Player Watch Jaeger O'Meara 2021 (Rolling into year 5)

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If O’Meara keeps playing the way he is, he will start getting more attention in the midfield. He is essentially our sole drive out of the centre bounces and stoppages.

O’Meara at the top of our list with 41 clearances. Next best is Mitchell on 16.
he's in incredible form at the minute. Would love if he had a little more support but I'm not sure who it can come from given the regulars around him.

On Topic

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He had three score involvements yesterday. His clearances don’t lead to anything. I think we may be setting up for JOM to win a lot of clearances (so not sure it’s a true reflection of how he’s going - but he has had a good start to season). However other teams don’t really care if he wins it as nothing really happens offensively.
SI are more of an indication of how heavily your team is scoring. It’s why Melbourne dominated those stats yesterday.

On Topic

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
he's in incredible form at the minute. Would love if he had a little more support but I'm not sure who it can come from given the regulars around him.
Wingard can improve on his current output. Mitchell’s work rate is first class but is struggling to impact at the contest. That’s where I’d be looking for support.

We know Worpel is capable as well. He is just in a bit of a hole at the moment.

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Wingard can improve on his current output. Mitchell’s work rate is first class but is struggling to impact at the contest. That’s where I’d be looking for support.

We know Worpel is capable as well. He is just in a bit of a hole at the moment.
Agreed with everything you've said, but how do we get that to change?
I think one of our issues currently has been that we've only ever had one midfielder in form at a time over the last couple years. I think if we can get another one of our younger mids to come in in place of someone a little more tired such as Shiels or Howe we can see the midfield load being spread a little more evenly.

hawks2021

Cancelled
Apr 5, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I respectfully disagree. Worpel, Shiels, Morrisson & Wingard working overtime cleaning up the mess. Not only are those 4 working on keeping their direct opponent under control, but also need to cover the opponent of our 2 "A grade" mids. they just will not run both ends of the ground.

Zack

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
He's probably been the only shining light of our older players this year. Wingard has been ok until yesterday but missed the first couple.

hawks2021

Cancelled
Apr 5, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He's probably been the only shining light of our older players this year. Wingard has been ok until yesterday but missed the first couple.
you know our small forwards are frustrated when they have to go in the middle to get some decent inside 50 delivery. Wingard & Breust sacrificing their roles to get clearances and the ball moving forward.

I respectfully disagree. Worpel, Shiels, Morrisson & Wingard working overtime cleaning up the mess. Not only are those 4 working on keeping their direct opponent under control, but also need to cover the opponent of our 2 "A grade" mids. they just will not run both ends of the ground.
Maybe mitch but not JOM. He had 6 tackles 2 inside 50 second most on the ground. I don't have the number of pressure acts but he would be up there. JOM is having one of his best seasons for us

He had three score involvements yesterday. His clearances don’t lead to anything. I think we may be setting up for JOM to win a lot of clearances (so not sure it’s a true reflection of how he’s going - but he has had a good start to season). However other teams don’t really care if he wins it as nothing really happens offensively.
He has nobody to give it to & forwards won't lead for him to kick at - what would you have him do?

hawks2021

Cancelled
Apr 5, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Maybe mitch but not JOM. He had 6 tackles 2 inside 50 second most on the ground. I don't have the number of pressure acts but he would be up there. JOM is having one of his best seasons for us
the last quarter of the game was perfectly set up for both them to take over, all the hard work had been done by worpel, shiels & wingard.

over to you boys, lead us.

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think we are a better team with Howe running a tag, but you are right, speed is not his forte.
100% we are.
I think we'll be an even better team when we have one of our leading endurance players in Finn coming in to play that tagging role- one of the things that has been mentioned weekly for a while now is that Finn has been able to get his own ball while tagging and I think that's going to be a really important thing for us over the coming few seasons.

You're joking/trolling, right?
Forwards stand flat footed at the top of the goal square.

Lead - make the ball carrier find you - if they can't, then it'll be on them, but right now the forwards are instructed/incapable of running 30m in a straight line at the ball carrier.

On Topic

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Agreed with everything you've said, but how do we get that to change?
I think one of our issues currently has been that we've only ever had one midfielder in form at a time over the last couple years. I think if we can get another one of our younger mids to come in in place of someone a little more tired such as Shiels or Howe we can see the midfield load being spread a little more evenly.
It almost feels like if one player is on, the rest just sit back and watch. Maybe our mids could work harder bringing each other in the game?

If its simply a form issue then it is up to the player, their direct coach and medicos to get them playing at their best.

On Topic

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just about leading the B&F at this point you’d say along with CJ.
If he could clean up the kicking would be even better..
He has had a number of shots for goal go begging this year. I don't necessarily think his field kicking needs tidying up. It's just not "elite".

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It almost feels like if one player is on, the rest just sit back and watch. Maybe our mids could work harder bringing each other in the game?

If its simply a form issue then it is up to the player, their direct coach and medicos to get them playing at their best.
You often see two of our players wrestling over the ball without too much pressure from the other team as opposed to communicating and extracting effectively.
I think this is where our on-field leadership is lacking currently; too many lead by actions, not enough by words.

hawks2021

Cancelled
Apr 5, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Forwards stand flat footed at the top of the goal square.

Lead - make the ball carrier find you - if they can't, then it'll be on them, but right now the forwards are instructed/incapable of running 30m in a straight line at the ball carrier.
Our mids handball sideways, rather than kick it deep inside 50, even to space. give the forwards a 50/50 chance at least. Instead they butcher kicks inside 50, entries are way too slow. opposition mids fall back and fill space in d50, and because entries are shallow, they rebound it easily and our backs are under the pump again.

Back