Preview Changes: R6 2021 v Hawthorn in Tasmania

Remove this Banner Ad

In: Hately, Himmelberg
Out: Fogarty, Frampton

At the risk of receiving the wrath of the ProFog crowd on Big Footy, Barring any injuries, these 2 changes make the most sense. Gets our forward structure back to more what it looked like in the first couple of rounds. Gets in a bigger bodied mid to help cover the loss of Sloane.

Fogarty out is a definite, he didn't work in the midfield, he didn't work forward. If Hately were fit that'd be the first change I'd make this week, but he isn't, so I'm at a loss. Is he fit? He didn't play in the SANFL, but I don't see him on the injury list, or anything about a suspension, what's happening there?

We also need to pick a defender who isn't Butts or Doedee, and drop them for a second genuine KPD, Worrell being the presumptive in.

I'd also end the Ned McHenry trial, and bring in someone else. Maybe it's a Pedlar, maybe it's a Newchurch, depends where we want to play him most.

Or perhaps Newchurch for Macadam? Couple of pretty ordinary performance in a row, playing from behind and not doing the ground stuff.

Hately was best in Sanfl last week and was the emergency today so left out of yesterday’s match

We had only 6 guys in our team having played 50 games or more today, and one of them was Keays on 51.

Overall, I’m happy with how we’re traveling... but I’d do this

In: Himmelberg, Worrell, Hately, Thrillthorpe
Out: Frampton, Lynch (inj), McAdam (inj), Walker (inj)

B: Brown, Butts, Kelly
HB: Smith, Worrell, Doedee
C: Sholl, Keays, Seedsman
HF: McHenry, Thrillthorpe, Murphy
F: Rowe, Fogarty, Himmelberg
R: O'Brien, Hately, Laird
I: McPherson, Schoenberg, Hamill, Berry

I’d usually take Mackay as medical sub but just maybe for this match I take Jones and whisper to him, “you are free”

Berg for Frampton

Hately for Lynch with Fog playing the Lynch role

Would like to see Worrell come in, be great to have him developed to be Doedee like player and allow Dude some minutes in the middle.

Would like to have Newchurch in up forward to create some havoc, I don't think Rowe+McHenry+Murphy is the right balance

Am I the only one who doesn't really care about SANFL form?

Our SANFL team is lead by a guy who retired 3 years ago and another who retired 7 years ago! The team is then rounded out by guys who are no good but we haven't been able to delist yet, children and top-ups.

How form in these games translates in any way to AFL readiness is beyond me.

Am I the only one who doesn't really care about SANFL form?

Our SANFL team is lead by a guy who retired 3 years ago and another who retired 7 years ago! The team is then rounded out by guys who are no good but we haven't been able to delist yet, children and top-ups.

How form in these games translates in any way to AFL readiness is beyond me.
But shouldn't our AFL guys be able to do better then dudes retired 3/7 years ago and others that aren't on an AFL list or selected by any other SANFL club? Positional players it's far more difficult when our team gets pantsed but we've got more than just positional players at that level not playing to the level they should be capable of.

McAdam should go for mine, needs far more consistency/presence where he remains a non factor in the wrong positions when it does go near him. I don't get why he's our deepest forward, kind of the old JJ one but instead of trying to out run them it feels like he'll just go for a hanger. Certainly want to see him come back as I think he has plenty of x factor about him but he's not playing good football right now.

Frampton started alright for mine but a couple of terrible kicks inside 50 along with the missed goal (out of the full) is enough that we have to give someone else a crack. If it's not Himmelberg (so TT) then I don't know who goes into the ruck when O'Brien needs a rest. It's a minor problem but we have to throw someone in and I'm not sure who it could be.

-------------------

Kelly was actually really good for mine, one of the best games I've seen from him as a Crow. Rather he didn't have the ball in his hands offensively so much but he did his job really well.

McPherson kind of reminds me of Brown. I recall when we drafted Brown there was talk that he was an attacking half back flanker and yet we've never seen that from him at AFL level. McPherson is kind of off to a similar start in that sense. Feel like he's done alright defensively, had some match ups that he was punching well above his weight and it showed at times but great experience nonetheless.

Fog is the other one I don't know what to make of. His attack and aggression is so good to see yet we just can't seem to find a way to get him more involved in games/he goes missing a lot. Struggles to really find the ball in the midfield in his first couple of cracks and going forward he isn't much of a presence so far. His kicking is so pure though, on goal it's clean and he's like Tex when he gets it up the field, kick it in deep quick and fast to actually help the forward. Doesn't seem to have the speed/fitness to be a midfielder and not quite the height to be a key forward, he's a really awkward player. I want us to keep persisting with him as there's some serious talent in there, I just don't know how we get the most out of him.

Edit:

On Tex, I missed the first 5-7 minutes of the 3rd quarter when he may have hurt himself? Outside of that, I just didn't think he had a great opportunity to impact the game from the entries forward and where he was for the most part. Got stuck on the bench for 10 minutes to end the second quarter too, I'm hoping it was just starved of opportunity rather than an injury as he's been in amazing form so far this year and our forward line minus him looks pretty bleak.

Last edited:
But shouldn't our AFL guys be able to do better then dudes retired 3/7 years ago and others that aren't on an AFL list or selected by any other SANFL club? Positional players it's far more difficult when our team gets pantsed but we've got more than just positional players at that level not playing to the level they should be capable of.
Yeah..i agree with both of you as with better service for example thilthorpe might have quite a better stat line at AFL level.than SANFL as it would allow him to show what ge can do. But in the same breath chayce jones had 5 touches yesterday. If he was injured then i stand corrected but for an AFL 1st round pick with 3 years of AFL preseasons and training to get 5 touches is god awful. Its less that all the top up players running around out there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our SANFL side has always lived and died based on how big our injury list was and what our team make up was like. We had a very senior side in 2016/17 when our SANFL side did well, we had guys like Mitch Grigg, CEY, Scott Thompson, Andy Otten, Jono Beech, Kyle Cheney, Troy Menzel and Paul Seedsman backing up our young guys like Jordan Gallucci, Myles Poholke, Dean Gore, Tom Doedee and Elliot Himmelberg.

Now we've basically got David Mackay and Matthew Wright backing up our young guys. We probably had 7-8 players under the age of 20 in our SANFL side, to expect that + another 8-9 top up players to perform well against a mature side which contains several ex-AFL players is a bit much.

McPherson is nowhere near the axe. Had a 23 disposal, 4 mark, 7 intercept and 415 meters gained game against North. Struggled this week, but has shown enough in his brief career you persist with.
Mate I like McPherson but he was garbage last week. These stats are all meaningless, did you even watch the game? He was a turnover machine. Stats are so overrated these days, this is a prime example.

Mate I like McPherson but he was garbage last week. These stats are all meaningless, did you even watch the game? He was a turnover machine. Stats are so overrated these days, this is a prime example.

I did, and for the most part he was solid for a then 13 game player. Defended well, and did well getting involved.

I can forgive turnovers for a 10-20 game player if they're willing to take the game on and for the most part McPherson was.

Stats are also not overrated, and if anything, it's gone the other way. Use them properly and they tell you in a decently comprehensive way what a player did in a game. Especially as in the end of the day, no one will have a long career if what they're doing isn't translating to the stat sheet.

Last edited:
On McPherson, can anyone clarify whether he is playing a different position this year?
My vague memory of him last year is that he seemed to be playing HBF, competing with players of similar height. This year, he seems to be playing much deeper, competing in a lot of traffic, including against much bigger players. He seems less comfortable this year.

Yes... Fogarty was completely invisible for most of it, and only McAdam & Frampton had less of the ball than he did. That's rarified atmosphere, right there. Fogarty is a liability in most games, particularly today. We should have been playing Hately in his position - at least we wouldn't have been short one midfielder if we had done so.

so you don’t watch the game today

I lost interest in this season at the selection on Saturday. When we realise the season is gone and need to back in the kids I'll re-engage.

I like how we ensured a midfielder that needs match fitness didn't get any so we could wait till the last minute to see if Jake ******* Kelly was good to go. Makes perfect sense to me.

Frampton definite out and lynch, McAdam would be borderline.

Anyone suggesting we drop Fogarty is just being idiotic again. We are rebuilding, the kid has more talent than most of our players in his left finger - we need to see if he can make it out not.

Frampton definite out and lynch, McAdam would be borderline.

Anyone suggesting we drop Fogarty is just being idiotic again. We are rebuilding, the kid has more talent than most of our players in his left finger - we need to see if he can make it out not.

We're not rebuilding, we've finished that. We're now contending with this group.

Seeing it's been a decent 5 weeks on the scoreboard, there's little doubt we'll back this group in. I expect only the inexperienced injured players to miss, so McAdam will be out. It should be a mid replacing him as Fog replaced Sloane, so it's either Hately or Mackay. That's the totality of our selection discussion this week, Hately or Mackay for injured McAdam.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back