List Mgmt. 2021 Trade Targets

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
How are ruckmen less effective now? We're two weeks removed from Nicnat tearing us a new one.
Good ruckman will always be effective, arguably with less rotations and a faster paced game playing 2 ruckman may be harder to justify.

Thats especially true when your second ruckman gets smashed by an opposition key forward in the ruck (Ladhams V Allen from that WCE game), if your second ruck can comfortably beat the opposition make s**t ruck then you aren't getting the benefit you should from two rucks.

Ladhams as we know has freakish mobility and run for a ruckman so has what you'd want athletically if playing 2 rucks, but really needs to lift his game and make sure he is both giving as an advantage in the middle when competing against a part time ruck and is competitive up forward. Maybe a goal a game, crashing packs, bring the ball around and freeing up our other key forwards.

Imhotep

Team Captain
Mar 10, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Good ruckman will always be effective, arguably with less rotations and a faster paced game playing 2 ruckman may be harder to justify.

Thats especially true when your second ruckman gets smashed by an opposition key forward in the ruck (Ladhams V Allen from that WCE game), if your second ruck can comfortably beat the opposition make sh*t ruck then you aren't getting the benefit you should from two rucks.

Ladhams as we know has freakish mobility and run for a ruckman so has what you'd want athletically if playing 2 rucks, but really needs to lift his game and make sure he is both giving as an advantage in the middle when competing against a part time ruck and is competitive up forward. Maybe a goal a game, crashing packs, bring the ball around and freeing up our other key forwards.
His best position imo is as a sole ruck who can become another mid once the balls on the deck. He's not good enough as a forward flies against our other talls doesn't lead and just gets in the way to often. Dixon's form dropped once lycett and Marshall were both back last year and I think that was mostly due to ladhams playing as a third tall.

davesnothere

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
His best position imo is as a sole ruck who can become another mid once the balls on the deck. He's not good enough as a forward flies against our other talls doesn't lead and just gets in the way to often. Dixon's form dropped once lycett and Marshall were both back last year and I think that was mostly due to ladhams playing as a third tall.

Charlies form has dropped because he hasn't made the most of the opportunities he has had.
Ladhams as a sole ruck isn't going to work but mobile 2nd ruck no problems there's a spot once he gets touch back in the sanfl.
We need Hayes and Lycett to sort out who our first ruck should be and once that's sorted look at Ladhams again.

How are ruckmen less effective now? We're two weeks removed from Nicnat tearing us a new one.

Did he? He had 26 hit outs to Lycett 24. Only 11 touches too.

It was their midfield roving Lycetts taps that was the issue. No goals either.

Gawn himself has said ruckman are having to reinvent themselves up forward or in defence to have an effect. If they can't do that, they are a bollard.

backtozero

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Gawn himself has said ruckman are having to reinvent themselves up forward or in defence to have an effect. If they can't do that, they are a bollard.

Why though? There's nothing stopping them from impacting contests, certainly not the stand rule.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Thats true, their mids were great, but good Lord, NicNat's taps were perfection! Look beyond the stats. Lycett tries to outbody his opponent, but his tap work is ordinary, and is telegraphed. Naitanui was pin-pointing them everywhere ... Over his head, left, right, in front, straight to his running mids. It was a rucking masterclass.

davesnothere

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Exactly, so given how he should have 5 years and we’ve Hayes and Ladhams, use him as part of any getting picks or a direct trade with Essendon if required.

No way Lycett leaves SA unless his family situation has changed?
We are not trading a Ruck unless someone specifically wanted to leave.

Jan 16, 2009
Heaps good
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies, Bulls & Cricket Aus
His mother is quite ill (with MS) and Zach has previously said publicly that he wants to remain in close vicinity to her. That's why think he will stay in Vic, not necessarily with us mind you.

Take with a grain of salt though. its not like a flight from Adelaide to Melbourne is long so it could mean nothing.
Best mates mum is 70 and was with us till stumps at my bucks last week. Having MS doesn’t mean you are acutely unwell.

Best mates mum is 70 and was with us till stumps at my bucks last week. Having MS doesn’t mean you are acutely unwell.

i'm no expert on MS but zach's mum is not well.

Lycett is 28 dude lol

With Hayes showing good form and ruckman looking less effective under the new rules it would have made alot of sense. It did at the time, and now it makes even more sense with the rule changes.
Wait, what? Lycett is 28?
I genuinely though he was 31/32!

Powertron

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I thought Sam Petroski Seton would become a superstar contested inside out mid. Didn't happen. He is now a hack back flanker. Out of contract, he would have very little trade value. I'd get him in the proviso port could get him fit and play him as a mid.

with all Carlton players it’s a matter of how much of their original potential is lost during their 4-5 years of little to no development?

Those early years are critical in setting both on and off field standards that set the player up to reach their peak in prime age years 23 - 28.

You can’t catch that stuff up, I think he’s at best a 15 - 30 player on a list.

Imhotep

Team Captain
Mar 10, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I thought Sam Petroski Seton would become a superstar contested inside out mid. Didn't happen. He is now a hack back flanker. Out of contract, he would have very little trade value. I'd get him in the proviso port could get him fit and play him as a mid.
How many failed top ten picks who can't own a position at a club even though they are picked every week make it at their second club? Jack watts, jack trengrove, Sam mayes that's three attempts over the last five years. Clubs are best off cycling through youth even later draft picks, i mean we have gotten more value from later picks than we have ever gotten bringing in others failed players.

backtozero

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
How many failed top ten picks who can't own a position at a club even though they are picked every week make it at their second club? Jack watts, jack trengrove, Sam mayes that's three attempts over the last five years. Clubs are best off cycling through youth even later draft picks, i mean we have gotten more value from later picks than we have ever gotten bringing in others failed players.

It is Carlton though.

It Just Is

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2012
On cloud 9
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Can suck it!
I’m not sure being pre-draft best mates with Sam Powell-Pepper is a tick on his CV at the moment

I quite like SPS and like most of the football world think he's being wrongly utilised by Carlton. I can see what they are trying to do with him but its not working. I'd be keen to get him across and think he'd be a good fit for our midfield.

JakeNeadeFan

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Once an unpopular opinion, probably less so now, but I've seen enough of Pete Ladhams.

He will never be a good forward ruck. He is a poor contested mark and a poor set shot kick at goal. On the weekend against Glenelg he had 0 contested marks and kicks 0.3. The only thing I was thinking watching the game is that him being in the sanfl team is to the detriment of Hayes development.

Even as a number 1 ruckman I think his ceiling is somewhere around a Reilly O'Brien level without the contested marking. His tapwork is poor and he isn't good behind the ball or ahead of it. I see Hayes as being a much better ruck prospect and the thought of him being behind Ladhams in the pecking order is disheartening.

Sydney still need a young ruckman and at the moment aren't playing Dylan Stephens. I wonder if there is a mutually beneficial trade there? We get a young blue chip mid to replace Boak and co, Sydney get a serviceable young ruck to replace Hickey and Sinclair.

big boy jackavoy

Senior List
Oct 4, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Once an unpopular opinion, probably less so now, but I've seen enough of Pete Ladhams.

He will never be a good forward ruck. He is a poor contested mark and a poor set shot kick at goal. On the weekend against Glenelg he had 0 contested marks and kicks 0.3. The only thing I was thinking watching the game is that him being in the sanfl team is to the detriment of Hayes development.

Even as a number 1 ruckman I think his ceiling is somewhere around a Reilly O'Brien level without the contested marking. His tapwork is poor and he isn't good behind the ball or ahead of it. I see Hayes as being a much better ruck prospect and the thought of him being behind Ladhams in the pecking order is disheartening.

Sydney still need a young ruckman and at the moment aren't playing Dylan Stephens. I wonder if there is a mutually beneficial trade there? We get a young blue chip mid to replace Boak and co, Sydney get a serviceable young ruck to replace Hickey and Sinclair.
Or maybe he’s a part of a Gold Coast trade for 1 of Lukosius or rankine it is certainly worth entertaining.

Back