Discussion Jumpers That Never Were

Remove this Banner Ad

It wasn't a home and away match. It was part of the 2000 Ansett Cup (round robin pre-season comp).
The game was played at the MCG on the evening of 31 December 1999, and was billed as the "Millennium Match".

I understand that. We are talking about the current AFL logo, as seen on the chest of every AFL guernsey. In this thread we were talking about an Essendon training guernsey that has the current AFL logo on it. It was listed as being from the late '90s, but I said the current AFL logo was first used on guernseys in the year 2000.

GoldsbergGold said the current AFL logo was first worn in late 1999, so claimed the Essendon guernsey could be from that year. I asked which match in 1999 was the current AFL logo worn (instead of the AFL shield logo).

I would imagine the Millenium Match was the debut of the current AFL logo, but as seen it wasn't the plain AFL logo but the Millenium logo. And as you say, even though the match was on the last day of 1999, it was part of the 2000 pre-season. So any guernsey with the current AFL logo could only be from season 2000 at the earliest.

Current logo wasn’t on the kits, but was painted onto the turf. (Peep the first few seconds of this Here).

The logo was on the kits, but very tiny in the Millenium logo/patch.

381273B700000578-0-image-a-19_1473349072668.jpg

Current logo wasn’t on the kits, but was painted onto the turf. (Peep the first few seconds of this Here).
It was on The International Rules uniforms, first time appearing on 8th October 1999 and the Carlton/Collingwood players shorts in late 1999. You can see it says 1999 and has the current AFL logo on it. It's a slim chance Essendon wore it on their training jumpers in 99, but it was definitely first worn in some form at the end of that year. gettyimages-1011789-2048x2048.jpg gettyimages-1011806-2048x2048.jpg

Last edited:
Off topic so feel free to delete but is that Millennium Match the quickest cricket/football turnaround at the MCG or any venue?

The Boxing Day test would’ve gone from Dec 26-30 with the Millennium Maych starting a little more than 24hours later.
England had a day-night tour match at Adelaide Oval in 2017 that ended on Nov 11 and the next day there was an International Rules match at 3:40pm. The tour match only lasted 8 overs into the last day though, so probably a 25 hour turnaround.

England had a day-night tour match at Adelaide Oval in 2017 that ended on Nov 11 and the next day there was an International Rules match at 3:40pm. The tour match only lasted 8 overs into the last day though, so probably a 25 hour turnaround.

Came here to post this. My wedding was this day and it was at Adelaide Oval, meant we had the lights on for the evening and everyone got treated to getting to watch the pitch being replaced.

Not during the home and away season, it was after. It was on The International Rules 1999 uniforms and Collingwood and Carlton wore it in their Ansett Cup game on December 31st, 1999.

Ok, so look at it this way. The current AFL logo didn't debut until after the 1999 home and away season had finished. Any guernseys for any AFL team that have the current logo can only be from season 2000 at the earliest.

Carlton/Collingwood wearing it on their shorts is from pre-season 2000, even though technically the match was in 1999.

It certainly looks like the International Rules match in October 1999 was the debut of the new logo.

Any guernseys for any AFL team that have the current logo can only be from season 2000 at the earliest.
How is that? They were already printing the current logo onto The International Rules uniforms and Collingwood and Carlton's shorts in 1999. I think the Essendon training guernsey is from 2000, but there's some chance they may have worn it during late 1999 preseason training, especially since The Ansett Cup would start for the rest of the teams in January. I'd imagine there's even prototype guernseys with the current logo to showcase it from 1999.

How is that? They were already printing the current logo onto The International Rules uniforms and Collingwood and Carlton's shorts in 1999. I think the Essendon training guernsey is from 2000, but there's some chance they may have worn it during late 1999 preseason training, especially since The Ansett Cup would start for the rest of the teams in January. I'd imagine there's even prototype guernseys with the current logo to showcase it from 1999.

Season 1999 finishes after the grand final. After that, everything is gearing toward season 2000. If there is pre-season training happening in late-1999, it is for season 2000. So when you try and date a guernsey, you match it to what season it was worn in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The prototypes from that era have the weird shadow on the insides of the red which this Essendon jumper doesn't have.

1617544569519.png
1617544683206.png

Don't think this has been put in here.
Back in 2011 there was a competition for the creation of the GWS Canberra logo, above were some of the submissions.

1617544798526.png
Also there was also a competition in 2013 for what should become the Crows SANFL guernsey. Anyone could submit a design - all of the submissions were eventually narrowed to six designs and Design C was voted in by fans.

View attachment 1094127
View attachment 1094128

Don't think this has been put in here.
Back in 2011 there was a competition for the creation of the GWS Canberra logo, above were some of the submissions.
Y'know, to this day I still have no idea how they wanted people to vote for this. You say it was for the logo, but they had guernseys, coat of arms and regular, random logos thrown into a poll.
What would happen if the ACT coat of arms won? Would they just have the CoA on the guernsey and that's it?

I'd really like to know which College graduate comes up with half the trash that so called professional clubs churn out....
They aren't any of the talented people on these forums thats for sure.

Some of the clash and logo redesigns on here are incredible and I am surprised clubs or companies haven't headhunted off here.

To be fair, there is plenty of talent in the industry. The problem is negotiating around corporate partners, sponsors, club boards, traditionalists, the league itself, personal opinions and agendas or everyone in between. Even senior players have a say.

A lot of the time the best work is left on the cutting room floor and you are taking instructions from someone who likely has next to no idea.

Most people with half a creative brain can download photoshop or illustrator (or paint - kudos to those), download a template and deliver a concept.

The real magic is when the company/artist can negotiate their designs through the maze that is the approval process.

With a bit of respect, I think our board needs to cut actual industry artists some slack. I guarantee you any non-industry artist on here who got a job in the industry would be gutted with at least one final design they had to push through.

But thats just my 2 cents.

To be fair, there is plenty of talent in the industry. The problem is negotiating around corporate partners, sponsors, club boards, traditionalists, the league itself, personal opinions and agendas or everyone in between. Even senior players have a say.

A lot of the time the best work is left on the cutting room floor and you are taking instructions from someone who likely has next to no idea.

Most people with half a creative brain can download photoshop or illustrator (or paint - kudos to those), download a template and deliver a concept.

The real magic is when the company/artist can negotiate their designs through the maze that is the approval process.

With a bit of respect, I think our board needs to cut actual industry artists some slack. I guarantee you any non-industry artist on here who got a job in the industry would be gutted with at least one final design they had to push through.

this guy gets it.

🙌

Remove this Banner Ad

Back