The San Antonio Spurs thread - A Fiesta of Youth

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't get how this team keeps winning!

I know the Bulls aren't great, but coming back from 20 behind on the road isn't something a team does every day.

LaMa is clearly as good as gone, but our form is clearly making the "Do we trade DeMar?" question a little complicated.

looks like we're out of gas, we've been abysmal since the all star break. no idea where that performance came from, gotta keep it rolling and try to deny the pelicans

looks like we're out of gas, we've been abysmal since the all star break. no idea where that performance came from, gotta keep it rolling and try to deny the pelicans
We are definitely outta gas.
Just losing too many games now.

We are definitely outta gas.
Just losing too many games now.
yep Boston and Philly games really hurt us. Luckily we've got the tiebreaker over the pelicans, because its getting close.

Draft isn’t far away, will be interesting which way they go at 12. Seems like the draft drops off after four and even more after six but there isn’t a real consensus from pick 7 onwards. Need wings and bigs and it sounds like there will be a lot of those types in that range. Wonder who they like, a few mocks have us taking Alperen Sengun presumably because he is international.

Sounds like DeRozan is out too, which will suck. Might have to lean in to bottoming out in that case.

Surprise to say the least. Earliest I saw him in the mocks was about 24 and most had him as either late first or early second. Not sure why they wouldn’t trade back but I guess someone else could’ve liked them as much as the Spurs did.

Do need wings though and he looks like he can shoot it. I was hoping they’d pick Moody since he was still available and he looks like a similar type who is a bit more polished and proven. Reminds me a bit of the Samanic selection, hopefully he is a little more ready than that. Wouldn’t surprise me if he spends time in the G League next season. Don’t hate the pick, just a bit surprised. Will be backing him in.

Ziaire Williams was the one I was hoping pre-draft but Memphis picked him up at 10. Wonder if we would’ve been interested in him. He seemed like a high reward pick too but was lower in most of the mocks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are we thinking this season? 30 wins is a success?

personally i think that would be about the mark could be less with injuries maybe a little bit more if we get a good run at it.

I'm going to assume the Aminu will be waived but i see the team balance being pretty good;

Guards/Wings;
Murray, White
both would lead the way and be around 18ppg with 5+ assists and both leading our defence.
Walker, Forbes, Vassell all capable of putting in 10+ppg
Not expecting much from Primo and maybe a bit of depth coverage from Tre Jones

Forwards/Wings:
Young, Johnson, McDermott
will be the main rotation who are all capable of putting in 12-15ppg
Bates-Diop will be able to offer a bit of depth support where needed as well.

Forwards/Centre:
Poeltl, Eubanks, Collins, Landale
will offer different looks at the BIG spots and should offer some flexibility but Poeltl will have the keys to the primary minutes slot due to his defensive anchor capabilities.

Thats 12 guys that i think can all contribute in various ways, problems i see is defence, outside of a Murray, White and Poeltl we will have some D-gaps. Another big question mark will who can lead/take over when things aren't going well? I really like Murray and White but they dont have the 'grab the bull by the horns' feel about them to me.

the x-factor for me is Luka Samanic, to this day i still hate that we took him over Brandon Clarke as Clarke felt like the right choice at the time and since then there have been some great standouts that went later(Thybulle, Porter Jr, Paschall, THT)...... BUT Samanic still has upside and I liked what I saw for Austin last year and he's still young, D-fence isn't going to ever be his thing but he dose have a few offensive weapons. I would love him to make a leap and see him lock down 20mins a game and give us around 8 and 6, that's hardly x-factor numbers i know but it might help cover what i would call a thinish big man rotation, particularly if Collins is a bit away from playing.

i am excited to see what the young core can do, who knows what we will do with Young, i feel holding him until the deadline is the right thing, we might be able to steal a pick or 2 off a contender but i dont see him playing the year out with the Spurs. AND most importantly I do not want to see any trading with the 6ers if Ben is involved!!

Looking forward to seeing Murray, White and Keldon step up, all are capable of averaging 20ppg.

Excited by the additions of Landale and Collins as well

Last edited:
Feels great beating the Dubs, but lets not get to carried away and keep our eye on the prize: A top 5 pick.

So long as Pop gets the wins record before he retires I'm happy.

Talk about a schizophrenic team... You'd hate to be betting on our games right now... Here are our last 14 results - with current records of the opposition:

14-15 Hawks = Loss
15-16 Celtics = Win
16-15 Wizards = Win
13-18 Blazers = Win
25-6 Warriors = Win
24-5 Suns = Loss
13-17 Knicks = Loss
15-14 Nuggets = Win
15-14 Nuggets = Loss
10-21 Pelicans = Win
16-17 Hornets = Loss
21-9 Jazz = Win
13-19 Kings = Loss
16-15 Clippers = Win

Ok, maybe not as schizo as I thought, but still rather unpredictable.

In a strange retrospective way, you'd have to say that all 6 losses in those 14 games were winnable, since we'd just beaten the Nuggets before we lost to them and the Suns defeat was only by 4 points.

So in dream-world, we could be 18-12 and ranked 4th in the West!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back