Autopsy Rd 5 BELTED! Power turns the Blues lights out

Who player well for the Blues vs Port?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
They had 400 disposals to our 333. Think that was probably the telling stat from last night.

Despite all that - the KEY stat was poor set shot execution - sorry to labor THE obvious point amongst all the noise mate.
No coach or game plan can survive our attrocious conversion rates - and if you dont convert you get rebound effect - almost as if they were tunrovers to disadvanatge and the secondary and tertiary derivative stats reflect this.

Sure it is an obvious fact that quite a few players could not peform their roles even to basic levels of competency - but that segueways into a broader issue - same as certain seniour players are playing very selfish and undisciplined football.

Even a an amateur nuff nuff liek me could see reading the fixture at the start of teh year - that it was going to be a tough run - and then we copped a bunch of injuries before the season even started and into teh season and continuing.

These arent excuses btw- just facts.

It isnt on Teague that he has to play certain blokes who cant go hard for 4 quarters or has to play certian bloeks out of position - it is just where the list and injuries have put us - a very very uncomfortabel place.

Its just as bad as Facebook here now.
'We' scoff at opposition supporters who vent and look for 'scapegoats' in a bad loss.
Some going as far as entering other clubs boards to gloat and bait.

Yet 'we' are the worst easily!

When we win, sack everybody
When we lose, sack everybody.

Doesn't matter the circumstances or ladder positions, everyone wants someone sacked!!

Get a friggen grip will ya's??

We were flat and looked slowish.
We compared well in all stats but our disposal let us down in the end.

Yes, as supporters we're disappointed and hoped for better.

Port are a very very good footy club, but it seems for some here, anything less than a resounding win calls for players and coaches to be sacked, abused and disrespected.
On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

At least we're consistent fella, unlike out football team :winkv1::grinv1:

We as supporters have been making excuses for the club and the players for the last 20 years.. When is it going to stop?

We are becoming two types of supporter groups on here
A Group - Sick of being crap, sick of players with no heart just wanting a pay cheque and sick of the club spin for 20 years ..
Currently two coaches down, 110 games into a 66 game rebuild and no difference. We were a powerhouse club once, now just all hot air and talk..

B Group - Have unwittingly been groomed by the club to accepted the mediocrity (from favourite players and club) and will not accept any criticism

Last edited:

Sweet Seventeen

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Old hacks?
People won't take you seriously with that tone/ lack of respect. Do better
Yeah, fair enough. Meant no disrespect just the same. Actually I do applaud them for their long and illustrious career's. Hopefully Eddie will remain injury free and have a decent season, he is doing okay. Been really disappointed in Murphs output for a while, understand he does have shoulder problems and cannot do what he used to do. The sooner that Cunners bangs the door down and takes his spot the better, of course we are really missing Fish and Jack Martin up their atm.

Aug 20, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Carlton
Was at the game last night and had good seats - was easy to see how Port pulled us apart.

1. We were killed, no, slaughtered on the outside. It was almost if Port often wanted us to win at the stoppage so they could force a turnover and then spread. Wines/Boak were so much cleaner than Cripps/Curnow it was almost comical in comparison. Unfortunately there is no fix to this aspect - we can’t invent outside mids. (Dow, Setterfield, Stocker all best suited inside). Jack Martin and Marc Murphy onball would be handy ....
2. Our basic kicking and handballing skills are appalling - telegraphed and not to advantage.
3. Our kicking for goal has been ordinary for too long. Port’s ability to covert was incredible. Could see the impact our misses had on the whole team.
4. McGovern should play third tall down back. Otherwise he should play VFL.
5. I can’t disagree anymore on SPS - not exactly sure what his role is down back.
6. Newnes, Betts, Gibbons, Casboult, Cottrell, Pittonet, Kennedy ... big question marks.

The most disappointing aspect was that I think we had a decent crack for most of the night - just simply not good enough.

4flagsin5yrs

Premiership Player
Dec 30, 2020
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Liddle is doing a fantastic job, plenty not going right at the minute but he is flying.

I think you need to get a grip mate

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Your opinion, my opinion.

They differ.

"Flying"? How so?

Offering low game and freebie memberships to boost membership numbers - no doubt replicating models used for years by many AFL and non AFL clubs alike before that....gee.

Flying? When our onfield performance is inevitably as fickle, inconsistent and often insipid in 2021 as it has been for near on 20 years.

If that's "flying", perhaps you need "to get a grip".

Mate.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
That 3 tall forward setup stunk. McGovern is so easy to play on - just stand in front of him and he'll never lead, because he starts daydreaming of getting easy goals out the back.

I really miss Charlie actually leading up to the wing when we're struggling to move the ball

The good thing about Charlie apart from his constant effort through a game is opposition teams are shitscared of what he can do. He can win outnumbered contests, follow up on ground level balls and link up if need be and then obviously use his huge engine to get into the forwardline and be a constant threat.

McKay is decent in the air, but mainly due to being super tall. Put someone in front of him though and he struggles.

Casboult and McGovern are useless and actually detrimental once the ball hits the ground and our opposition use their direct opponents to rebound through. Probably not far off calling time on Cas and trialling McGovern as a permanent intercept defender.

BlueTang

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Yeah, fair enough. Meant no disrespect just the same. Actually I do applaud them for their long and illustrious career's. Hopefully Eddie will remain injury free and have a decent season, he is doing okay. Been really disappointed in Murphs output for a while, understand he does have shoulder problems and cannot do what he used to do. The sooner that Cunners bangs the door down and takes his spot the better, of course we are really missing Fish and Jack Martin up their atm.
Great post, I agree with you.
(wasn't looking for an internet fight with my reply either, glad you responded that way)

4flagsin5yrs

Premiership Player
Dec 30, 2020
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Saad and esp Walsh were outstanding.

Casboult kicked a couple of nice goals.

Some grit and heart shown in the last quarter.

Honestly, you would think we lost by 80 plus the way some here are carrying on.

We were rubbish for more than 3 quarters and still lost by only 28 points to one of the flag favourites.

We have plenty of improvement and upside, just didn't have the cattle on the night to match it with Port.

Sorry, but that's an entirely naive assessment.

Port played in 2nd gear for 65% of the game, 1st gear for another 25% odd (e.g. the 4th quarter) and only hit 3rd gear for the balance (10%).

Their 4th or 5th gears simply weren't needed.

All that having been down two men for most of the night and after losing two of their brightest stars last week.

It was never a contest - from the get go.

Beer n Skittles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 6, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Rampage
I didn't think Gov was that bad last night; he's missed a bit of footy due to injury, and we rushed him back in too early. At least he was trying, even if things weren't working for him.
Needs to at least provide a realistic option. Standing 70m from the bloke with the ball waving for them to kick it over Aliir who's playing 10m in front of him is pretty unrealistic. Had half the stadium screaming at him to make a lead at times.

Beer n Skittles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 6, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Rampage
Was at the game last night and had good seats - was easy to see how Port pulled us apart.

1. We were killed, no, slaughtered on the outside. It was almost if Port often wanted us to win at the stoppage so they could force a turnover and then spread. Wines/Boak were so much cleaner than Cripps/Curnow it was almost comical in comparison. Unfortunately there is no fix to this aspect - we can’t invent outside mids. (Dow, Setterfield, Stocker all best suited inside). Jack Martin and Marc Murphy onball would be handy ....
2. Our basic kicking and handballing skills are appalling - telegraphed and not to advantage.
3. Our kicking for goal has been ordinary for too long. Port’s ability to covert was incredible. Could see the impact our misses had on the whole team.
5. I can’t disagree anymore on SPS - not exactly sure what his role is down back.
6. Newnes, Betts, Gibbons, Casboult, Cottrell, Pittonet, Kennedy ... big question marks.

The most disappointing aspect was that I think we had a decent crack for most of the night - just simply not good enough.
Hungry Newnes demanding the ball and spraying shots nowhere near the goals killed us in the first

BlueTang

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Needs to at least provide a realistic option. Standing 70m from the bloke with the ball waving for them to kick it over Aliir who's playing 10m in front of him is pretty unrealistic. Had half the stadium screaming at him to make a lead at times.
I couldn't see that through Kayo, unless it's within 4m of the player you miss all that (if only they would zoom out occasionally...)

Own The Future

Club Legend
Nov 8, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton

Was at the game too, and totally agree with what you have stated here.
To me the biggest issue was the skill errors. Lost count of how many times the hard work was undone with a dropped mark, rushed kick or handball straight to the opposition. The 1Q one from SPS in the D50 was an omen of what was to come. The missed set shots from Cripps/Newnes/ZW/Gov/etc were also morale killers.
Thought we matched the intensity in the 1Q but fell away terribly from then on. Not sure if it was actual or perceived pressure that did us in, but we just couldn’t keep up.
As has been said multiple times, the long bombs into the F50 were just pointless. Aliir is one of the best intercept marks in the league and was picking them off with ease.
Lack of skill, composure, structure, faith in teammates, cohesion and confidence were the standout negatives. Sadly these are not traits that will change in a week, or with the inclusion of missing players. Hate to say it but the rot has well and truly set in at this place.
I’m not a fairweather fan. I’ll be there next week too. But I’m damn sick of the messages coming from those in charge. Sick of hearing that we will learn from this, we now know what we need to do to compete with a team as good as Port.
Spare me.
If you didn’t know that already and haven’t been working since the preseason on far better systems and structures than you dished up last night then it’s far too late.

17SetMeFree

Club Legend
Nov 2, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Your opinion, my opinion.

They differ.

"Flying"? How so?

Offering low game and freebie memberships to boost membership numbers - no doubt replicating models used for years by many AFL and non AFL clubs alike before that....gee.

Flying? When our onfield performance is inevitably as fickle, inconsistent and often insipid in 2021 as it has been for near on 20 years.

If that's "flying", perhaps you need "to get a grip".

Mate.
cleared 7 million of debt in 3 years

Beer n Skittles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 6, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Rampage
The good thing about Charlie apart from his constant effort through a game is opposition teams are shitscared of what he can do. He can win outnumbered contests, follow up on ground level balls and link up if need be and then obviously use his huge engine to get into the forwardline and be a constant threat.

McKay is decent in the air, but mainly due to being super tall. Put someone in front of him though and he struggles.

Casboult and McGovern are useless and actually detrimental once the ball hits the ground and our opposition use their direct opponents to rebound through. Probably not far off calling time on Cas and trialling McGovern as a permanent intercept defender.
Standing around wanting the ball kicked up played into Aliir's hands who was just way too good for all of them. Need to move and lead and force him to commit to one opponent

Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Despite all that - the KEY stat was poor set shot execution - sorry to labor THE obvious point amongst all the noise mate.
No coach or game plan can survive our attrocious conversion rates - and if you dont convert you get rebound effect - almost as if they were tunrovers to disadvanatge and the secondary and tertiary derivative stats reflect this.
Don't you get the feeling that if we converted better the Port onslaught of the 3rd term would've lasted a bit longer? I really think they took it easy on us for large ish patches of that game. Their 80-90% intensity seemed to break us apart they didn't need the 100%

WFGodot

Cancelled
Nov 3, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Our skills, particularly kicking skills were poor. We had so many avoidable turnovers. Shots on goal were woeful. Decision making was lamentable.

However, if we converted chances early we may have given ourselves a fighting chance.
Our confidence is so brittle that lack of reward for effort when we shoot for goal means we drop our heads.
Cripps did some weird things. Kicked when he shouldn’t, took the opposition on when he should have hand balled to a teammate and is one of the poorest shots on goal I’ve seen. This is our captain!

Considering our injuries to walk away with a 6 goal loss, its is not the time to burn down the club. We have every right to be disappointed but now is the time stick with them. Eat the loss, reluctantly.
remember it’s never as good or as bad as it looks.

Back