all the Suns fans at the game yesterday. Saw a few behind the posts and a splattering here and there elsewhere in the crowd.
That first half to be there at the game must have been brutal.

It felt like there was more people behind the goals than what showed on tv CanYouFeelTheSunburn had a good vibe going getting everyone up and about especially with his drum

Was at the game - had seats 10m away from Dew and the bench.

Although I'm not one to be vocal at the footy I really wanted to scream out my displeasure at the game. That was pure trash being dished up - in the first half - couldn't stick a tackle, couldn't hit basic handball and continually fumbled in perfect conditions.

Something is wrong with Rankine, doesn't bodyline the ball.

Have to wonder if Dew is a good coach - players are just not developing how they would at a good club.

EDIT: Really impressed with Farrar down back - need to persist with him down there as our 3rd tall back

Of their first 11 goals 7 were kicked by their midfielders.

We don't have a single midfielder (bar Rowell and Anderson on potential) that are as good as any one of Bontempelli, Dunkley, Macrae, Treloar Liberatore or even Hunter. Bailey Smith is their worst mid and with us he'd be 2nd or 3rd best.
Hope you guys dont mind me sneaking in. In reponse to the above baz had his worst game with us all season on saturday. Previous weeks hes been close to BOG. On his normal form hed be your best mid. Our midfield depth is very very good. And w have a bunch who are either recovering from injury or cant push in yet who are very close to as good.
With your injuries theres no shame in being pantsed by that group. Good fightback in the second half.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope you guys dont mind me sneaking in. In reponse to the above baz had his worst game with us all season on saturday. Previous weeks hes been close to BOG. On his normal form hed be your best mid. Our midfield depth is very very good. And w have a bunch who are either recovering from injury or cant push in yet who are very close to as good.
With your injuries theres no shame in being pantsed by that group. Good fightback in the second half.
I was meaning that with a healthy list he'd be 2nd or 3rd behind Rowell and arguably one of Miller or Greenwood.

I've also watched all the bulldogs games this year (close friend is a diehard supporter) and he was possibly BOG round 1 but his next 4 have been okay without being special. Objectively he has been outperformed by the Bont, Macrae, Treloar, Dunkley and Libba this year so far, which was my point.

We have MAYBE one healthy mid that is as good as Bailey Smith, and he's not in your top 5 midfielders.

He's been an excellent player since coming into the league and don't disagree with you on performance to date. But having the luxury of being the 6th cab off the rank and no real attention is a luxury he wouldn't be afforded in a team with a more shallow midfield. So don't think he would have replicated his performances elsewhere.

He's a player the dogs fans would LOVE but honestly one of my most disliked players in the league.

His hair, the strut and arrogance, the can't leave Victoria bullshit - but then left Victoria for months the following year - just can't stand the bloke I'm afraid! I'm sure he would lap that s**t up though.

He's been an excellent player since coming into the league and don't disagree with you on performance to date. But having the luxury of being the 6th cab off the rank and no real attention is a luxury he wouldn't be afforded in a team with a more shallow midfield. So don't think he would have replicated his performances elsewhere.

He's a player the dogs fans would LOVE but honestly one of my most disliked players in the league.

His hair, the strut and arrogance, the can't leave Victoria bullshit - but then left Victoria for months the following year - just can't stand the bloke I'm afraid! I'm sure he would lap that sh*t up though.

Truer words have never been spoken................he IS the typical FIGJAM

Bailey Smith great player , a bit DH, lucky he said he don't want to leave Victoria , If not Craig Cameron draft him and get back 4th round pick like Peter Wright after two years and bundle with multiple pick to Eagles or Brisbane get McLennan type.

So this was the first game i'd been to in a long time. Shame to see so many of the usual Vic Suns members not there but it's understandable. The first half was awful but the third quarter at least gave us something to take away. We just feel like a nothing team atm. Not exciting and grow and not having promise and something to look forward to. We have Collingwood at the MCG next week, we'll probably never have a better chance to beat them there.

If we don't pick up soon i worry what next year will look like

A lot of long time posters/members of the club on this forum are very down about the state of the club at the moment, myself included obviously. I feel the club is at a breaking point as many of us that have stuck by the club through year after year of terrible football are fed up with the spin. It’s almost seems like the club internally however have no idea of just how bad the team is perceived from the outside, talk of growth/improvement is simply nonsense considering the list of talent that is available. If things don’t turn around this year I seriously fear for the future of the club

I feel if Clarkson had this team in Hawthorn jumpers they would be premiership contenders, big call I know but he has done more with limited talent than what we could provide him

A lot of long time posters/members of the club on this forum are very down about the state of the club at the moment, myself included obviously. I feel the club is at a breaking point as many of us that have stuck by the club through year after year of terrible football are fed up with the spin. It’s almost seems like the club internally however have no idea of just how bad the team is perceived from the outside, talk of growth/improvement is simply nonsense considering the list of talent that is available. If things don’t turn around this year I seriously fear for the future of the club

I feel if Clarkson had this team in Hawthorn jumpers they would be premiership contenders, big call I know but he has done more with limited talent than what we could provide him

Always worth remembering that things are never as bad as they seem (we have played some good football at times this year) or as good as they seem (we have played some poor football this year).

It helps me to focus on the big prize: growing into a consistent top 4 contender.
That is, playing finals at home and winning finals.
Everything else is just week to week entertainment, but the long game is where it is at for us.
It will take at least a couple of years, but if we get there it will be worth it.
I bet you that is the goal for players like Rowell and Ando, King and Luko.
Might need a new coach to get there, but getting there is hard.

We could go get a bunch of solid older players with limited upside, or overpay for non-stars, but then we would just be Carlton. Pass.
Play the high upside guys like Wil Powell and live with the errors.

We could try to get Clarko, but he would just trade all our picks and young players to the Hawks for Jaeger and Wingard and Shiel and Gunston and the rest. And Scrimshaw!!!!!!! Hard pass.

It is hard to win games this year, apart from poor old North.
Good. We have to earn it. But the long game is the game for us right now, and it is hard build/re-build a club, but top 4 is the go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back