Geelong - Too old, too slow?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cats will be criticised all week before responding by giving WC a pasting.

We'll see but the script for this rivalry in recent times has been:

In Perth - Eagles just over the line
In Geelong - Cats in an absolute smashing.

If it follows the recent pattern it will be interesting to see how many pundits quickly change their tune about Geelong's prospects for 2021.

If it follows the recent pattern it will be interesting to see how many pundits quickly change their tune about Geelong's prospects for 2021.

Given how reactionary the media is anything is possible.

I think the issue is that WC probably won't bring the kind of pressure that has at times made Geelong look uncomfortable this season.

The Cats just have to keep banking these ugly 4 points. The form will come when the real business kicks off. 3-2 is just fine at this stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good draw coming up for Cats. WC vulnerable away. Sydney due to come back to pack and will lift big time for GF rematch.

good draw? they've played north, adelaide (spooners), melbourne (expected to be bad), hawthorn and brisbane (at home and should have lost)

if you were looking at that draw before the season started there's only one half decent team and they get them on their own dungheap. how soft is this cats draw if it gets easier from here??

Yeah next two weeks key. I think both games match up pretty well for Geelong (West Coast basically can't win down there, whereas I think they're well primed to cut off Sydney at the SCG), so should be winning both.

3-2 is a decent start on paper but they've been a really unimpressive 3-2 side. Only beating North by 5 goals in Geelong is not a good sign, and the other two games they could easily have lost.

The Cats just have to keep banking these ugly 4 points. The form will come when the real business kicks off. 3-2 is just fine at this stage.

Yeah, I think Richmond's start in the last two flag seasons has been underwhelming, but they've earned the respect that they'll be there when it counts. I feel like Geelong's earned the respect that they'll get to a top 4/top 6 spot, but not take that final step.

I look back at seasons like 2014, where we finished top 4, but with a poor percentage in an exhausting H&A campaign where everything seemed like a struggle and we ultimately went out in straight sets. Or 2019 where we started like a house on fire in the first half and somehow finished on top despite a three month long W/L/W/L picket fence which continued into the finals with the patented Geelong s**t the bed QF, before a bit of redemption in the SF and then losing the PF.

We actually started in a similar fashion in 2011, looking absolutely dreadful at times before hitting our groove. Difference being, we somehow scratched out those early wins without a bad performance costing us a loss and then when things started to click, we ultimately went like 12-0 before our first loss. The 2011 Cats would have found a way to steal that Round 1 win against Adelaide.

I think we're going to beat West Coast to go to 4-2 and put pressure on the top 4 and after that I honestly don't know what to make of this crew. Nothing new but truly worrying signs at the MCG, being comprehensively dismantled by Melbourne and almost losing to a truly awful Hawthorn side, who I personally think is every bit as bad as North (admittedly from the ebb and flow of that game, we probably won by about 2-4 goals, but that isn't what the results say).

Yeah, I think Richmond's start in the last two flag seasons has been underwhelming, but they've earned the respect that they'll be there when it counts. I feel like Geelong's earned the respect that they'll get to a top 4/top 6 spot, but not take that final step.

I look back at seasons like 2014, where we finished top 4, but with a poor percentage in an exhausting H&A campaign where everything seemed like a struggle and we ultimately went out in straight sets. Or 2019 where we started like a house on fire in the first half and somehow finished on top despite a three month long W/L/W/L picket fence which continued into the finals with the patented Geelong sh*t the bed QF, before a bit of redemption in the SF and then losing the PF.

We actually started in a similar fashion in 2011, looking absolutely dreadful at times before hitting our groove. Difference being, we somehow scratched out those early wins without a bad performance costing us a loss and then when things started to click, we ultimately went like 12-0 before our first loss. The 2011 Cats would have found a way to steal that Round 1 win against Adelaide.

I think we're going to beat West Coast to go to 4-2 and put pressure on the top 4 and after that I honestly don't know what to make of this crew. Nothing new but truly worrying signs at the MCG, being comprehensively dismantled by Melbourne and almost losing to a truly awful Hawthorn side, who I personally think is every bit as bad as North (admittedly from the ebb and flow of that game, we probably won by about 2-4 goals, but that isn't what the results say).

given what you've said, that reflects worse on west coast than anything about geelong. west coast should win, but then they capitulated horribly against st kilda.

west coast looked like a million bucks against us, but is that because they were amazing or because we came out completely flat?

it's hard to know what's going on at the moment. ump pays that free kick against brisbane and its 2-3 with the 2 wins being against hawthorn (barely) and north and you'd think bottom 6 side.

given what you've said, that reflects worse on west coast than anything about geelong. west coast should win, but then they capitulated horribly against st kilda.

west coast looked like a million bucks against us, but is that because they were amazing or because we came out completely flat?

it's hard to know what's going on at the moment. ump pays that free kick against brisbane and its 2-3 with the 2 wins being against hawthorn (barely) and north and you'd think bottom 6 side.

I appreciate that it's hard to put the end of the Brisbane game aside, but given the general flow of each game, I'd say we've won the games we should have and lost the games we should have.

Hawkins missed a regulation opportunity in Round 1 to put us within a kick with like four minutes left, if he kicks that, would the Crows have held their nerve? Yeah, we could easily be 2-3 right now, but we could almost as easily be 4-1. That's going to happen during a season. Most teams need a bit of luck to go their way.

I appreciate that it's hard to put the end of the Brisbane game aside, but given the general flow of each game, I'd say we've won the games we should have and lost the games we should have.

Hawkins missed a regulation opportunity in Round 1 to put us within a kick with like four minutes left, if he kicks that, would the Crows have held their nerve? Yeah, we could easily be 2-3 right now, but we could almost as easily be 4-1. That's going to happen during a season. Most teams need a bit of luck to go their way.

fair enough, i did think brisbane were the better side in that last quarter. hawthorn would have been pinching it if they somehow got up.

the top 4 teams from last year do seem to be just struggling a bit early on. not sure if its just the slightly shortened pre-season or the game style. bulldogs look a million bucks at the moment and only had a couple of weeks extra.

the game has changed this year and i don't think geelong's game style stacks up at all. not yet particularly convinced ours does either.

fair enough, i did think brisbane were the better side in that last quarter. hawthorn would have been pinching it if they somehow got up.

the top 4 teams from last year do seem to be just struggling a bit early on. not sure if its just the slightly shortened pre-season or the game style. bulldogs look a million bucks at the moment and only had a couple of weeks extra.

the game has changed this year and i don't think geelong's game style stacks up at all. not yet particularly convinced ours does either.

You're not convinced about Port's style? You just played game of the year and beat the reigning premiers.

Yeah, I know you did that last year and came up short in the finals, but outside the WCE hiccup, you guys are cruising.

I thought the short pre-season might have had us playing catch up for the first 3-4 weeks, but we're now at Round 5 and we put up that display against the worst team in the comp. I'd be much more worried about the Cats than the Power.

GMHBA stadium alongside SCH hands down the weirdest ovals in the league. The former being too skinny and the latter too fat in width compared to MCG or Optus or even Adelaide Oval/ Marvel. So yes, teams like the Eagles who come to Geelong once a year are not going to change their game style so it works in that shitty ground. who cares if you have a winning record in Geelong, finals are played at The G, have a plan that stands up in the G hence why Optus dimensions are similar to the G for Eagles. And yes, GMHBA is way too thin on width which means many teams kick out of bounce on the full. Geelong rarely loses here to any team so nothing special if they win next week, they remain an average team this year. They look cooked especially against fast teams like demons and god forbid dogs will eat them alive. should have lost to lions and barely won against Hawks. I hope they get spanked this week in Geelong with both Cameron and Danger playing. How do they get two Geelong games in a row?? Geelong reminds of Lions post dynasty going after fev and Brayshaw to win more flags and it backfired big time. Could happen to Geelong. already lost their list manager.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back