Autopsy Autopsy vs Geelong - Round 5, 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gone north

Team Captain
Jun 10, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just wondering if anyone knows or where to find Patrick Dangerfields disposal efficiency %?

Noticing a lot of media chat about him and from what I noticed maybe he had 5? Effective touches from 22

Just wondering if anyone knows or where to find Patrick Dangerfields disposal efficiency %?

Noticing a lot of media chat about him and from what I noticed maybe he had 5? Effective touches from 22
46% according to the afl app. Only 75 supercoach points which is on the low side for 20+ disposals and usually indicates poor ball use.

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
2 changes are guaranteed (Lazarro and Hall)

Then you have the compete and utter trollop being dished up by Mahony, Young (didn’t we draft him for his kicking?), Campbell (good for structure but surely we go with the younger option, in Xerri, you know the one with a future).

So there is 5.

It’s literally only another two changes on top of the 5 obvious ones.

Spicer could not possibly be a worse kick or make worse decisions than Mahony is currently making.

And given the absolute fraudulence of our forward line, I’m not sure we have anything else to lose by adding in some options... I want to see Ford and McGuinness, why not trial them on a big open ground against a relatively young and inexperienced team.

These sorts of games are worth 10-15 to a youngsters development.

In any case, I can understand why people wouldn’t want so many changes, but I’m of the opinion that the back line looks sustainable, the midfield has a future beyond Goldy yet our forward line is a clueter* and from the limited time/highlights of seen of VFL- McGuinness looks ok - I want to see him get a crack and see if adding another taller mobile options helps Larks.

Mahony had a poor game by foot, but I can only assume you haven't seen Spicer play if you think things can't be worse
I didn't watch all of yesterdays VFL game, but the bits I saw he looked out of his depth. Unless he improves markedly I'd be surprised if we see him this year.

One thing I noticed with Laz was he blasted a ball to the spare defender on one entry, next entry he hit up a lead, showed he learnt from the passage before.
Noticed that too. I think its an excellent sign. (I think if he becomes the player we think he can become Geelong will chase him too.)

And given the absolute fraudulence of our forward line, I’m not sure we have anything else to lose by adding in some options... I want to see Ford and McGuinness, why not trial them on a big open ground against a relatively young and inexperienced team.

I am pretty confident you'll see them, but mass changes ain't really a thing, especially after what looks like our best hit out this year.

With all the deficency in our game, the team that played yesterday acquitted themselves better than other teams we have sent down the highway.

If we had the depth to be sending some of the kids back to VFL I doubt they'd have been in in the first place.

Um, yes he really could. Have you watched any VFL?
However, very good chance you wouldn't see it because he struggles to get his hands on the football.
Did he even touch the ball in the first half?

Playing Spicer now would be feeding him to the wolves. He has shown 4/5ths of FA at VFL level.

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Perfect.

We'll win the spoon without making 7 changes.

So it has me thinking that changes are pretty f***ing arbitrary at the moment.

Let's get moar kids in so we have someone new to tear to shreds in a few weeks.

I don’t think people are tearing shreds off anybody. Everyone is fairly happy this morning after yesterday’s performance.

Mahony being dropped isn’t the end of his career, the bloke is lucky to find his foot with a kick at the moment, playing him is just going to ruin what little confidence he has remaining.

Turner hasn’t had a kick all year, he tagged a cooked Selwood (who lets face it doesn’t need tagging) if Turner could actually tag, he would have been on Tom Stewart or someone who rips us apart. Doesn’t deserve to be dropped but is still woefully out of form and an absolute crab of the highest order.

I didn’t even drop Hayden, which I could have comfortably as his kicking is horrendous. I gave him extra points and free pass for crushing Danger though. But he could easily have been change number 8.

Walker was ordinary, Campbell is ordinary and for senior players both make dumb decisions consistently. I’m happy to see what McGuinness and Xerri bring to the table given they are both kicking goals in the 2’s apparently.

Um, yes he really could. Have you watched any VFL?
However, very good chance you wouldn't see it because he struggles to get his hands on the football.

Never have and never will.

I refuse to watch any football that doesn’t include the North Melbourne Men’s AFL team. The sport, by and large is dead to me.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So after a night's rest to think about it, my thoughts are:

Good signs overall. They foundthe capacity to respond when the heat came on (eg Stephenson's goal in the third) and then kept punching in the last quarter to keep things reasonable.There were many good individual performances but hanging together as a group was the biggest plus.

On the individual performances, obviously Cunners was titanic. With Ziebell, I don't get the criticisms - thought he was good, and the overall stats bear it out. McKay is doing the job each week on the best forward, and even with injuries, we are finding players - Bonar is now a lock best 22 and Atu showed composure, dash and hardness. Powell's hands - my god, a thing of beauty, and he's got toe as well (loved the chase with Isaac Smith at one stage to kill the ball). Turner as a tagger has been a great move - finds a role for a seasoned player without exposing his limitations by foot. Good coaching.

Still scope for improvement even with injuries. Mahony is going to have tidy up his foot skills if he's going to be an AFL player - I'm not putting a line through him as a 19 year old, but a player of his type who is not an elite user will not prosper at the level. Campbell is giving solid service in the ruck, but he is not going to take the contested marks at this level like he does in the VFL - at the lower level, his contest marking comes from being the immoveable 'man mountain' - he doesn't jump. At the AFL level, Campbell finds better athletes who are both big AND can jump, so he is continually getting spoiled.

All that said, I don't expect many changes for next week. Noble is building a system, which means so long as he gets effort, he will go with continuity. He said in his presser that Zurhaar and LDU will come in next week, so obviously one of them comes in for Hall, and I think Mahony could do with a spell in the 2s to work on his kicking. People will be calling for more changes, but Xerri and Garner will have to keep knocking for another week.

Am I taking crazy pills or was Tom Campbell okay yesterday?

I wouldn't drop him on yesterday's performance, unless we had a much better option banging down the door behind him.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Am I taking crazy pills or was Tom Campbell okay yesterday?

I wouldn't drop him on yesterday's performance, unless we had a much better option banging down the door behind him.

Got his hands to a few, crashed packs, and clunked a couple. Also allows Goldy into the forwardline who has really good running patterns.

A cardboard cutout. I don’t care.

They are not the future, every second of game time they chew up with their fraudulence and ineptitude gets us nowhere.

They are all potatoes, we are better off pumping games into Xerri, McGuinness and Spicer. Ford, Will Walker, anyone returning (we do have 8 best 22 players out currently)

“Ineptitude” is cruel but, possibly, a fair assessment. However, “fraudulence” needs more explanation.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
Better performance but the cats wayward kicking for goal probably made it look better than what it was.

Pros

McKay is killing it
Bonar is improving each week and intercepting well
Cunners is back to his brilliant best
Goldy just keeps going
Stevo worked hard both ways
Young battled well
Curtis busted a gut when he came on
Atu showed something and loved his attack on the ball
Ziebs and Jy held us together well

Cons

Fumbles fumbles and more fumbles
Kicking into our forwards
Mahoney you’re short and slow - you’ve got to kick those goals.
Scott was unsighted for huge portions of the game and when he did get it he turned it over.
Hayden needs to improve his decision making and his skills.
Campbell isn’t the answer and it’s Xerri time.
Does atley get bonuses the longer he stands still with ball in hand.

I don’t think people are tearing shreds off anybody. Everyone is fairly happy this morning after yesterday’s performance.

Mahony being dropped isn’t the end of his career, the bloke is lucky to find his foot with a kick at the moment, playing him is just going to ruin what little confidence he has remaining.

Turner hasn’t had a kick all year, he tagged a cooked Selwood (who lets face it doesn’t need tagging) if Turner could actually tag, he would have been on Tom Stewart or someone who rips us apart. Doesn’t deserve to be dropped but is still woefully out of form and an absolute crab of the highest order.

I didn’t even drop Hayden, which I could have comfortably as his kicking is horrendous. I gave him extra points and free pass for crushing Danger though. But he could easily have been change number 8.

Walker was ordinary, Campbell is ordinary and for senior players both make dumb decisions consistently. I’m happy to see what McGuinness and Xerri bring to the table given they are both kicking goals in the 2’s apparently.

Name names then of who you replace these players with that make us better?

The Brownlow medallists we are keeping at VFL level for no apparent reason?

If we had the depth to be giving kids more time in the VFL we would probably be doing that.

Our injury list and our list cuts last year mean there is SFA mature bodies to come in. We have kids that are out of their depth at VFL level.

You need more of a reason to bring players in than just because you want to see them. There will be 3 changes 4 at the very outside.

Some of our kids are gonna have to tough it out in the seniors. It is the reality of where we are at list and injury wise.

CharlieMortdecai

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I refuse to watch any football that doesn’t include the North Melbourne Men’s AFL team. The sport, by and large is dead to me.
Well you can take it as read that if Spicer got a call up at this time you'd be putting a line through him as well.
He and Mahony both need some time developing at VFL level, but Mahony is well ahead of him at the moment.

Mahony is about sixteen times the AFL footballer Spicy P is. Spicy P probably has more tricks, but the trouble is actually getting your hands on the footy. Spicer just cannot do it. I don't think it's a thing that would be fixed by having him in an AFL team with better ball movement either, he is just allergic to getting the footy

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
2 changes are guaranteed (Lazarro and Hall)

Then you have the compete and utter trollop being dished up by Mahony, Young (didn’t we draft him for his kicking?), Campbell (good for structure but surely we go with the younger option, in Xerri, you know the one with a future).

So there is 5.

It’s literally only another two changes on top of the 5 obvious ones.

Spicer could not possibly be a worse kick or make worse decisions than Mahony is currently making.

These sorts of games are worth 10-15 to a youngsters development.

In any case, I can understand why people wouldn’t want so many changes, but I’m of the opinion that the back line looks sustainable, the midfield has a future beyond Goldy yet our forward line is a clueterfu** and from the limited time/highlights of seen of VFL- McGuinness looks ok - I want to see him get a crack and see if adding another taller mobile options helps Larks.
there won't be 5 changes, so save your energy

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Maybe a cup of camomile tea is the order of the day for you.

Perfect.

We'll win the spoon without making 7 changes.

So it has me thinking that changes are pretty f***ing arbitrary at the moment.

Let's get moar kids in so we have someone new to tear to shreds in a few weeks.
Can you imagine how awesome it would be if we were so bad that we needed about 6 priority picks and all our good players decided to leave? We'd have so many draft picks.

spurs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 2, 2003
Perth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
THFC, Claremont Tigers
Name names then of who you replace these players with that make us better?

The Brownlow medallists we are keeping at VFL level for no apparent reason?

If we had the depth to be giving kids more time in the VFL we would probably be doing that.

Our injury list and our list cuts last year mean there is SFA mature bodies to come in. We have kids that are out of their depth at VFL level.

You need more of a reason to bring players in than just because you want to see them. There will be 3 changes 4 at the very outside.

Some of our kids are gonna have to tough it out in the seniors. It is the reality of where we are at list and injury wise.

What a disgraceful position to be in. You're saying that we can't drop a player because he is playing s**t football? No wonder we are last. I would drop Mahoney for Garner. At least Garner is playing reasonable footy in the 2's and provide more physicality. He can kick a ball more than 30 metres which would help.

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Mahony is about sixteen times the AFL footballer Spicy P is. Spicy P probably has more tricks, but the trouble is actually getting your hands on the footy. Spicer just cannot do it. I don't think it's a thing that would be fixed by having him in an AFL team with better ball movement either, he is just allergic to getting the footy

This all makes sense, Adolf.

But let’s take a deeper dive, is the net result of Mahony attracting the ball furthering the cause of the NMFC. Would we actually be better off without Mahony receiving the ball or better yet, is the act of Mahony receiving the ball in space an allowance made by the opposition coach?

The second shot at goal from 35m out which missed the point post by 15m suggests we may be better off with spicy’s Zero Touches and inferred pressure due to having, you know, the two things you ******* need as a small forward, SPEED & TRICKS.

Mahony was good last year and has been pus so far this year. It’s ok to say this, it’s not putting s**t on young players to suggest a run in the twos for confidence might do them the world of good, same goes for RobZombie, we can’t attract high quality footballers, the only way we can get them is through the Draft. Yay, let’s bag the draft.

Literally our only hope of ever seeing another premiership is to get lucky with the draft and you are bagging it. For all those spreadsheet and game theory analysis (which I like), you’re missing the section which reads, we no longer have the greatest development program in the league (U19s circa 1984-1993), we are a dynamically run boutique operation. Our best bet is to sell the farm and hope that the muppets don’t make any more errors at selection (Mahony over Rivers and Phillips over Cox) as we flat out can’t afford any more ******* disasters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back